BP/W or Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were you, I think maybe I would spend the money on transportation to check out different shops & Courses.

The backplate will likely last you the rest of your life. The computer will last until you take the nitrox class and are taught nitrox tables, or until you get into an advanced class where you will be taught proper dive planning. BTW, I have a computer, but use it mainly as a bottom timer/depth guage.

Why won't the computer last after I take a nitrox course?

I'm quite capable of planning a dive without a computer, but if you've got a computer...why not use it? And just because I use a computer for my dives doesn't mean that the only dive planning I do is jump in and then watch the numbers on the screen.

Good point with the backplate lasting a long time.

The BP/W will probably help with your trim thereby reducing drag and air consumption. Computer won't do that.
I see in your profile you plan on getting into trimix. I'd definitely hold on the computer as you will certainly want a different one at that point. The BP/W will still be good to go regardless of what gas you dive.
Jason

Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. I'm pretty much set on the BP/W now, another reason on top of all of these is that I've been wanting a BP/W a lot longer than a new computer.

thanks again

StSomewhere:
I think what they are trying to tell you is that, even if you have a BP/W, they won't let you into the BP/W fraternity if you dive with a computer. :wink:

Who wants to be in a fraternity?

StSomewhere:
I think what they are trying to tell you is that, even if you have a BP/W, they won't let you into the BP/W fraternity if you dive with a computer. :wink:

Who cares, call Hollywood Divers in LA, they will set you up with a BP/W at a cost that will allow you to buy the computor too...........have fun. Don't be too much in a hurry to drink from the kool-aid fountain.

Back
Top Bottom