Belize Nekton Pilot: Crewmember lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry Christmas to you also.

Not looking for an argument - just pointing out that in my diving with Nekton it was common for a crew member to be out on a solo dive. I do not know if they were certified solo or not but I did observe that they had no special gear or back up air supply.

I'd like to make a general point that relates to this general topic but NOT to this particular incident or to Nekton. I know nothing about this particular sad incident.

A few years ago, statistics of diver fatalities in the Blue Hole in Dahab, Egypt showed disproportionately high numbers of recreational DMs and Instructors, diving with their familiar gear of single tank etc. When diving deep from liveaboards (> 40 metres, but suitably equipped) I have often seen "experienced" professional staff doing the same sort of dives, even though they certainly did not have the requisite redundant equipment and probably had no appropriate training either. Too many recreational diving professionals seem to think they are qualified to do anything they want, and too many of those then pay the ultimate price.

All divers, whether professionals or not, should dive within the limits imposed by their training/experience and the equipment carried during the dive.

All divers, whether professionals or not, should dive within the limits imposed by their training/experience and the equipment carried during the dive.
Hear! Hear! And vessels should have (and enforce) rules to that effect.

Ok, I have done four Nekton Diving Cruises. I always ask the location of safety and first aid equipment. This would make me an asset during an emergency involving a crew member. Yes, Nekton vessels are equipped with AED’s . I know that the Rorqual has assisted other vessels with this AED in an emergency. Also, I can tell you Captain Nelson takes safety seriously onboard the Rorqual. I did witness a MOB drill on my NW Bahamas trip.

On day boats that I take out of the Florida Key’s I always ask them if they have an AED. My career was a professional Firefighter and I take safety seriously too. On my NW Bahamas and Cay Lobos trips, I carried a 19 cu ft pony tank with a separate regulator. The reason is self rescue and not knowing who my dive buddies would be for the trips.

Do not book a live aboard vessel that is not equipped with an AED!

I know Cory better then most--He was aways too brave,to willing to take the chance,to willing to do what he knew that he shouldn't. But that was Cory --and thats how he lived his life. To all of you who wrote those wonderful notes I Thank You. To those who weren't as kind-remember-what goes around comes around!!! There is going to be a memorial service on Jan, 18th(his Birthday) in Roanoke IL. If any of you want to send a messenge to be read or posted please send to culmon@msn.com Thank You Cory's heart broken mother Connie

I'm saddened by the loss of any diver, but certainly no fault can be placed on the local authorities as to their response time.....

The principal burden on our sport is on ourselves for engaging in this activity to begin with... Can the drowning then be blamed on the Coast Guard for not having foreseen it 5 minutes earilier....?

It's always tragic reading about a diver death. In this case it sounds like there were a couple mistakes made, but I looked up the dive site, and the floor was at around 135', so that is not terribly deep.

Ron, how familiar are you with the topography and currents at this site? The hometown gossip is the wall dropped 1,000' or more, but I don't see how they could know that. At 135' it seems a thorough search could turn up a -buoyant diver. Does anyone have accurate info on how much of the floor was searched? Of course, a +buoyant diver (in trouble) is probably more likely, and a whole different scenario.

I don't know the area where Cory was lost, but I can tell you that finding a negatively-buoyant body on the barrier reef off San Pedro is a difficult hit-and-miss task. The bottom is so uneven, there are so many places a body can lodge, and the water generally isn't that clear.

I dove this site twice from the Pilot on February 13, 2007. Attached is the dive briefing map showing the site features. I remember the crew talking about the three sand chutes. These did not appeal to me because you entered them around 40' and exited them near 80'. Yes, you could do one but trying them all would put you in YO YO diving. The bottom of the wall is just over 130' (I believe) and my maximum depths were 72' & 70' on the dives.

Night diving for me is done in mostly shallow water. I like depths of 35' to 45' feet it's relaxing and safer. Plus, I never wonder far from the boat at night. We did not night dive at this site. Both dives were in the morning and then were moved to a site called the Aquarium.

QUE BRADA - DIVE SITE MAP - ATTACHED

Attachments

• P2131507 copy.jpg
    P2131507 copy.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 472
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom