BP/W Wing - Aluminum or SS Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I travel to tropical locations with my aluminum BP, I carry it in my carry-on bag, and I wear 4 pounds of lead on a belt.

When I travel with my steel BP, I carry it in my carry-on bag, and I wear zero pounds of lead.

I no longer travel with my aluminum BP. When I can be bothered I'll sell it.

Chicago cold water, you want steel anyway.

Just get steel.

the DRiS system requires the use of an STA which is an extra 2lbs to carry around

The DRiS BP has slots for cam bands. I don't see how it REQUIRES an STA. Are you saying that the user will probably want to use an STA because you think the tank won't be stable on the BP without one (and because that wing doesn't have built-in stabilizing bars)?

Is there a reason, the user couldn't use an OMS Soft STA, if that were to be the case? They're only $15. They don't weigh very much at all.

OMS Soft STA Stabilizing Adapter | Dive Gear Express®

And, if he used a different wing, with built-in stabilizing bars, he definitely wouldn't need an STA, right?

the wing doesn't have cam band slots, so the oms thing won't work, though they do work well if using the Dive Rite wings that don't have stabilizers in them

correct if he uses a different wing, but then price starts going up from the current package. The trianta package is brilliant and it's a blatantly obvious copy of a Halcyon Eclipse 30 which is a fantastic rig, but it's extra stuff to bring if you're planning on travelling. If you're planning on travelling, I really don't think there is a better rig than the DSS since you don't have to undo the cam bands to remove the wing which I always do when travelling

the wing doesn't have cam band slots

Ah ha! I'm a doofus for not catching that! And why the heck would anybody make a single tank wing and not put cam band slots?? Craziness.

DRiS is great! But, for that reason alone, I would go with the DGX setup, with a SS plate, for $309.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

It comes with cam bands, but I would (and did) spend the extra $40 to get a pair of the ScubaPro-style quick release tank straps. Then the wing will go on and off without undoing anything. And tank changes are a breeze. Much easier, for me, since I switched from regular cam bands to the QR straps. Disclaimer: I use a pair of plastic book screws ($1.25/pair from DGX) to hold my wing in place on the BP, so it can't move at all when I'm changing tanks. That does add about 1 minute (maybe 2) to my total setup and breakdown time. When I was using a DSS wing, the little rubber mushroom things on that wing did save me that minute or so on setup/breakdown.

DGX Tank Strap, Quick Release with S/S Hinge Buckle | Dive Gear Express®

And, at $349, total (including the QR straps), with free shipping, well cheaper than the Trianta rig. If the tank proves to be not stable enough for the user, another $15 for the OMS Soft STA or $25 for a stainless STA and you've still spent less money than the Trianta.

. . .
If they will be using *at least* a 3mm suit and buoyant al 80's in water water the ballast a SS plate provides is almost always a benefit.
. . .
Tobin

I would think that for someone diving in just a rash guard with an Al 80, the 6 lbs. or so contributed by a SS plate might be just enough to eliminate the need to carry any lead at all.

With a well-worn 3 mm suit, an Al 80, and SS plate, I carry just 2 lbs. of lead in trim pouches on the cambands. The OP here seems to have a little more bioprene than I do, though.

What is a cam band slot and STA? I am not following?

STA - single tank adapter.

Cam band slots - slots for the straps that hold the tank.

I would think that for someone diving in just a rash guard with an Al 80, the 6 lbs. or so contributed by a SS plate might be just enough to eliminate the need to carry any lead at all.

With a well-worn 3 mm suit, an Al 80, and SS plate, I carry just 2 lbs. of lead in trim pouches on the cambands. The OP here seems to have a little more bioprene than I do, though.

If you start with a neutral diver and add ~4 lbs of buoyant suit, and 4 lbs of buoyant al 80 they will need about 8 lbs of ballast. The typical SS plate and harness provides about 6 lbs and a reg another 2.

Skins can be close to zero buoyancy. A neutral diver in a skin using a buoyant al 80 could easily require only about 4 lbs of ballast. A light weight plate and harness will provide about 2 lbs and their reg another 2 lbs. A stainless plate has the potential to overweight the *neutral* diver using less than about a 3mm suit and buoyant 80's

This is based on having fit 1000's of divers for BP&W's

Tobin

What is a cam band slot and STA? I am not following?

Cam band (holds your tank to your back plate):
DGX Tank Strap, Standard with S/S Cam Buckle | Dive Gear Express®

STA (lets you mount a single tank to a back plate that does not have cam band slots - or use a wing that doesn't have cam band slots):
DGX Premium Single Tank Adapter {11.75 in | 30 cm} | Dive Gear Express®

If your back plate and your wing both have slots for cam bands or tank straps, then you don't need an STA (though you might still use one to make the tank feel more stable, depending on the specific design of the wing and back plate). But, you can still use an STA, if you want, even if your BP and W both have cam band slots. The STA attaches to your BP using nuts and bolts - the same way a set of doubles would attach. Then, the cam bands go through slots on the STA instead of slots on the BP and W.

I use an aluminium plate for ease when travelling. I dive mostly warm water using a 2.5mm shorty. I have a DIR zone Plate Weight which lives on my plate when I'm diving locally. This puts 6lb right on the plate channel (next to my back). Great for stability. I usually have another 4lbs in my weight pockets.

When travelling I take the p weight off and use boat provided ballast in my weight pockets and on my cam bands.

This has worked for me but I do no cold weather diving.

I'm converting my current rig to doubles only and buying a halcyon traveler pro and new regs with miflex as well as lighter fins. My aim is to create a single tank rig that is extremely light to travel with and very stream lined in the water.

I've always tended to go light with weight if you get it wrong you can always put on a weight belt. Plus airport baggage fees make me angry :).

With what you have said about your weighting I would go with a steel plate. That will help keep weight out of your pockets. Unless you fly a lot like me it isn't really a concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom