Books that include diving or anything ocean related.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my favorite "diving" books is Drowned Hopes by Donald Westlake. The essential plot of the story is, before being cought, a bank robber burries his loot in a town that is flooded when a reservoir was created while he was in prison. Anyway, he gets a team of non-diving criminals together to retrieve the money. They learn to dive and their first plan is to just follow an old map, walk along the bottom of the lake to where the money is an simply dig it up. Nothing goes according to plan and its all very funny. Westlake does a good job describing the diving scenes.

I'll second this, it was a great read!

I borrowed this book from my father-in-law and absolutely loved it. It tells the story of the true-life rescue in 1939 of 33 crew members trapped in the submarine Squalus which disappeared during a test dive off the New England coast in 250 feet of water. The book focuses of Swede Momsen, the Navy's top researcher into dive safety and the development of tools to rescue survivors of a submarine accident. The book is fascinating reading for anyone interested in the initial research into dive science.

Amazon.com: The Terrible Hours: The Greatest Submarine Rescue in History (9780060932770): Peter Maas: Books

Then you will want tobe alert to "The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Ettiquette" due out in June. Seriously funny, mostly true, lots of good suggestions based on experiences shared in a humorous and sometimes sarcatic way. By yours truly and my wife Debbie
DivemasterDennis

I would second the recommendation for The Terrible Hours. I found it a fascinating read, and it had some very interesting information on the early history of US Navy helium diving.

Another book I finished recently was Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea by Gary Kinder. Although not really involving scuba diving much at all, it was a fascinating story of an outside-the-box thinker and how he developed the machinery and techniques to find and salvage an incredible treasure ship.

The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette- funny, informative, and written by yours truly. Amazon or barnesandnoble,com, paperback or e-book.
If your on either web site, do a search for "scuba diving." Amazon has almost 1800 titles, and barnes and noble about 700. It's easy browsing, and they include print and e-books.

Last edited:
For leisure reads, a number of Clive Cussler's novels puts characters in scuba gear, in submarines, as well as on a badass converted Freighter war vessel sailing around the Mediterranean. He has multiple running series along these lines. Check out the NUMA files series (based on Scripps) and The Oregon series (the Oregon is the name of the above mentioned Freighter).
The Plague Ship opens up with main characters donning dive gear and sneaking into an Iranian sub facility, SEAL-style, to steal Russian developed torpedoes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom