Best ~ $140 I've ever spent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides learning about if you did any exercising during your trip, would like to know what the actual diagnosis was and what the treatment was that was given, you said you went in the chamber, but what was the actual chamber treatment, if you care to share or I guess this is all being considered a secret or something or too personal?

If you care to share you do, if you don't you don't. Life will go on. I'm bored by the tedium of the way this thread is turning already like so many do in the Cozumel forum.

I call it a sport. Hobbies like golf & bowling don't kill people. Scuba can.

People are killed golfing (lightning). Stamp collecting is a hobby. Golf and bowling are sports and/or recreational activities. Scuba is a recreational activity.

I agree with mossman. Do not treat this as a trivial event. Go research this forum for the Opal dive (last year?) where she ended up dead and a dive master was paralyzed, possibly for life.

For you to get bent with so few dives raises a flag that you need to get expert medical advice about future diving. Of course there is a chance that there is an explanation that you do not remember, do not see the correlation now, or choose to not reveal. Either way, it will not impact my diving.

Wow...out come the slings and arrows all because I don't feel like posting my dive profile. Seriously, I don't feel like taking the time to do it...get past it.

But hey, it's your life. As long as you feel that it's fine to get bent for no reason as long as DAN pays for the chamber ride, all the power to you

Yes it is my life and at no time did I say I got bent for no reason. Of course there was a reason, what you seem unwilling to accept is that my profile wasn't it. You want my profile and you're going to darn well tell me why I should be sharing it with you it seems. No offense, but my answer is still no. The doctor, who I'm sure is clearly more experienced in making the diagnosis than me or you, had no issues with my profile....his diagnosis was that dehydration was the issue. I'm going to side with him if that's ok.

As for whether or not you think diving is a sport or if you think I'm wrong to consider my DCI as an injury as opposed to an illness, I don't really care. If you want to beat me up over that, have at it....whatever blows your hair back.

why post only half of your information if you are opening your experience for public discussion with the intention of having others learn from your experience. Seems a tad selfish, like you are looking for praise or consolation.

Actually I never posted any of my information other than I was bent. All I said in my original post was that DAN insurance is worth the investment and why. How did you get out of that I was opening my experience with the intention of having others learn? I want neither praise, nor consolation, all I want is what I said, "If you don't have dive insurance, I respectfully suggest you get it."

It is odd that he was impacted on his first dive trip

I didn't say this was my first dive trip, I said it was my first dive trip IN COZUMEL. There's a difference.

I agree with mossman. Do not treat this as a trivial event. Go research this forum for the Opal dive (last year?) where she ended up dead and a dive master was paralyzed, possibly for life

First, I never said I thought it was trivial, I don't, so I agree with Mossman too. Second, I know the event you are talking about...other than DCI being involved and the fact that they were diving and so was I, there's not too much similar between our two dive accidents.

ok...now what else...oh ya..
The next time it happens to you may indeed be your last

You're right. The next time I cross the street may be my last too. Not sure why anyone thinks that I'm not smart enough to find out how to continue to dive and to do so safely. Sure I have less than 100 dives, but sorry, this is not rocket science and I can read and do know how to research. I got bent, I'll deal with it intelligently.

So now to answer some questions that have nothing to do with dire warnings, misreading of my text or putting words into my mouth: (or my profile):D

1 - No I didn't exercise before or after.
2 - my diagnosis was DCS Type II - skin bends
3 - initial treatment was US NAVY TABLE 6 - 4hrs 45 min in the chamber breathing 100% O2 with hydration
4 - follow up was US NAVY TABLE 9 - 2hrs 30min if I recall with 100% O2 more hydration

If you want the symptoms, google skin bends (actually if it were me I'd DuckDuckGo the skin bends). Mine were pretty typical, itchiness and rash on upper torso as well as skin tenderness and swelling. Oh ya, I almost forgot...I had an awesome set of moobs. Women all around me were jealous.

The remainder of my treatment while in Cozumel was resting, drinking water, and lots of it, hanging out with some awesome people and having some laughs. In fact, not just some laughs, a ton of laughs. I also spent a great many hours reading reputable research regarding DCI and its causes and treatment. Then I sat down with the Doctor and discussed future diving and how to further reduce my chances of a subsequent hit. I also got to see lots of pictures of Dr. Piccolo's race car and watched videos of his recent crash. I told him that the next time he races may be his last and he shouldn't take his accident so trivially.....

Last edited:
Dmeeve,

Good to hear that you are doing fine and despite the mishap still had a good time with great friends. That is what truly makes a dive vacation with friends memorable...even though they are probably not the memories you envisioned while planning the trip. :D

Yes it is my life and at no time did I say I got bent for no reason. Of course there was a reason, what you seem unwilling to accept is that my profile wasn't it. You want my profile and you're going to darn well tell me why I should be sharing it with you it seems. No offense, but my answer is still no. The doctor, who I'm sure is clearly more experienced in making the diagnosis than me or you, had no issues with my profile....his diagnosis was that dehydration was the issue. I'm going to side with him if that's ok.

I think you are making the right call, going by what you're doctor says and by what DAN says is the right way to approach you're recovery. I think the reason people are asking for your profile is more out of curiosity than to advise you on improper diving practices. Your original post was about how DAN was a great investment, and I don't see how that obligates you to post your profile, or go into further detail about your incident. Even though I have never been bent, I also agree that DAN is a great investment.

As for whether or not you think diving is a sport or if you think I'm wrong to consider my DCI as an injury as opposed to an illness, I don't really care. If you want to beat me up over that, have at it....whatever blows your hair back.

I agree, doesn't matter what you call it. I have heard it called DeCompression Illness, DeCompression Incident, the bends and the rapture of the deep. I don't see how nitpicking about the correct use of the term adds to the conversation.

So now to answer some questions that have nothing to do with dire warnings, misreading of my text or putting words into my mouth: (or my profile):D

1 - No I didn't exercise before or after.
2 - my diagnosis was DCS Type II - skin bends
3 - initial treatment was US NAVY TABLE 6 - 4hrs 45 min in the chamber breathing 100% O2 with hydration
4 - follow up was US NAVY TABLE 9 - 2hrs 30min if I recall with 100% O2 more hydration

If you want the symptoms, google skin bends (actually if it were me I'd DuckDuckGo the skin bends). Mine were pretty typical, itchiness and rash on upper torso as well as skin tenderness and swelling. Oh ya, I almost forgot...I had an awesome set of moobs. Women all around me were jealous.

The remainder of my treatment while in Cozumel was resting, drinking water, and lots of it, hanging out with some awesome people and having some laughs. In fact, not just some laughs, a ton of laughs. I also spent a great many hours reading reputable research regarding DCI and its causes and treatment. Then I sat down with the Doctor and discussed future diving and how to further reduce my chances of a subsequent hit. I also got to see lots of pictures of Dr. Piccolo's race car and watched videos of his recent crash. I told him that the next time he races may be his last and he shouldn't take his accident so trivially.....

thanks for the extra info. If for nothing else, it gives me an idea of what is ahead if I end up with a skin bend injury when competing in the sport of diving.

Actually oldbear, it was perhaps one of the best holidays I've ever had. The DCI was a bump in the road of life, not my first and not my most serious so I just roll with it, the people I met, now they're the really memorable part of the thing. In all seriousness, my life is much richer because of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom