Blu-ray on regular DVD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure Marshall is not recording underwater uncompressed 1080p via HDMI to a separate hard drive. Who is ? Maybe a few pro's, but no hobbyist is doing it. I think he and most of us are looking to create a blu-ray disk that looks as good as the original raw footage recorded to the camcorder. That means HDV, a compressed consumer HD format, 1080i on tape or AVCHD on the camcorder drive.

The sw programs mentioned, Nero, Pinnicle and Vegas create blu-ray discs on standard DVD by rendering the original footage to AVCHD which compresses the original raw camcorder recorded footage. The file size is going to be a lot smaller than 1940x1080p uncompressed footage recorded via HDMI.

I don't know if Marshall created a standard DVD or not, but just because the file size is smaller than 25mb per second does not automatically mean it's a standard DVD.

Thanks, but I understood completely! HDV or any compressed format is going to be more than one gig for 20 minutes is all I am saying and therefore very degraded HD! If you render in 720x480p it is low HD, but it is HD and with up-scaling DVD players including newer Blu-Ray's the quality is wonderful! But putting it on a standard DVD is convenient and cost effective, but if his video is using one gig for 20 minutes it is not the best you can get or that will play in all DVDs! That was my point! I was pointing it out and that for a little money or sometimes bundled in existing programs that you can make a Low HD standard DVD that will play on just about all the DVD players in use! I was using the HDMI to prove the amount of data needed for true HD and Blu-ray! That was my only point about size! True Blu-Ray disk is 38 gigs because it has to be to handle the HD data!

I produce 720x480p HDV DVDs that play on any DVD player made in the last 3 years and on the up scaling ones you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the it and a much more expensive Blu-Ray, again bang for the buck!

Marshall,

What happens if you play the disk in a non Blu-Ray DVD player?

I just used a Canon standalone burner (DW-100) to make an AVCHD format Hi-Def DVD but it only works in a Blu-Ray player.

Last night in Vegas I rendered a 5 minute video from my 1080i HDV camcorder on to a standard DVD using the AVCHD "blu ray" format. Played it on my samsung blu ray player, it looked great.

I'll have to check the filesize when I get home. I should really do a side by side comparison with the AVCHD blu ray disk, original played from the camcorder and the m2t file played from the Western Digital media player.

Ok here is what I found in my test. Original footage came from a 1080i HDV camcorder on tape.

Watched same video back to back approx. 5 minutes long on:

Camcorder playing tape
AVCHD rendered in Vegas, onto a standard DVD, played on a blu ray player
Raw m2t file on memory stick played on a Western digital media player

All connected via HDMI to an HDTV. I could not see a difference. They all looked the same to me, which was great. Although not as good as a Hollywood produced 1080p Blu Ray disc like Dark Knight.

Filesizes were:
Raw m2t: approx 1 gig
AVCHD: approx 718 mb

Looks like I could get approx 30 minutes of AVCHD video onto a standard dvd, no menus, just straight video. Pretty cool you can do this without a blu ray burner. However, I still think my Western digital media player will be worth more than it's $100 cost because of the HD content on the web now and in the future.

Last edited:
This is from a thread over at wetpixel.com by wolfeeldiver. About how much video can fit on a regular DVD.

from the Sony DVD Architect 5.0 manual.. it says in regards to this topic:
"A 4.7 GB single-layered DVD recordable disc can store approx. 1 hr, 17 minutes of 8Mbs AVC or MPEG-2 video, 40 minutes of 15 Mbps AVC video, or 26 minutes of 25 Mbps MPEG-2 Video"

Hope that helps this discussion.

By the way ronscuba, that is an interesting comparison that you did. I think this is an important subject to discuss due to the growing availability and affordability of the HD home video equipment. That Flip HD camcorder is $200 and records an hour of HD video. Okay, so there is no u/w housing for it, turn it on, put it in a clear otter box, and take it to 100 feet for an hour (I know, I know, that's just the limit for the memory and the otter box). The blu-ray players are in the $200 price range, too. I think we are at the beginning edge of how to do this and where some of us were three, four, five, six years ago with how to burn SD video on a regular DVD as the technology was becoming available and affordable for the home consumer then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom