BP/W for a New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"only for tech divers"......what a shame and totally untrue.

I started with a SS back plate,wing and weighted STA with two trim pockets on the lower cam. I use this system for all my single tank diving. When I go doubles, switch wings. You have to "upgrade" later. I take my gear on all my vacations.

You really don't need multiple plates. Also, don't rule out local diving. A drysuit will take care of that.

And find a new shop!
Wanna bet her shop doesn't carry BPW's.

I do have both an aluminum and a steel plate as I dive with steel tanks exclusively.

Oh. seasss... You might reach out to TS and M. I'm pretty sure she is about your size. She'll explain the option of crossing your harness straps behind the shoulders for a small framed person.

Wanna bet her shop doesn't carry BPW's.

I do have both an aluminum and a steel plate as I dive with steel tanks exclusively.

Wanna bet????? No. I'm not surprised her lds doesn't carry BPW's. That's why I suggested finding another shop that does.

Edit: I would not want to further train at a that shop as well.

Hello! I am a new diver and I'm interested in a backplate and wing combo for a BC.

I would really appreciate some assistance from the highly experienced divers here! :)

I'm short and petite and a BP/W set up was recommended to me to likely fit better than a jacket-style BC. I've seen many people here speak very highly of this type of BC set up, as well as other places on the web, and now I'm extremely interested in getting one for myself. I asked my local dive shop about them, but was told that they're only for tech divers...which I've read here is not necessarily true.

I have a bunch of questions :p

I'm mostly interested in this set up for travel. I live in Canada and *for now* I plan to do most of my diving travelling. I don't think I'm ready for cold water yet! And to buy more gear for cold water is more than I want to spend at the moment. So, I would require this BC for travel, warm salt water, use with a 3-5mm wetsuit, single tank diving, rental tank and regulators (for now rental regulators), and if it makes any difference, I'm 5'1" and <100lbs.

Backplate: Steel? Aluminum? Ultra-light travel?
I reckon that if I use a steel backplate, then I may need to wear less weight? But could I potentially be overweighted?
What are the pros/cons of any of these?
I'm quite interested in the Oxycheq Ultra-light Travel BP, which seems to work well and be comfortable? Would it be more worthwhile to get a steel or aluminum one?

Wing: 18lb? 25lb? 30lb? How much lift do I need? (I think this question may get asked a lot here - I've tried to research this, but I'm still too new to diving to know the buoyancy characteristics of my wetsuit and tank and everything else.)
It seems like quite a few people use an 18lb lift wing for travel diving in warm waters... I may be using a thicker wetsuit however, and it would probably be more ideal for my BP/W to be able to serve me in cold waters as well in case decide to do this. Or would an 18lb lift wing be good in any case?

Other questions:
BPs I'm considering are the Oxycheq ultra-light travel one, but I would also love some recommendations for steel or aluminum ones (particularly if they come in a shorter size, as I suspect this would be more comfortable for me) or thoughts on this.

Wings I'm considering are the Oxycheq 18# Mach V, Oxycheq 30# Mach V, and the Hollis S25. Thoughts or comparison of any of these? Could I use a Hollis wing with an Oxycheq BP?

How do I know when I need a single tank adapter?

Anything else I should know or consider? Comfort / Quality of any of the brands etc mentioned?

Thank you for any help!!

I would steer clear of any specific 'travel' equipment and instead look for the right equipment for the job.

If traveling / weight is important then aluminum is the way forward. Weight can always be added to an aluminum BP&W set up but cant be removed from a steel one. However, its nice to have weight in the plate and not on a belt or in trim pockets. In a drysuit, steel is great but then you want aluminum if you end up diving big double steels! Most of us end up buying both for these reasons.

However, as you weigh less than 100lbs, you probably have a RMV of .3 or something equally annoying to us out of shape old male farts, so I cant see you in big double steel 130's anytime soon. You also wont need any weight either, Im sure your canister light will be adequate so Im leaning towards an aluminum :)

The rated lift of wings is only a guide and varies massively between brands. 30lb is a good benchmark for a single wing to fit a petite person.

Tobin makes great small plates, as does Halcyon. For me, a great plate is the depth of the V, the angle and position of the cuts for the webbing. All of these affect trim and a poor plate in this area is a total no - go for me in warm water wetsuit diving.

Good luck!

"How do I know when I need a single tank adapter?" I have not seen a wing that I thought was worth a darn with out a single tank adapter. You're definately headed in the right direction with the BP/W set up. It's unfortunate the diving community as a whole has not figured out that the BP/W is vastly superior to a BC and that we continue to teach students in BCs. Good luck with your search.

"How do I know when I need a single tank adapter?" I have not seen a wing that I thought was worth a darn with out a single tank adapter.

Have you seen or used a DSS wing and DSS plate? No need for any adapters with these.....

Tobin

Oxcycheq make great equipment. I like steel and will also suggest no more than a 30lb wing.

The DSS wings hold the tank perfectly stable without an STA -- even the big 130s my husband likes.

I really like the Halcyon small pattern plate, because the top slots are set closer together, removing the necessity to cross the straps. But it does not come with camband slots, and if you are diving a single tank exclusively, camband slots are very nice and an STA is an unnecessary nuisance.

Tobin's small Kydex plate might be just your answer -- but cross your straps, unless you are broad in the shoulders for your size, or you will be annoyed at the straps digging into your upper arms and sliding off your shoulders.

I put a couple of XS Scuba weight pouches on my cambands and put weights in them, when I am diving aluminum tanks. It works great, makes the rig light for packing, and easy to haul around on land. Every boat I've ever been on has had some weights.

Tobin's advice on wing size is right on, as Tobin's advice about gear things generally is.

Thanks so much for all the amazing info everyone!! You guys are so helpful!! :)

I know everyone has different preferences, but I'm getting a little confused now lol

It sounds ideal to use a steel backplate and not have to wear additional weights, but I worry about being overweighted...

As well, I am conflicted as to whether it is best to have a smaller 18-20lb lift wing for warm water and a larger one for cold water, or if I should have one 30lb lift wing to serve both functions. I see people recommending both stances... (of course I understand that everyone's preferences are different, but still..)

A 30lb wing is too big for warm water?

Would an 18-20lb lift wing be enough if I were to wear a 5mm wetsuit in warm water (I assume having to then wear more weight?)?

Any thoughts on the Hollis S25 wing as a) being small enough for warm water, b) being large enough for cold water, and c) both?

Thanks again :) I really appreciate it!

You've got plenty of info to mull over. However, I might add one thing: As you are only 5'1", you might find that an AL80 tank is long for you, something you will experience as your reg hitting you in the back of the head and the bottom of the tank pressing on your butt and making arching your back difficult. What might help is a setup that gets the tank off your back a bit, which means using an STA and perhaps a plate with a deeper spine. Tobin's plates are great--I use his short SS plate and also short Kydex plate. However, I use an STA with them. Tobin's plate are flatter than most, and Dive Rite plates are also on the flatter side. Halcyon and Oxy make short plates with deeper spines. So this is something you might want to think about.

Back
Top Bottom