Bang Stick wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And what exactly are you gonna be bangsticking? Lots of different sizes depending on what is trying to eat you. I have .357 and a .223, but what I really want is a Farallon Shark Dart which has long been banned by name by most govenments in the free world.

Not entering the pro/con argument. I was just curious to refresh my memory banks on why shark darts were banned? I just seem to have misplaced that bit of info.

N

I would say that anything that fires a shotgun/cartridge from a short barrel is going to be a violation of Federal law and most state laws.

I would say that anything that fires a shotgun/cartridge from a short barrel is going to be a violation of Federal law and most state laws.

A Shark Dart does not fire any explosive rounds, it is a giant hypodermic needle with a CO2 cartridge attached. Jamming the dart into the shark releases the CO2 charge disembowling the shark.

JFYI, I think if the bangstick is "legal" length overall it is not illegal but not an expert on such things since I am not a spearfisherman and am not up on the rules.

N

Hi Nemrod,
I have seen some regs that include a Farallon Shark Dart as a prohibited item but I cannot remember where. I think it was a state reg somewhere. I saw this once when I Googled Farallon Shark Darts before. As far as the powerhead goes there is a BATF reg that it must be attached to a rod to give it a certain length. I cannot remember if the overall length is 16 or 18 inches. Probably 18. Similar to saw-off rifles and shotguns barrel length. As I recall shotguns must have an overall barrel length of at least 18 and rifles must be at least 16". I have seen shops selling powerheads with a piece of 1/8" steel rod tacked onto it to make it a legal overall length. I suspect divers remove the rod and screw it onto their spear. I've been told BATF is satisfied if the PH is screwed onto a spear with Loctite to prevent easy removal.

Were are you goin to be using it, Baltimore? They are illegal to have in FLorida

You need to check the local wild life regs, Florida FWC Florida IWldelife Commision.

You cannot even posess a spear or spear gun in fresh water as it is illegal to spearfish in fresh water.

they are very strick with a zero tollerance. For example ,.. if they catch you with a out of season fish, wrong size etc on your boat , they will porsecute. terrorists, .. tourists want to boat tarpon , big reds , grouper for photos, this is dangerous for the fish as their bodies cannot handle the weight of being removed from the water and put back in. It is illegal to have these fish, harvest, so there is no reason to boat them.

You won't get away from it. There are rewards for reporting violators, eve n boaters drinking.

Spring break is going on down here. I was boating yesterday with a bunch of tourists almost running into me in my boat, then keeping everythng they catch no matter what size. I have a radio and use it to call in for the calvery.

I live here and want to protect our resources from the millions that come down once to rape our area.
FLorida fishing weekly had an item on a shark feeding where a lawyer was eaten by a shark.

We have a lot of suveniors down here with sharks saying send more tourists. Hell we can't even get the dive charters to let us take spear guns when tourists are on board.

I don't think the bang stick would prevent the shark from eating any tourists, actually when attacked they never see it coming, alone get a chance to use such a thing.

They should allow the tourists to carry the bang stick,.. I am sure they would manage to kill a few tourists with it.
My last

Why would you need a bang stick?

I get the impression some posters would like to have one as protection against OOA divers in panic that want to share air... :D

you can have a bangstick in salt water in FL.

I've carried a 30-06 powerhead for 3 years. So far have avoided needing to use it, but while spear fishing I do have somewhat regular run ins with obnoxious bull sharks. So far I've been able to intimidate them into leaving without having to harm one.

Now, I do have a friend who was forced to kill one. It was at the start of the dive, at the surface. He was going spearing but had not started. There were no dead fish, the gun had not been shot yet, nothing. A bull came up off the bottom & got very aggressive with him. He hit it & fended it off a number of times & finally concluded that he would not even be able to climb back into his boat unmolested, so he put a free shaft through it. Bulls are unpredictable, every now & then you get one that just does not behave as most do & won't leave you alone, even without anything to get him started.

just to be sure I'm clear:

I don't worry about sharks. I like seeing them. When I dive and am not spearing, I do not carry anything extra with me.

I don't worry about them when I am spearing unless I see one & it becomes aggressive. My goal is to not kill a shark. My goal is to get back in the boat without being bitten. Preferably with any fish I have. Since I'm not allowed to keep a shark in FL killed with a PH, I have little interest in killing one. I can't eat it, so there's no point in killing one unless that seems to be the only way to get back out of the water intact.

Not a bang stick but very effective:

boets2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom