BP/W newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that your looking into a BP/W only for your travel purposes and not because of its benefits over a jacket bc.

Try diving a BP/W if you havent already, and if you like it, it will be worth the extra lbs (depending on your setup). If not, stay with your current bc.

I own a Dive Rite SS BP with an Oxycheq Signature 30lbs. The way i do it is backpate goes into a backpack (carryon luggage) and the wing goes into my other bag. I also have a mesh scubapro bag thats intended for fins, mask and snorkel, but i manage to fit my reg, bp and wing into the same bag with all the other items. The point is, you can fit all your scuba gear in one bag weighing under 16lbs.

I basically just need a ballpark estimate. So even with a smaller wing and less D-rings etc., the rig is still going to weigh around 6lbs. Does that sound about right?
At least. I forgot to add that the weight of my rig this morning also included two cam bands (and metal guides) for an argon bottle.
I just need to know if bringing a BP/W on my travels is going to save me weight and space over my current BC. The answer seems to be...not really.
Yes. At 6 lbs you have a pretty light BC already, so it would be hard to save a lot over that. I wouldn't expect a BP to save much weight, although I also don't expect to add travel weight to a grerat extent, either.

If you want to go ultra-light, there are harnesses that don't use plates like the DiveRite Transpac. Some divers also like back plates made out of plastic. Some cam bands have plastic cams rather than S/S.

Thank you. I will look into these suggestions.

I've never traveled with a jacket BC before, but my experience is that a bp/w can be much more compact for travel.

I know it can be more compact. That is why I am asking about them.

On my last trip, I stuffed a stainless steel bp, weighted sta, wing, boots, fins, mask/gauges and large can light all into one carry-on. It was heavy as crap, but I've never had anyone weigh carry-on before. The few jacket BCs I've tried were bulky enough where they would have taken much more space than my carry-on roller allowed.

I think you've misunderstood. I am not taking a carry-on. I am traveling to multiple destinations with one bag only. I am going for several months and will have to carry this bag (literally) around with me everywhere I go. I must put everything in one bag so I want to make it as light as possible. This bag must also hold my clothes, camera, etc. I will be backpacking for several months - scuba diving in some of these destinations is only one component to the trip.

I suspect that one of the lightest BP/W set ups would be a DSS kydex plate with the 18Lb travel wing, plastic camband buckles, and hog harness. I'd be very surprised if it weighs more than 4 lbs. It would certainly take up quite a bit less space in your luggage than a standard BC.

Thank you. I will look into this.

At some point you have to stop evaluating dive gear based on how it fits in your luggage. It's a little like buying art to match the sofa. You want to take into account how you're going to get around with the gear, but ultimately you need to choose based on its performance in the water.

I understand what you are saying, but again I think there has been a misunderstanding. I absolutely intend to evaluate this gear based on how it fits my luggage. That is the entire point of this post. I am looking for a small lightweight setup specifically to carry around with me. It's purpose is to be lightweight, small as possible, and effectively control my buoyancy. I already own a BC that performs well and fits me well. I don't need to spend $ on an entirely new setup if it does not save me considerable space and weight.

It seems to me that your looking into a BP/W only for your travel purposes and not because of its benefits over a jacket bc.

Correct!

Try diving a BP/W if you havent already, and if you like it, it will be worth the extra lbs (depending on your setup). If not, stay with your current bc.

I have no doubt that I will like it. And I plan to get a BP/W setup to suit my drysuit/cold water diving needs eventually. However, I am not looking for that now. No matter how much I like a setup I try, it will NOT be worth the extra lbs. over my current BC.

Yes. At 6 lbs you have a pretty light BC already, so it would be hard to save a lot over that. I wouldn't expect a BP to save much weight, although I also don't expect to add travel weight to a grerat extent, either.

Thank you Colliam. That is the type of answer I am looking for.

Thank you all for your responses and trying to help me. I appreciate it!

-

I am not taking a carry-on. I am traveling to multiple destinations with one bag only. I am going for several months and will have to carry this bag (literally) around with me everywhere I go. I must put everything in one bag so I want to make it as light as possible. This bag must also hold my clothes, camera, etc. I will be backpacking for several months - scuba diving in some of these destinations is only one component to the trip.

Major Boothroyd suggests you figure out a way to attach your one bag to your back-plate, thus your backplate becomes part of your bag rather than going into it. You can buy padding for the harness portion. If you are loco enough to try this, I would carry an extra set of webbing just in case using your backplate as part of a backpack wears it excessively. I also wouldn't use the padding when diving, just when thumbing/busing/whatever between locations.

If you do this, then you will find that the various options for harnesses like zippered pockets and D-riings will be doing double duty for you. Likewise you can clip a waterproof flashlight to yur harness as a backup for your headlight when backpacking. (You should probably use fresh batteries if doing any dive where the light may be needed to save your life liek a swim through).

Um...I still think we have a disconnect here. Nevermind though...don't worry about it.
I'll work it out.

:crafty:

Um...I still think we have a disconnect here.

Well, I guess turning your harness into a backpack on land and a BP+W underwater is a bit too much James Bond for real life. But here's another idea: Ditch the BC entirely and just rent. Even though you already have a lightweight travel BC, is it really worth lugging it around? Take your own regulators, mask, and a pair of lightweight full-foot fins. Take a wet suit if there's plenty of room. Everything else is optional if you are spending a few months backpacking. This is more than a weight issue, it's a space issue as well.

Well, I guess turning your harness into a backpack on land and a BP+W underwater is a bit too much James Bond for real life.

I was thinking it was something McGiver would try... long distance backpacking & hiking requires an uber-comfortable pack to make it enjoyable... while no doubt you COULD use the backplate and harness to base backpacking system off of, I sure wouldn't want to carry that puppy around for more than a couple hundred yards...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom