BP/W newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You learn it by reading ScubaBoard, and by going to manufacturers' websites, and by talking to people who own the gear. If you're lucky, you'll have a dive shop nearby that does tech diving and carries some of this stuff so you can look at it.

I learned from people who had the gear.

Is that the purpose of a STA? To keep the tank from shifting around? Theoretically, shouldn't the tension on the cam band be enough to prevent that?

I have not had any problem using a single tank with cam bands on a DiveRite harness and a generic back plate. I can't really speak for anyone else's experience, perhaps theer is some combination of plate and cam bands that doesn't work so smoothly.

How is it that other people come to learn about BP/W setups, etc.? Is is part of some Tec class or is there a book about this stuff? You learn about other types of BCs in OW class. Where does one learn this other stuff?

I was reading a book about improving my diving skills and it had an entire chapter on achieving flat trim. One of the tips it suggested was trying a wing instead of a jacket. The lght went on right away, back inflation is clearly superior to wrap-around inflation for diving, and a wing has less drag than a jacket.

I did some googling, and the modularity of the harness + wing system made obvious sense as well. And that has been borne out in practice: I started with a DiveRite bundle that was on sale at the LDS. I have since ditched their harness in favour of webbing+BP, but the wing is just fine. If I had an integrated BCD, the entire thing wuld have been lost.

Is that the purpose of a STA? To keep the tank from shifting around? Theoretically, shouldn't the tension on the cam band be enough to prevent that?
Yes, that is the purpose, and yes, cam band tension should be sufficient. Some, older, plates and even wings did not have cam band slots, and using a STA, attched through the BP bolt holes, was the best / only option. I still use one out of habit.
How is it that other people come to learn about BP/W setups, etc.? Is is part of some Tec class or is there a book about this stuff? You learn about other types of BCs in OW class. Where does one learn this other stuff?
I learned by reading on the web (primarily manufacturer sites, Halcyon in particular, PLUS the GUE site), by trying a couple of BPs that shop friends owned, then by taking the plunge and buying a used BP, a used wing, and a used STA on eBay, and learning through some trial and error. SB is a good resource as well. Unfortunately, many shops still don't carry BPs, and their staff are not especially familiar with selection and setup, because many staff don't dive them, even if a shop carrys them. That is changing, though.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I just had a chance to weigh my current BC (SeaQuest Pro QD). It weighs 6lb. 13oz. (3+ kilos) But I have no idea how much a BP/W setup would weigh.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much a BP/W setup weighs with a AL plate? (Plate+wing+harness+STA/cam bands)

This would help me make my decision. Thanks

-

Can anyone give me an idea of how much a BP/W setup weighs with a AL plate? (Plate+wing+harness+STA/cam bands)
The question can be answered, but I am not sure how helpful the replies might be, because the weight will vary according to wing size, buckle type, number of D rings on the equipment, etc. Plus, the comparative weights may not directly reflect the buoyancy of the rig. But, to address your request, my OMS AL BP - with a deluxe harness (no padding, but with nylon quick releases), four chest D rings, two waist D rings, and two crotch strap rings (all with SS keepers), with a Halcyon Explorer wing (55 lb, SS inflator valve), and a Dive Rite ABS (Plastic) STA with metal cam band buckles, weighs 12 lbs. With a SS BP it is about 16. With a smaller (single tank) wing, with nylon buckles, with fewer D rings, probably quite a bit less.

Thanks Colliam.

I basically just need a ballpark estimate. So even with a smaller wing and less D-rings etc., the rig is still going to weigh around 6lbs. Does that sound about right?

I just need to know if bringing a BP/W on my travels is going to save me weight and space over my current BC. The answer seems to be...not really.

I just need to know if bringing a BP/W on my travels is going to save me weight and space over my current BC. The answer seems to be...not really.

If you want to go ultra-light, there are harnesses that don't use plates like the DiveRite Transpac. Some divers also like back plates made out of plastic. Some cam bands have plastic cams rather than S/S. You can confine yourself to use just three D rings. I have heard you can dive a BP+W without a crotch strap if you aren't scootering (although I've never tried it).

Wings come in ulta-light and heavier flavours as well. DiveRite and many other manufacturers sell light weight "travel" wings that are specifically engineered for warm water reef diving with low risk of puncture (I wouldn't dive a wreck in such a wing, but a cenote might be ok).

My point is that your current BCD is what it is. If it's an ultra-light designed for travel, that's what it is. If it has more, heavier features, that's what it is. With a BP+W, you can tune it for your travel and then bulk it back up when you get home.

I've never traveled with a jacket BC before, but my experience is that a bp/w can be much more compact for travel. On my last trip, I stuffed a stainless steel bp, weighted sta, wing, boots, fins, mask/gauges and large can light all into one carry-on. It was heavy as crap, but I've never had anyone weigh carry-on before. The few jacket BCs I've tried were bulky enough where they would have taken much more space than my carry-on roller allowed.

I suspect that one of the lightest BP/W set ups would be a DSS kydex plate with the 18Lb travel wing, plastic camband buckles, and hog harness. I'd be very surprised if it weighs more than 4 lbs. It would certainly take up quite a bit less space in your luggage than a standard BC. The Halcyon example posted above has extra D rings (why four chest D rings?) and a large wing, probably designed for doubles.

At some point you have to stop evaluating dive gear based on how it fits in your luggage. It's a little like buying art to match the sofa. You want to take into account how you're going to get around with the gear, but ultimately you need to choose based on its performance in the water.

Way too much dive gear marketing is based on everything BUT the way it dives. So many colors, gimmicks, and solutions in search of problems.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom