BCD, Regulator, or Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dive non-sealed piston regs (MK25) all the time. Temps down to less than 32 degrees at times and technical depths. The recommendation from the manufacture is to lower the IP and raise the cracking effort. I used a MK25/S600 for years without a single freeze up.

I would have to go check the books but 1" is less than most manufactures specs.

Thank you for all the input. I am still on the fence but I am now leaning toward a regulator and/or computer.

Since my body type is "fairly" normal and plan to dive in cold (MI) and warm water I was thinking of not going after my wet suit first...as I will likely need two. Using the same logic of fit not being an issue it sounds like waiting on a BCD makes sense.

Michigan? DRY SUIT! :D

Truthfully....after my personal gear (and wetsuit) My next purchase was a wrist computer...after reading an article on the benefits (and not wanting to learn to use the wheel to do multi-level dives) I went with the computer, and was able to use it right away! I rented a few different types of BCD and regulators and settled on a good combination after a while (well for the time, I eventually got rid of the jacket BCD and got a back plate and wing)

Lots of changes since I first got certified, but so far the computer is the only constant! (well the 3mm is still used pretty much when I get to warmer water, or if we do a shallow dive in the local quarry above the thermocline:cool2:)

Happy shopping!

I would go with a Reg/console computer setup first, as stated I like knowing the condition of my regs. The computer can extend your dive times when doing multiple dives over tables. If its one or the other I think I'd head toward the reg.
My personal plan was
Wetsuit (I dive warm water so I only needed a 3mil wetsuit)
Reg / Computer
BCD

Plus one for a computer before reg......

The same computer will work for warm and cold water diving......

In my opinion regs, BCDs, and thermal protection become very dive area specific.....

Plus the computer just makes diving much easier........

Diving for me is all about rest and relaxation so my easy to pack minimum dive kit is....

C-cards, mask, see-me tube, whistle, booties and computer, medic shears.....

I can rent the rest if needed.......

If I have more room then I take a wetsuit, and if I have unlimited space then I add my BP/W, reg and fins......

M

After purchasing my basic equipment (including my suit) I waited until I had tried a variety of BCDs and regs before purchasing both ( I bought them at the same time and got a good discount) I dived on tables until I had done Rescue (about 50 dives) and then bought my computer. The only rental equipment I have ever had malfunction (and on more than one occasion) has been regs, so my advice is to get a good set of your own. (Most dive centres I have been to will rent you a computer some even provide them free of charge in vacation resorts)

Here's my prioritized list, given how you've described your circumstances:

1) Computer. Often unavailable, or overly expensive, to rent. Lightweight and easy to take away on holiday. Aids safety and encourages independance from the 'sheep' mentality of following a divemaster or more experienced buddy. No later requirement to buy a depth gauge for your regulator set.

2) Regulator. Safety and security of having your own (well maintained) regulators. Own purchases are likely (hopefully) to be of better specification than average rental regulators. Can customize mouthpieces for better comfort.

3) BCD. Rentals can sometimes be threadbare, uncomfortable and/or a poor fit. Having your own BCD ensures comfort and quality of the BCD. Own purchases are likely (hopefully) to be of better specification and condition than most rental BCDs. Definitely consider a Backplate & Wing (BP&W) design BCD. There are many threads here dealing with jacket vs BP&W bcds.

4) Wet/Drysuit. You stated you were diving "all over", so there is little point investing in a wet/drysuit that will not be practical in different environments. Wetsuit rental is cheap in holiday destinations. The heaviest and bulkiest item to travel with.

5) Underwater Camera Housing. Not an 'essential' by any means - but getting an underwater housing to fit you digital camera can lead to great fun and memories. Your facebook albums will be bulging with great pics in no time! Renting cameras (you won't be able to rent just a housing for your camera) is expensive.

Just for your interest, there is another simular currently active thread (New to diving. What to buy first?) that may also aid you.

Any recommendations on my next purchase? I live in MI and plan to dive all over...with special trips to warmer weather. I currently own - mask, snorkel, fins, boots, gloves and hood. I am debating what to buy next and I have been leaning toward a dive computer. My rationale is that I can take it with me even when I travel (without having to bring separate luggage when I fly).

I am new to diving (less than a year) and I am working toward my Advanced Open Water Certification. I plan on staying in the recreational limits of diving.

I would get a bcd first as improving your buoyancy skills is one of the most important skills in my book. You can breath from a rental reg or save for decent comp but you can't learn good buoyancy easily when you keep changing your bcd.

A good affordable bcd is the zeagle express tech for $250 & you can get really good regs for $400 including an octo and spg.
HOG D1 1st stage with 2nd stage regulator [HOGregset] - $244.98 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

For a great comp the uwatec tech 2g or the newer 2g can be had for about $350.

SangP

Back
Top Bottom