BP/W Wing - Aluminum or SS Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chappys4life

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking at buying my first BCD. I have 23 dives and am hooked. I have my Open Water, Advanced, and Peak Buoyancy. I plan on getting my Nav & Dry Suit hopefully this year with Rescue next year. I am pretty sold on the DRIS Dive 28lb BP/W and live not far from DRIS so I can go get fitted make sure I like it.

The hardest part I am torn on right now is going aluminum or ss for the wing. I have dove in a local quarry and Key Largo so far. I have a Cozumel trip in November, Key Largo trip in December, and am planning a few Lake Michigan dives for next year. As you can see I mix between local colder dives then warm water remote.

In fresh water with a jacket my weights are 3mm with 12lbs & 7mm with 24lbs. In the Keys with Saltwater jacket just a rash guard I dove with 18lbs. I am not sure if that helps make a difference but thought I would mention it. I am not sure what the weight needed for a BP/W will be or if it changes at all.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Doing some initial research before heading to DRIS as I am torn on buying it.

that seems like an excessive amount of weight to me, but either way I would purchase the SS plate. One thing to think about if you plan on flying with this is the DRiS system requires the use of an STA which is an extra 2lbs to carry around. May want to look at some other STA-less designs if you are travelling somewhat regularly.

Make sure your height matches up with the standard size backplates before you buy, otherwise it may make sense to look at some of the other brands that offer multiple length backplates

There have been a few threads on this question before. Try plugging this search into Google and you'll see LOTS: site:scubaboard.com aluminum steel plate

Of all the comments, the one I would keep in mind is that the difference between steel and aluminum is all of about 4 lbs. In other words, it's not that big a deal. If you are doing a dive with an aluminum plate but realize that a steel would have been more optimal because you could have taken 4 lbs. off your weight belt, it's hardly some sort of fiasco.

It has been said that the best use of an aluminum plate is with steel tanks in a wetsuit or drysuit appropriate to warm to temperate water, based on a presumption that the steel tank provides all the ballast you need. For diving in the Keys with an aluminum tank, a steel plate can allow you to use less lead on your belt--very likely zero lead if you're diving in just a rash guard. However, at the opposite end of the spectrum, for diving in cold water with a heavy wetsuit or drysuit with thick undergarments, you'll need even more ballast, so a steel plate would certainly be appropriate.

Also, 18 lbs. of lead in a jacket BC and a rash guard in saltwater was certainly way more than you needed.

that seems like an excessive amount of weight to me, but either way I would purchase the SS plate.

I am 230 with more chub than muscle. I think I can go down to 22lbs with a 7mm but when I tried 20lbs I couldn't sink.

There have been a few threads on this question before. Try plugging this search into Google and you'll see LOTS: site:scubaboard.com aluminum steel plate

Also, 18 lbs. of lead in a jacket BC and a rash guard in saltwater was certainly way more than you needed.

Thank you I will search some more. What I was having a hard time finding was how much would I lead would I carry compared to a jacket.

I stared with 12lbs and could not sink. 2x 3lbs in the back got me straight. I could try 2x 2lbs next time but I sat on the surface with 12lbs.

It depends on how much buoyant padding your jacket has. It has been estimated that an average jacket has about 2 lbs. of such inherent buoyancy. A BP/W has zero. So just switching from a jacket to a BP/W--all other things being equal--allows you to reduce the amount of lead you carry by maybe 2 lbs.

I am looking at buying my first BCD. I have 23 dives and am hooked. I have my Open Water, Advanced, and Peak Buoyancy. I plan on getting my Nav & Dry Suit hopefully this year with Rescue next year. I am pretty sold on the DRIS Dive 28lb BP/W and live not far from DRIS so I can go get fitted make sure I like it.

The hardest part I am torn on right now is going aluminum or ss for the wing. I have dove in a local quarry and Key Largo so far. I have a Cozumel trip in November, Key Largo trip in December, and am planning a few Lake Michigan dives for next year. As you can see I mix between local colder dives then warm water remote.

In fresh water with a jacket my weights are 3mm with 12lbs & 7mm with 24lbs. In the Keys with Saltwater jacket just a rash guard I dove with 18lbs. I am not sure if that helps make a difference but thought I would mention it. I am not sure what the weight needed for a BP/W will be or if it changes at all.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Doing some initial research before heading to DRIS as I am torn on buying it.

To answer that question look at your "ballast budget"

What is you least buoyant exposure suit, and how buoyant is it?

What are the buoyancy numbers for the cylinders you will be using with this suit?

Answer those two questions and it will be instantly apparent if you would benefit from the ballast a SS plate provides, or if it would over weight you.

Having said that, *Most* divers looking to purchase a single plate for use in warm and cold water are better served with a Stainless Plate.

If they will be using *at least* a 3mm suit and buoyant al 80's in water water the ballast a SS plate provides is almost always a benefit.

In cold water with thick exposure protection and pretty much any cylinder the stainless plate is right choice.

Being realistic about the range of applications you want this BC to serve helps too. Don't expect one wing and plate combo to be ideal with board shorts *or* with a 7mm farmer john suit.

Tobin

I have that exact BP/W from DRIS. I'm local, too. I went with the SS backplate because I'm diving dry and I need a lot of weight. I upgraded to the Hollis Elite 2 harness. I really like it. And, of course, the DRIS folks were very helpful at getting me fitted.

also, if you are wearing that much lead, considering going with Deep Sea Supply as they have bolt on weight plates that will give you a very heavy backplate for local diving and you can quickly remove the plates for travel

Back
Top Bottom