BP/W twists on the dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sean Walberg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I picked up the DGX 30# wing and SS backplate combo and have done about a dozen dives on it. On many of those dives I ended up with the backplate twisted such that the tank wasn't square to the backplate. I had the straps ratcheted down pretty tightly (and wetted prior to the dive) and the tank didn't slip.

Not sure if I'm setting things up incorrectly or if something needs to go on the backplate side to prevent the straps from shifting. Here's an after dive picture to show what I mean.
IMG_8011.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hmmm, definitely not right. Doesn't look like you have a single tank adaptor so are the cam bands locked down tight? Looking at both the twist and angle I'm assuming the back plate is flopping about loose. Can you post a side on photo?

Mine can do that too - tighten it up more.

If the wing doesn't have an integral roll-control (small tubes that sit against the tank where the cam bands go through the wing, you can implement some type. There are various single tank adapters (STA) as mentioned above, but also an OMS soft pad (Dive Gear Express). There are also cam band pads that can better hold things (wedge block) - Piranha? NESS?. One thing that is happening is your cam band is slipping in the plate. You can also thread on a tri-glide in the center channel to stop the webbing of the cam band from moving...

I'd also say you can probably go tighter....

Good luck.

that wing has roll control. Your cam bands aren't nearly tight enough. You can see that in the picture. You need to get the cam bands wet before you put them on, then tighten them down before you thread the last hole, cam it halfway over, then thread it and cam it the rest of the way. It won't move after that

Hmmm, definitely not right. Doesn't look like you have a single tank adaptor so are the cam bands locked down tight? Looking at both the twist and angle I'm assuming the back plate is flopping about loose. Can you post a side on photo?

Afraid I didn't take a side picture. The plate doesn't feel loose, but since the cam straps are free to slide I could torque on the tank and misalign things if I tried hard enough

If the wing doesn't have an integral roll-control (small tubes that sit against the tank where the cam bands go through the wing, you can implement some type. There are various single tank adapters (STA) as mentioned above, but also an OMS soft pad (Dive Gear Express). There are also cam band pads that can better hold things (wedge block) - Piranha? NESS?. One thing that is happening is your cam band is slipping in the plate. You can also thread on a tri-glide in the center channel to stop the webbing of the cam band from moving...

I'd also say you can probably go tighter.....

It does have the roll control. Tri glide is an interesting idea that I'll look at, along with figuring out how I can go tighter.

Are you sure the Cam Bands are properly threaded through the Cam Buckle? Got a picture?

that wing has roll control. Your cam bands aren't nearly tight enough. You can see that in the picture. You need to get the cam bands wet before you put them on, then tighten them down before you thread the last hole, cam it halfway over, then thread it and cam it the rest of the way. It won't move after that

Yea, I did get them wet. I didn't do that halfway over thing though. I got them as tight as I could without the last hole threaded and the buckle open, and with one hand kept the strap from slipping loser and the other threaded the final hole, then snapped it shut. I'll work on this technique.

Back
Top Bottom