Blu-ray on regular DVD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshallkarp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife got me the Panasonic BD35 blu-ray player for Christmas. I finally got around to trying to burn my HD videos onto regular DVD. Here is where I am at so far.

I take the m2t file and convert it to mkv using Handbrake. I use TSmuxer to export out the files for the blu-ray menu. I use Image Burn to burn the files to a regular dvd.

Yesterday, I was able to watch HD picture on my big screen DLP as the blu-ray player reads AVCHD. However, my hang-up is I have no sound. The problem is the output from Handbrake to TSmuxer, the video shows up in the menu, but the audio doesn't. I convert the sound with the video in Handbrake to AC3 and AAC, which TSmuxer says it can read, but it doesn't show up in the menue.

Anyone else working along these lines and crack this. I hate to waste the time if someone has already invented the wheel. Besides posting our HD videos on Vimeo, it would be valuable to burn hard copy HD dvds.

Ron, thanks for trying to help, but I don't have Sony DVD Architect 5.0 with Blu-ray template. But hey, why do things the easy way when you can do them the hard way, right?

I have a few more things to try on the audio. If I can get this, I will publish the steps. Again, got the video going, just need to get the audio.

Okay, I got the audio problem solved, at least on a short test clip. Once I replicate the process and burn the entire video, and it all works, I will detail the process.

Okay, here is the formula for burning a AVCHD red laser disc that my Panasonic BD-35 Blu-Ray player reads, displays, and shows. This was done with all freeware programs, except, the first step, but you could do it with freeware.

Step One

You need a separate AC3 (or AAC) audio file and a MKV video file. The first thing I did was use Sony Vegas to render my 14 minute video to Dolby Digital 5.1 AC3. This took just over a minute to render. An early test was rendering to stereo and this worked, too.

Also, an early test was converting the audio to AAC using super c, which worked, too, and is freeware. SUPER © .

Okay, you have the audio done, simple. Now, for the video.

Step Two

You need the video in MKV format. If you can render to that somehow, do so, Sony Vegas won't do that. So, I used Handbrake (just google it). I took the raw capture m2t file and

1. Opened (source) it in Handbrake
2. Set the destination output file to a name, directory, and mkv
3. Video tab - click decomb
4. Video tab - Deinterlace - slower
5. Video tab - Bit Rate 5000
6. Uncheck Advanced Encoding Setting
7. Audio tab - set to none, you already have your separate audio file, why take the time and the space? TSmuxer (below) won't read it from here, anyway.
8. Click start

My 14 minute video took four and a half hours to render. Now, I am all for a positive attitude and optimism, but I would not do a long render for a first time and hope to get lucky. I probably did about 10 trials with a minute clip until I got the process down.

Also, if someone wants to tweak these setting, please do. I just used the ones that i set for a Vimeo HD files.

Step Three

You have the mkv video file and the AC3 audio file. Now, go to this video at youtube, follow these directions, and finish this up:

YouTube - Burning Blu-Ray (.MKV) to DVD
Burning Blu-Ray (.MKV) to DVD

You will need TSmuxer and Image Burn, both free downloads. Tsmuxer took the mkv and AC3 files and rendered the BDMV and Certificate directories in 24 seconds. Image burn took about 3 minutes to red laser burn the directories to my regular DVD.

Step Four

Put dive video DVD in your blu-ray player and enjoy

Our buy Nero 9! Even 8 has HD-DVD and Blu-Ray!

Hold on. Marshall is talking about burning onto a standard DVD using a standard DVD burner, creating a full resoluton HD DVD playable on a set-top Blu-Ray player. Are you sure Nero and Pinnacle do that ?

Hold on. Marshall is talking about burning onto a standard DVD using a standard DVD burner, creating a full resoluton HD DVD playable on a set-top Blu-Ray player. Are you sure Nero and Pinnacle do that ?

From Pinnacle:
Pinnacle Studio Plus works natively with HDV and AVCHD footage. Native HD support means you'll get the same pristine quality from your original source all the way to final output--without transcoding and in real-time. You can even combine projects that mix standard and high definition video and photos for a final result in full HD resolution

Built-in HD Disc Burning
Burn your Hollywood-style movies on DVD and HD DVD format discs on standard DVD media. Natively author Blu-ray format discs with full motion menus. Or make AVCHD format discs on standard DVDs to play on Blu-ray players.

Wow, if that works as advertised it's a very neat feature and makes you wonder why you need a blu-ray burner ?

I'm kinda cynical though. This reminds of when DVD burners 1st came out. People were trying to get DVD quality videos onto CD's with a CD burner. CD software mfrs. had all kinds of claims, but in the end, it produced a low resolution version. For DVD quality, you had to use multiple different sw programs and even then, no guarantee it would work in all DVD players.

Has anyone actually done this with Nero, Pinnicle or any other single sw program ? Is the video quality full resolution ? Maybe, I'll download the trial version and see for myself.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom