Bought a BP/W...Finally

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving4ever

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally bought a BP/W set up. Can't wait to try it out in Kona in a couple of weeks.

As a large diver I've been looking for a good BCD solution for a while and finally settled on the Halcyon Infinity with a steel plate and 30lb wing.
I wasn't happy about the additional buoyancy from the neoprene covered back plate, but I really liked the ability to easily tighten (cinch) the shoulder straps. I also got bright blue solid webbing (which I like better than the blue Hs)--very cool looking. If you are in the Bay Area and looking to buy gear, I can't reccomend All Water Sports in San Jose highly enough. Awesome service and totally worth the 90 minute drive to get there.

I've never dove a BP/W before (or even a back-inflate BCD), so I'm guessing it will take me a few dives to get used to it and get the fit dialed in. The staff told me that if it was too tight/bothersome on my shoulder/underarm I could set the webbing up so it crossed behind my neck and that would move the webbing in a little. Has anyone done this? I looked for a tutorial online but didn't see one. Curious if anyone is diving with that harness set-up.

Also, any general advice for how to get the fit sorted out or general tips are most appreciated.

Advice from SB was really helpful in figuring our what I needed to buy...so thanks all.

.... The staff told me that if it was too tight/bothersome on my shoulder/underarm I could set the webbing up so it crossed behind my neck and that would move the webbing in a little. Has anyone done this? I looked for a tutorial online but didn't see one. Curious if anyone is diving with that harness set-up.

Crossing webbig behind neck is another proper way to setup the webbing, but I have usually seen it with very smaller diver with narrow shoulder. You mention you are large diver. I don't see a reason doing so. Here is a very good instruction:
BAUE How To Size a Backplate

I also got an Infinity not too long ago and didn't like the paddings on both the shoulder and plate, so I removed them. The padding on the plates are held by 6 screws if I recall and was a bit of a pain to get off cos you need to hold on to the back of the screw base that's between the plate and part of the padding while turning the screwdriver on the other side. I eventually gave up and went back to the diveshop I got it from to get them off for me.

Not sure I understand the bit about the webbing crossing behind the neck, I never had any issues with how the harness was configured so I left it as it was.

Wanna sell the padding? Wife uses it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom