BP/W pocket quandary for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, even if the pouch material holds up, its Molle clips for fastening onto webbing simply do not hold up well to saltwater: despite their hard oxide finishing, it will quickly look like this:

IMG_4348s.jpg

(a Salt Spray exposure test sample recovered from an M4 Bandoleer)

In any case, it is still that the consumer who will be getting "nickel-and-dimed" with stuff that they're going to end up experimenting with, and its not just money but also the time lost in getting it sorted out...assuming that we have the Human Factors design optimization training/talent to begin with to be able to recognize when we're going forward (vs backwards).

In the end, we end up with a big old box of "Dive Stuff" out in the garage which is full of junk ...er, STUFF ... that didn't work as well as we thought, and that we can't quite bring ourselves to part with.

Hey, I paid $120 for that Techna flashlight back in 1984...yeah, it doesn't work, but it just needs for me to DIY a few replacement parts ($20 at Radio Shack) and it will be as good as new again!

Been there, done that ... got the box of dive junk in the garage. Oh, honey don't look in that other...either. Okay, Dear there's not one, but two boxes. No, no, no ... that's car stu... *sigh* three bins. Okay, I'll finally throw out that Techna flashlight. No, that's a dead Ikelite torch. No, that one's a dead Underwater Kinetiq. No that's a strobe from Helix...hey!

YMMV, but I've been becoming a more Hogarthian Consumer.

-hh

MOLLE/PALS doesn't use clips. It uses webbing threaded through other webbing and snaps (which will probably corrode). ALICE uses clips (which will definitely corrode).

I use BPW's and often using 7mm,5mm, & 3mm suits with hooded vests. When I need a little weight I use clip weights on my hip D rings. Each is 2 lbs and very easy on and off. I attach everything to my plate. I use 2 bungie cords to attach my SMB under my right arm, sits upright and very easy to remove. My reel is always attached to my hip ring and SMB. The only pocket I require is a small XS strap pocket that I store a ditty bag and a mirror. Another thing I do with Plates is use bicycle tubing to cover all straps through the plate. This stops all wear and tear on straps.

Well, my first buy was a Black D BCD, and with a drysuit(Fusion), and integrated weights, it was extremely restricting moving in, especially on the shore pre- and post dive. Could not carry the rig with tanks to the car, up a steep,but small hill...after ditching the weights. So we had to disassemble the tanks(my wife/buddy had the same rig), and do some extra turns to get the equipment in the car......
After changing to BP/W, things have changed..... I read about wings, and was recommended 18£'s, so we bought one rig each..... Would not recommend the 18 for a novice(as we were), but the 40 we ended up with has been used ever since. For us it was heaven and he""..... :)
The 18 is veery nice with alutanks, but not with 15l steel a MSTD gave me on my first dive(+ 8kg of weights.....

The Diamonds were sold ASAP, and I have never regretted the decision. A wing is much more versatile, trim, everything feels better under water.
Always bring it with me on holidays,fits both dry and wetsuits, winter as summer.

That, said, I will have no problems using a BCD either, as one get more experienced with buoyancy and trim.
If I need a pocket, just put it on my webbing.......

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom