BP/W pocket quandary for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's no big deal if you know what you're doing (as with anything). But you only would if you spent the time to familiarize yourself with the whole setup, do the research on the options, etc.... Or you can get a jacket BCD, then you don't have to.

Don't get me wrong, I love tinkering with stuff, build my own little thingies (even though I suck at it), take stuff apart and modify it, etc... But I only do that if I can envision some potential benefit from it, even if that's only to save some money. Otherwise, I won't bother. If I can buy a pre-made jacket BCD that does everything I want, why should I put time, effort and maybe more money into another option, where I might eventually end up with an equivalent setup, but only if I do everything right?

What TSandM said. The bladder/wing was loosely hanging off the BP.

you do realize.that the bladder hanging off of the plate is normal right? Just means.there is no tank on it. And it can be remedied by the addition of a simple book screw. Out of curiosity what BC do you use and what did it cost?
And by the way I had the exact same.attitude as you when I first joined this.board. TS&M may even remember. Then I actually tried a BPW. Sold the jacket. Now have four plate and wing set ups. In addition to my Zeagle Express Tech and my sidemount rig. Will never go back to a jacket.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Like that pocket on your BC? Fine, add it to your backplate webbing no big deal.
Go nuts: BC Accessory Pockets by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

$30 each (and up). Pretty soon, the old "BP/W's are cheaper!" claim will be dead too.

Other options include gluing a pocket to your wetsuit.
XS Scuba Drysuit/Wetsuit Pocket AC430 with reviews at scuba.com

Also $30 a pop...plus, one will need to do this for each set of thermal gear. Let's see...for me right now, that's three (dry, heavy, light), so two pockets each will be $180.

How much crap do you take?

Sorry, but this isn't really about me (but it is shorter than your list). Anything that's externalized can make the argument that it is 'dangling/sticking out', although this really varies by degrees...and I did notice that one of the comments had stated that their solution for a lack of pockets was to clip off their DSMB/reel to their rear D-ring.

I assume a submarine strap is a crotch strap?

Yup, that's the modern 'polite' name for it. FYI, back around the time that you were born, the training of the day also included statements like "Address Left, Strap Right", as back in those days, the strap wasn't very wide.

A lot of BP/W guys dive with their belt under the crotch strap on purpose.

I know. And FYI, some coldwater wreck divers have been known to have used double steel buckles, and/or taped shut with duct tape, to avoid losing a weightbelt. Ditto for duct tape on fin straps.

However, the question of Ditchable -vs- Nonditchable is simply YA trade-off consideration of the objective risks involved and one not to be made lightly. Fortunately, since we're not deep into a Tech forum, the general educational policy for Recreational Divers is to have ditchable weights, to assume Ditchable here is a very reasonable default configuration & policy.

Having a diver in the water next to a running propeller seems like a good way for a Darwin award, but OK.

I didn't say that I liked the particular experience; it was what it was.

But since I've run into this in more than one ocean, I've learned that it doesn't appear to be all that rare/isolated of an event, so I've chosen to be better prepared for that contingency requirement in my trade-off prioritizations.

Actually I think for people who change thermal often a BP/W is way better, as you can swap out bladders.

Which means more gear to be purchased, stored, maintained, carried (airline baggage fees, etc). However it is also a question of how much optimization one wants to pursue: the penalty for having a BCD with an extra 10lbs of lift isn't particularly profound at the Recreational diver level again, so the Law of Diminishing Returns applies.

The downside is that all those things need to be added on, after the fact, as separate items...

At additional cost and complexity. What's funny about a lot of this "Customization is Good" theme is that it suggests that we all have to buy custom tailored suits, shirts, pants, socks and shoes because no one is an "Off The Rack" size anymore.

That's a trick question, right?

Pretty much...and even if one says "Yes", then the goal posts shift to: 'Okay, but for how many dives?', and so forth.

-hh

How often are you traveling to a place where you need more than 1 wing? But beyond that, There has been a huge difference between my 44lb ranger back inflate, and my 25 lbs dive right wing. Especially in high current diving, and the high speed diving we tend to do when spearing.

As for fit, a shirt that is half a size too large isn't a big deal, a bcd that is half a size to large is a pain in the ass as it moves around, and as the tank flaps around since it is now pulling away from your torso as you re-adjust the cumberbund in hopes to fix it. Trying to compare clothes to bcd fit is not honest.

Right. But in most cases, BPW gives you more tools/possibilites to adjust your gear for optimal trim than a conventional jacket BCD.
I don't think so.
I sold my jacket bc after starting tec dive NOT because the jacket was inferior or bulky etc, I just want to keep everything simple!!
The list of accessory for BP/W is mind boggling or even downright confusing nowadays. The idea of KISS is just an idea. No such problem for jacket.

Which is better? Horse for the course.

Reactions: -hh
I don't think so.
I sold my jacket bc after starting tec dive NOT because the jacket was inferior or bulky etc, I just want to keep everything simple!!
The list of accessory for BP/W is mind boggling or even downright confusing nowadays. The idea of KISS is just an idea. No such problem for jacket.
Just look at the options available for weight placement for both systems!!
Optimal trim! I am not in a race. I dive with my upperbody slightly up in ow dive because I was comfortable.
Which is better? Horse for the course.

Well, yes. You may have to make some decisions and choices. If you can't handle that, then a jacket may be best for you. They are mostly take it or leave it. And don't change your mind.

... I am often surprised to see people in cold water diving choose to go all weight integrated. ...
I don't really dive cold water. I may do a couple of local dives per year (and those in a wetsuit), but other than that, it's all in warm water. And I'm quite confident that the same is true for most divers (which is what started this whole argument).

If I were to get into a lot of local/cold water diving, I might consider a BP/W. Mind you that my BCD does have trim pockets and I find my weighting in cold water quite satisfactory.

i switched to a bp/w for the same reason i switched from a point and shoot camera to a dslr. I wanted the choices that were available without being locked in to any one configuration. I enjoy researching the different lenses and ports and strobes and building my rig and I can reconfigure it anytime I want. same thing for the bp/w I enjoy looking at the options and different configurations people have some I use some I don't.

not everyone enjoys doing this or even wants to but for me it's just part of the sport.

Well, yes. You may have to make some decisions and choices. If you can't handle that, then a jacket may be best for you. They are mostly take it or leave it. And don't change your mind.
Neither the jacket nor the BP/W is perfect.
Which is better? Depends on your own preference.
Which is simpler? Definitely not BP/W in its presence reincarnation. It used to be!!!
Compare present Halcyon and 10 yrs ago.

BP/W is NOT safer than jacket bc and vice versa. Scuba diving is a recreational sport and nothing more.
Optimal trim? I have seen plenty BP/W divers with poor triming. It is the diver not the bc that is the main problem.

---------- Post added August 12th, 2013 at 11:29 AM ----------

...not everyone enjoys doing this or even wants to but for me it's just part of the sport.
Agree.
Unfortunately some people will turn it to personal crusade! That is the problem.

Reactions: -hh
you do realize.that the bladder hanging off of the plate is normal right? Just means.there is no tank on it. And it can be remedied by the addition of a simple book screw. Out of curiosity what BC do you use and what did it cost?
And by the way I had the exact same.attitude as you when I first joined this.board. TS&M may even remember. Then I actually tried a BPW. Sold the jacket. Now have four plate and wing set ups. In addition to my Zeagle Express Tech and my sidemount rig. Will never go back to a jacket.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I've really enjoyed this thread.

Haven't met Jim, but agree with him 99% of the time.

Gives me the chance to say..."but what do you know about any of this" :)

BTW.... my only real feedback.

I have a drysuit with pockets.

As I demand pockets, I use x-shorts when I don't have a drysuit. Like in Bonaire, etc. I felt like I was always pulling them up over my trim (fat) ass.

But they were great in the water :)

I've owned 1 plate, 2 wings *all DSS

Done hundreds of dives. Many of them DIR in trim Deco dives.

My ass always looks good :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom