BP&W input from LDS (what do you think)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
Before I start, I was certified just under two years ago. I will have my advanced for this season. I currently use a scubapro classic plus. Nice bc, I am pretty happy with it but is so bulky. I don't like that I can't put things where I want them etc. It's surface properties are great, floats easy and upright etc. As everyone knows, bp&w are the way of most on the board here. Curiosity has led me to research and ultimately buy a plate and one piece harness (ss hammerhead II with STA). I did not get the plate form my LDS because I wanted this specific plate. However, I wanted to get the wing from my LDS because I try to get most of my stuff from him , you know, support your lds. I knew he was an oms and dive rite dealer so I figured I'd get his input and order one. Instead of enthusiasm he was pessimistic. He said I could'nt photograph with a bp/w. He said, they'll pitch you forward on the surface. He said my classis plus is much better for me. He said a bp&w are only well suited for doubles and tech diving. It all seems to make sense, especially because he was not trying to sell me anything but only plug the bc I already have. That being said, I left rather discouraged and came home to find my plate, sta and harness had arrived. I rigged it up this evening and have to say I already like the feel. My plans for diving are a mixed bag. Up until now I've done some reef diving, lots of beach dives and one wreck. I intend to get out in the ocean this year and get down to more wrecks and see some of what I have here on Long Island as I don't get to vacation much. I don't intend on taking my camera all the time and have no plans of ever diving doubles. So after all this, my question is, is he right? (my lds) If I do pursue the BP&W, should I get it on my own or go back to my LDS? Are all you BP&W people tech divers?

Your LDS is full of it. IMHO BP/Wings is the only way to dive. Get a wing from anywhere you want,maybe a used one if cost is an issue. I doubt you will regret it.

sorry to say but your LDS is full of ****. get a nice "donut" type wing, be it Halcyon, DiveRite, or other and never look back!

oversea:
I rigged it up this evening and have to say I already like the feel.

You already know what to do. Keep going.

oversea:
Are all you BP&W people tech divers?

No. I've been diving a BP/W now since my 1st post-certification dive.

I did have issues with it pitching me forwards when I wore an AL80 rental tank (even with a steel tank). I also had trim issues with the upper half of my body being way too buoyant and not being able to hold proper trim at all. A steel tank fixed both of those issues. Alternatively, I could have used a weighted STA or tank weights. Also you can use the placement of your weights around your belt to adjust trim (towards back = more head-up, towards front = more head down). If I didn't have a drysuit and dive with so much buoyant material and so much weight to offset it, I doubt it would have been an issue at all. The times that I've had the BP/W + AL80 in the pool with my shorts on trim and buoyancy weren't an issue.

The BP/W may make you have to think about your weight distribution and trim a little more consciously than a jacket BC, but thats a good thing.

Another way to fix a pitch-axis trim inbalance is to switch to a knee-bent frog kick, then you can adjust the angle of your bent knees to get your trim evened out. (See my avatar pic for example)

oversea:
Before I start, I was certified just under two years ago. I will have my advanced for this season. I currently use a scubapro classic plus. Nice bc, I am pretty happy with it but is so bulky. I don't like that I can't put things where I want them etc. It's surface properties are great, floats easy and upright etc. As everyone knows, bp&w are the way of most on the board here. Curiosity has led me to research and ultimately buy a plate and one piece harness (ss hammerhead II with STA). I did not get the plate form my LDS because I wanted this specific plate. However, I wanted to get the wing from my LDS because I try to get most of my stuff from him , you know, support your lds. I knew he was an oms and dive rite dealer so I figured I'd get his input and order one. Instead of enthusiasm he was pessimistic. He said I could'nt photograph with a bp/w. He said, they'll pitch you forward on the surface. He said my classis plus is much better for me. He said a bp&w are only well suited for doubles and tech diving. It all seems to make sense, especially because he was not trying to sell me anything but only plug the bc I already have. That being said, I left rather discouraged and came home to find my plate, sta and harness had arrived. I rigged it up this evening and have to say I already like the feel. My plans for diving are a mixed bag. Up until now I've done some reef diving, lots of beach dives and one wreck. I intend to get out in the ocean this year and get down to more wrecks and see some of what I have here on Long Island as I don't get to vacation much. I don't intend on taking my camera all the time and have no plans of ever diving doubles. So after all this, my question is, is he right? (my lds) If I do pursue the BP&W, should I get it on my own or go back to my LDS? Are all you BP&W people tech divers?

No ... I dive mostly singles, and mostly recreational, and never in anything except a BP/wing. In fact, even for my pool sessions I use an aluminum backplate and TransPlate harness. Your LDS owner is simply not feeding you correct information.

Since he's not giving you accurate information, I'd be leery about buying a wing from him ... perhaps he wouldn't steer you toward something that would adequately suit your needs. Frankly, sounds like he's never used a wing before, and is just perpetuating myths.

If you're diving singles, there are several well-designed wings on the market that are worth looking at ... Oxycheq and Halcyon are probably preferred by most people who dive singles configurations. Deep Sea Supply also makes a very nice 30-lb wing that's worth looking at. I tested one not too long ago and was very impressed with its performance (and I'm a 250 lb drysuit diver using large steel cylinders). I've dived several Dive Rite wings, and although they get the job done, I don't think they perform as well as the others I've mentioned. If you really want to go with Dive Rite, I'd recommend looking at the Venture wing ... it's more of a pure singles wing than their other offerings (Trek and Rec), which are designed as "compromise" wings suitable for certain types of singles and/or doubles applications. I'd recommend not going that route, as compromise designs offer trade-offs that are not optimal for either singles or doubles.

As for photographers ... most I know dive backplate/wing systems. That includes a couple of ladies I know who will never be anything except recreational divers. One used to wear a SeaQuest BCD, the other a Dacor. Both sold their BCDs after their first couple dives in a backplate.

Once you try it, I don't think you'll ever want to dive the BCD again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Others have made some good points. Your local dealer has a higher buying requirement with recreational manufacturers, than with OMS & Dive Rite. You can do everything you are used to & more with a BP/W, you just need some time to tune your buoyancy to the new gear. Back flotation needs less air, or you will find yourself face down with some. Eventually I hope to only rent BP/wings. If you want your rig to grow with you as your diving interests expand, a BP/W was a good choice.

Since he's not giving you accurate information, I'd be leery about buying a wing from him ... perhaps he wouldn't steer you toward something that would adequately suit your needs. Frankly, sounds like he's never used a wing before, and is just perpetuating myths.

Well, I am sure he has. He said he did anyway. I listen to him alot because he has done quite a bit. I wanted to talk to his son because they seem to be complete opposites.

can I get halcyon anywhere on the web? Hows the eclipse and is it compatable with non halcyon plates?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom