Best ~ $140 I've ever spent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Extolling the virtues of online scuba training"?...I just said that's how I did it in answer to someone's question about certifying on vacation....never said anything about it being good nor bad. In case you're wondering, no, I didn't dive beyond my training. Others far more experienced than you or I took a look at my ascent rates...no issue there.

you likely have some physiological issues that would potentially predispose you to getting bent again

More than likely, especially if I were to dive the exact same profile, which I'm not going to do.
I got injured while involved in a sport and I ended up in the hospital for treatment...hardly the first time that has happened to me and it may or may not be the last.

I took the hit, everyone else was fine and continued their diving. I exercise 3-4 times weekly , I am not obese and I am in my 50's. I was probably less hydrated than I should have been.

Did you exercise while on your dive vacation? I'm asking because this is the current medical hot topic in regard to DCS whether exertion from exercising close to diving can contribute to DCS or not.

I am not fully aware of all the latest "best advice" on diving but I would postulate that even diving in accordance with all suggested profile traits, a small number of people could still get bent. Maybe it is at the multi-sigma outlier level. In other words, maybe dmeeve is that 1 in 10,000 diver.

That raises the question is that if dmeeve is that unique person who has a better chance of being bent, how much do they modify their diving to get away from that 1 in 10,000 scenario?

PS, diving is not a sport.

I got injured while involved in a sport and I ended up in the hospital for treatment...hardly the first time that has happened to me and it may or may not be the last.
An "injury" is when someone drops a tank on your foot and breaks a toe. An injury is when a moray bites your hand.

DCI does not stand for "decompression injury" it stands for "decompression illness". You got sick, apparently for no good reason. If there's no good reason why you got sick, there are only bad reasons.

The next time it happens to you may indeed be your last. Unlike a broken toe, which rarely has complications leading to paralysis or death, you can't say the same about DCI.

But hey, it's your life. As long as you feel that it's fine to get bent for no reason as long as DAN pays for the chamber ride, all the power to you :shakehead:

mossman, as Mike mentions, perhaps there is something that may explain it that dmeeve has not thought about yet. It is odd that he was impacted on his first dive trip.

Another nit is the cost. I checked the DAN website and the highest costing policy is $75 USD a year. Does it cost more for Canucks?

mossman, as Mike mentions, perhaps there is something that may explain it that dmeeve has not thought about yet. It is odd that he was impacted on his first dive trip.

Another nit is the cost. I checked the DAN website and the highest costing policy is $75 USD a year. Does it cost more for Canucks?

I would have to check but I believe I paid more than $75.......I got the top plan which I believe is rather useless to me since I have since heard (unverified) that they will not honor part of the policy for non-US residents. So, it is possible that we Canucks get charged more but yet unverified.

I have no idea what Steve thinks is bad about his DAN plan?

From the info given, it's very surprising that he took a hit - but caca happens.
caca-1.png
Sometimes hits are unexplained. I saw one once, in Coz - much worse. If he doesn't want to share more info, that's his call.

PS, diving is not a sport.
I call it a sport. Hobbies like golf & bowling don't kill people. Scuba can.

$75 + $35 membership = $110 = about $108 Canadian dollars.

I don't understand not posting the computer download, especially if you were doing a normal dive within standards.

It would be nice to see the profiles if you have them available. It is rare to see specifics, yet they are the most helpful information. It's been said 1000x DAN is great as is Dr Piccolo (sorry I know I misspelled but I can't double check on my phone...) this is not new information. Point is, why post only half of your information if you are opening your experience for public discussion with the intention of having others learn from your experience. Seems a tad selfish, like you are looking for praise or consolation.

I'm glad you are ok. Truly. I am also glad you did not lose your home over the accident/incident.

I wish I could learn more from this other than I may get a random hit on a regular random day for no other reason than my number is up and I had better have DAN there to foot the bill of this unavoidable incident in recreational diving.

Edit- discussing your symptoms and physical experience of the onset and development would be great info to learn from as well, if you happen to have the time/ desire to relay such information.

I don't understand not posting the computer download, especially if you were doing a normal dive within standards.
:silly:

From the info given, it's very surprising that he took a hit - but caca happens.
caca-1.png
Sometimes hits are unexplained. I saw one once, in Coz - much worse. If he doesn't want to share more info, that's his call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom