BP/W Setup Question - Thinking XDeep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the XDEEP NX Series Plates - I weighed them all. I personally dive the NX Stainless in everything but a 3mm (im neutral with zero additional weight in a 3mm. Even with an AL80, I am overweight. However, once the 5mm goes on, im perfectly balanced. I use the AL for 3mm or less.

actual weights from my calibrated scale.

Regular Stainless - 4.2kg (9.25lbs)
Regular Aluminum - 1.85kg (4.1 lbs)
Large Stainless - 4.4kg (9.8 lbs)
Large Aluminum - 2kg (4.4lbs)

For Aluminum 80's - with Valve in Salt they are +3lbs buoyant for Luxfers. FABER LP85's - with regs almost neutral (slightly positive). HP100's = - 3 or so with single reg. With Regulator (depends on weight of reg) subtract +/- 1.5 or so. You can find all exact cylinder information on each Manufacturer's website.

As a smaller person (5ft 5), i prefer the old fashioned backplate over the NX against my back. Admittedly though I haven't tried it in water, only on land with the display unit (without tank attached).

As a smaller person (5ft 5), i prefer the old fashioned backplate over the NX against my back. Admittedly though I haven't tried it in water, only on land with the display unit (without tank attached).

it's the same size as the standard plate inin heig, and adds half an inch in width on either side. Takes the plate completely off of your kidneys. If properly setup correctly, should feel the exact same and super comfortable.

The main difference is the waist and shoulders.

However, the more I read, the more it seems like this gear is all extremely specialized, in that each choice is specific to whether you want to do single cylinders with a smaller deco cylinder, double cylinders back-mounted or side-mounts, and even whether you're wearing a 7 mill or a dry-suit. Do you guys each have multiple BPs and Wings for each scenario?

Sidemount is entirely different, but for backmount, the only real difference is the wing.

For your dry suit definitely steel plate.

I'm a fan of having options. In the tropics you might trim out just fine with a steel plate and 4 lb of lead to play with. I've found 4 lb. is plenty to get trimmed if you play with waist to shoulders and everything else made your trim fairly good anyway, such as the rest of your ballast close to and along your back in a steel plate.

But I also like having some weight ditchable just in case for the surface or elsewhere, though some feel otherwise. 4 lb. to play with might not leave much lower down where it is typically accessible for ditching. A cutout steel plate gives me more lead to play with to get both trim and some ditchable. I might mount some of that high on the plate, totally non ditchable just like the heavy plate, but that might mean I could get some lower and ditchable.

ETA: if that 10 lb for the 3mm was with the Zeagle Ranger, it looks to have a little padding in the shoulders which might account for some of the 10lb. Typically moving from jacket or back inflate to BP/W you can loose some lead due to less padding. So your 4lb to play with might get cut down to 3 lb or 2 lb. Were you thinking of different regs? Their contribution to ballast might change. Were you adding a tech typically negative light? Your margin of having some lead to play with may get rather fine or disappear.
So with a steel plate in your example you would be 2 pounds heavy in the tropics. I would not get grey hair about those 2 pounds. Especially if the home base is cold water where a steel plate is very beneficial.

GUE - Fundamentals w/ tech endorsement - six days, 30 hours of classroom and six dives - cost unknown

GUE Fundamentals is a minimum of 5 days, 34 hours of instruction (Part 1 - 14 hours and Part 2 - 20 hours), and 6 dives. Each instructor sets their price. When I took it in 2014, it cost $650 US, and I've seen $750 US. Not sure what the going rate is currently. It's well worth what you get out of it though. They are long but fun, very interactive days with a lot of feedback. Highly recommended.

GUE Fundamentals is a minimum of 5 days, 34 hours of instruction (Part 1 - 14 hours and Part 2 - 20 hours), and 6 dives. Each instructor sets their price. When I took it in 2014, it cost $650 US, and I've seen $750 US. Not sure what the going rate is currently. It's well worth what you get out of it though. They are long but fun, very interactive days with a lot of feedback. Highly recommended.

Several of us are DIR instructors. It is fairly common to pay $200/day for recreational courses, and $250/ day for technical (those are my rates and few others that followed in pursuit). Typically includes everything but TriMix (includes air/ean/gear). Rates may fluctuate based on Locale, or number of divers in class.

Remember, you are paying for that instructors experience, expertise, and dedication in constantly performing at the highest 5% of instructors worldwide. So really, whats another $200 or so when you are developing lifelong skills?

Expect to spend a solid 5 days if you have very good skills coming in, or up to 10 if you need a bit of work. The card doesn't grant you anything other than a 'stepping stone' to another DIR / GUE course. In other words, take ALL you can from the course. These 'fundamental' level course are the most enjoyable to teach, but also the most work IMHO. But, as a diver, you get to experience first-hand personal development.

Best of luck in the course.

I would not get grey hair about those 2 pounds.

This is anecdotal, but one time diving in Australia, South West Rocks, the DM insisted in giving me 3 more lbs which I refused so he took it with him. He was amazed as to how much more air he consumed that dive. I can't tell you how much, just his reaction. I'm rather religious about being minimally weighted. I have no data to argue the difference in gas consumption.

Why would being slightly overweighted affect air consumption? I can see a little more air going into the BC, but what else is happening?

Why would being slightly overweighted affect air consumption? I can see a little more air going into the BC, but what else is happening?
Drag would be one. Going would require much more gas to displace 2 lbs of water. I don’t know if he had a zig zag profile. That’s my theory. Again no data, just the DM’s reaction.

For all I know, it could have been a difference of 200 psi.

Back
Top Bottom