Blu-ray on regular DVD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only difference is storage size! You can't get more than 20 minutes on a standard DVD. I do it all the time and yes it works, Pinnacle was bought by Avid a couple years ago and Avid does it as well. Sorenson Squeeze works too!

I wonder if my method would get more than the 20 minutes? I have 14 minutes and it appears to only take up less than 1/4 to 1/3 of the disc. The mkv file is a render to h.264 compression.

Golly, for 14 minutes, it took 4.5 hours of rendering. Another 6 minutes would get me to over 6 hours of rendering. Well, get it going before I go to bed and let it render all night.

Hey look, the HD player technology is out there. Just never made sense to me to show the HD video from my camera via HDMI cable to my HD LCD TV or downconvert the gorgeous HD video to standard DVD. If you want to buy the Sony Vegas Pro, Pinnacle, Avid, Nero, fine. If not, there is a freeware way to do things.

Silly me, looks like my own software, Vegas, has this option of burning Blu Ray to a standard dvd. Someone over on the DVinfo Vegas board says it works great for him. Have to try it when I get home.

20 minutes is about perfect for me. Any video I make longer than that people start to lose interest. Come to think of it, my 5 minute preview videos are a lot more popular than the full length versions, LOL !!!

Last edited:
You can always get more money, but you can't buy time already spent! BTW if it is only taking a 1/4 of a standard disk then the compression is not HD! True Blu-Ray or 1980x1040P is 25mb per sec uncompressed! What your getting is SD or 480p maybe 720p formatted to play in Blu-Ray! When I do a 720p DVD it holds 0ne hour at 5mb per sec. The quality is very high and the files are huge!

You can always get more money, but you can't buy time already spent! BTW if it is only taking a 1/4 of a standard disk then the compression is not HD! True Blu-Ray or 1980x1040P is 25mb per sec uncompressed! What your getting is SD or 480p maybe 720p formatted to play in Blu-Ray! When I do a 720p DVD it holds 0ne hour at 5mb per sec. The quality is very high and the files are huge!

Hmm, this gets more interesting. Again, I passed the m2t captured file along to the mkv h.264 rendering and left the width, height, and frame rate the same as the source. At the end of the process, my TSmuxed stream is showing 1440x1080, 29.97 fps. That is what got burned to the DVD.

What burn program? Maybe it is compressing the file? True 1080p is 60 frames per sec and again 25mbps where 720p in minimum compression runs 5mbps and uses 4.1 plus Gigs for about an hour. Ratio of the frame depends on how it is recorded and what aspect ratio your going for. If is was shot wide angle 16:9 1940x1080p the only way to get it out of the camera uncompressed is HDMI. If you're using fire wire your already compressing the picture. There is inherently more data at the uncompressed and higher frame rates and depending on interlace vs progressive scan! So is it that your Blu-ray will play standard DVD's or are you authoring true Blu-ray disk? From the 20 minutes on a standard DVD taking up 1/4 of the disk or a little over a gig I would say you are creating a standard DVD format! Try it in a Standard DVD player and see if it plays!

Some Blu Ray players will play high def content off normal DVDs. Of course, you can't get as much on a normal DVD but most dive vids are short.

A standard DVD player won't play content with a resolution higher than 720 X 480

Yes, we need to see if this is showing HD or very good SD. The original captured file was 2.55 gb for the 14 minutes. The mkv h.264 compressed video file is 497 mb, AC3 audio is 44.9 mb.

..... If is was shot wide angle 16:9 1940x1080p the only way to get it out of the camera uncompressed is HDMI. If you're using fire wire your already compressing the picture. There is inherently more data at the uncompressed and higher frame rates and depending on interlace vs progressive scan! .....

I'm pretty sure Marshall is not recording underwater uncompressed 1080p via HDMI to a separate hard drive. Who is ? Maybe a few pro's, but no hobbyist is doing it. I think he and most of us are looking to create a blu-ray disk that looks as good as the original raw footage recorded to the camcorder. That means HDV, a compressed consumer HD format, 1080i on tape or AVCHD on the camcorder drive.

The sw programs mentioned, Nero, Pinnicle and Vegas create blu-ray discs on standard DVD by rendering the original footage to AVCHD which compresses the original raw camcorder recorded footage. The file size is going to be a lot smaller than 1940x1080p uncompressed footage recorded via HDMI.

I don't know if Marshall created a standard DVD or not, but just because the file size is smaller than 25mb per second does not automatically mean it's a standard DVD.

Back
Top Bottom