Best dives in Indonesia - need to focus on a specific area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggest to go there in 2-3 weeks later, Augus/September. I have been in mid July and saw none.
Dates are locked in, last week of July at Tulamben and first week of August at Lembongan. I was there in June this year and didn't see any, that's why I made it later next year. Fingers crossed

My first trip to Bali when I dove Lembongan, it just happened to be Nyepi, Ogah Ogah was the day before... so all the Hindus were doing the fasting/ resting thing. It was two Muslims on the boat (driver and DM) and me.

The current was whipping, about 4 knots. I hit the water, the DM went in perhaps 30 seconds after me and I was already 50m away. No way to fight that current, kicking against it would only reduce your backward movement to a slow walk rather than a jog.

Pretty hairy stuff, but great fun once I relaxed and went with the flow. It was like I was Superman flying through schools of brightly colored fish and coral gardens. The boat went slightly ahead and shadowed us from the front to catch us at the mouth of the channel as we finished.

I had done Palau not too long previously and remember thinking there were even more and greater varieties of sea life present.

I plan on going to off of a beaten path of Indonesia in 2021 and have been doing some research and came up with this recently gaining popularity as Scuba Junkie start to open their business there: Sangalaki-Kakaban-Maratua 4-10 August, 2021 with 15% off.

I’m putting together a parallel tour for the non-diver significant others to take while the divers are in the liveaboard trip. At the end, we’ll spend a few days in Bali together, before heading home. Since it will be in August, the peak season of Mola Mola, we would certainly won’t miss that opportunity to dive in Nusa Penida then.

One of my dive buddies’ wife (non-diver) seems to like my parallel tour idea, so I already have 2 non-divers to join me on this upcoming trip. I’ll post the non-diver parallel tours on that thread later.

Let me know what you guys think about the place and the trip itinerary. They have almost everything underwater that any other place in Indonesia have to offer (except may be wobbegong and walking sharks of Raja Ampat).

Cheers,
Dan

Back
Top Bottom