BP&W vs jacket BC, AGAIN!

What BCD did you first dive, and how do you dive now?

• I started with a BP&W and still dive a BP&W

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I started with a rear-inflate BC and still dive a rear-inflate BC

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I started with a jacket BC and still dive a jacket BC

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • I started with a BP&W and now dive a rear-inflate BC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I started with a BP&W and now dive a jacket BC

• I started with a rear-inflate BC and now dive BP&W

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I started with a rear-inflate BC and now dive a jacket BC

• I started with a jacket BC and now dive a BP&W

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • I started with a jacket BC and now dive a rear-inflate BC

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what you're saying is that for morbidly obese people the BP/W may be the best option.

That may be true, but I don't really have an opinion about that. I don't live in the USA and therefore I don't know a lot of morbidly obese people.

What I do see among the divers I see around me is that the vast majority of divers with normal body types, it doesn't matter at all.

R..

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

So what you're saying is that for morbidly obese people the BP/W may be the best option.

That may be true, but I don't really have an opinion about that. I don't live in the USA and therefore I don't know a lot of morbidly obese people.

What I do see among the divers I see around me is that the vast majority of divers with normal body types, it doesn't matter at all.

R..

I usually value your commentary, but not this time.

Lets see - I'm 6'-7" tall, need a 48" jacket on my shoulders (so that becomes an XXL). Long waisted (long torso), so the cummerbund of 99% of the BCs are essentially just below my rib cage. Add to that, I am 230# (hardly "morbidly obeese" as you implied - your words, not mine), which equates to a 34" waist. I can practically double wrap the band..... No BC ever stayed put on my frame. They flopped, rolled, and just plain were miserable.

Went to a generic back-inflate - again, despite being able to adjust it (DUI Delta), it was too short, and thus never stayed on me well....

Solution: was a DSS plate in the "Long Pattern".....[and its the only "tall" I found]

So where in "Europe" do you live exactly? According to the statistics I've read, 6 of the top 10 countries in obesity rates are European. US is #1 (not a good thing I agree) at 30.6% and the UK is #3 at 23%.

Empirically it would seem that a BP/W would be a really good choice for divers of any size including extra extra big.

the modular concept and adjust-ability of the product make it an ideal element, and in fact, more for the masses than much of the mainstream product that is still being pushed....

Last edited:
Started with a safety vest, before there were horsecollars.
Got a horsecollar as soon as they were available.
Later, switched to a jacket.
Now using a rear inflate.

JohnB47

I haven't thought of these guys in years, there were the Leisure Pro of their time along with Barry (or was it Berry?) Scuba.
Berry rings a bell. I found Central SkinDivers' ad in the back of Skin Diver magazine. I think it took quite a while before the magazine accepted the ad, for fear of alienating all their other advertisers. Yes, a lot like LeisurePro.

the modular concept and adjust-ability of the product make it an ideal element, and in fact, more for the masses than much of the mainstream product that is still being pushed....

its weird how mainstream works right... even though modular may be more ideal people like simple easy setups that require them to do less upfront work...

as i'm now starting i myself recently dove jacket, hybrid, rear inflate... i want to dive a bpw but unfortunately its not that popular in my country... so i'm looking into a used zeagle express tech :)... then maybe i can change my poll answer

even though modular may be more ideal people like simple easy setups that require them to do less upfront work...

not me, but then again, maybe its the "engi-nerd" in me......

So what you're saying is that for morbidly obese people the BP/W may be the best option...

No, even though that is going to be another consideration.

Classically, the database from a 1988 U.S. Army NATICK Anthropometry survey is the 'Golden Bible' for human factors designers (even though it has some potential sampling bias issues), because it statistically has large numbers and the data collection methodology was rigorously defined and applied. If you're interested in some light reading (650 pages, a copy can be downloaded here.

Typically, the implimentation of this anthopometric data in product design is to have a product that "fits" the 5th through 95th percentile of adult males & females. Now here's the important part: even when this 5th-95th design goal is successfully accomplished, 10% of the population is left outside of that design goal.

For example, the 5th-95th value range for Adult Male weight is 136-217 lbs (page 62). If a BC designer designs to only the 5th-95th and your weight is outside of this range, congratulations! You very well may have a 'fit' problem.

In getting back to the obese question, a company can of course also choose to expand their design's "fit" objectives to be broader than 5th-95th. For example, if they want 5th-99th, then the upper end maximum grows to be 236 lbs.

Simply put, consumers who are on the extremes (high or low) are a business model challenge, because there simply aren't enough of them statistically to make the cost of their size profitable. It doesn't matter if we're talking about dive gear, shoes, or even automobiles: my wife is very petite and consequently has problems finding cars whose driver's seat cushion isn't "too long"...it is in this report's as measurement #27 (Buttock-Popliteal Length), page 126.

And for one final example, Bob's comment that he's 6' 7" puts him at nearly 4 inches beyond even the 99th percentile for height (6' 3.14")...it is consequently, not a particularly huge surprise if he has found it hard to find products that fit him (and not just for diving). Perhaps his luck will be better in Denmark :)

-hh

Back
Top Bottom