BP/W Wing - Aluminum or SS Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a ss plate and in san diego when I dove a 7mm wetsuit it was great, 8lbs and good to go. Now that I own a steel tank and dive in warmer waters 1mm full - 3/2 shorty, I plan on getting an alu next time I see on on sale in the $60-80 range. If I dive a thin wet suit and a steel tank I'll sink like a rock. Alu tank and ss backplate isn't that bad.

Dear OP, stainless plates would be great for your local diving, less so for travel diving to Cozumel. There is plenty of lead in Cozumel, no need to tote it on an airliner in the form of a chunk of stainless steel. You need two plates, a standard stainless plate for your cold water local diving in the Lakes and a light weight aluminum plate for travel.

N

Dear OP, stainless plates would be great for your local diving, less so for travel diving to Cozumel. There is plenty of lead in Cozumel, no need to tote it on an airliner in the form of a chunk of stainless steel. You need two plates, a standard stainless plate for your cold water local diving in the Lakes and a light weight aluminum plate for travel.

As mentioned in numerous threads before, there are two schools of thought on tropical diving and plates. Some of us dislike weight belts and/or perceive a benefit from the steel plate being located right up against one's back, closer to the center of buoyancy than lead on a belt. I take my steel plate to Cozumel and other tropical destinations. With a 3 mm wetsuit, aluminum 80 tank, and steel plate, I am perfectly weighted with no additional lead at all. The difference in my luggage weight between the choice of steel or aluminum is all of 4 lbs. or so--not a big deal for me. I don't take a lot of stuff when I travel to tropical dive destinations, I don't buy souvenirs, etc., so my luggage weighs in at under 50 lbs. even with a steel plate in there. For those who travel with a lot of stuff and don't perceive any disadvantages of weight belts, aluminum (or kydex) is indeed one way to reduce luggage weight by 4 lbs. or so.

I put my SS plate in my rollaboard when I fly. I understand that it does happen in some places, but I have never had anyone even try to weight any piece of my carry-on luggage. That's on flights from/to the U.S. to/from Mexico, Hawaii, the UK, Germany, Spain, and Singapore (i.e. I haven't traveled outside the U.S. a lot, but more than zero). So, an extra 4 or 5# in my carry-on definitely seems like no problem.

I put my SS plate in my rollaboard when I fly. I understand that it does happen in some places, but I have never had anyone even try to weight any piece of my carry-on luggage. That's on flights from/to the U.S. to/from Mexico, Hawaii, the UK, Germany, Spain, and Singapore (i.e. I haven't traveled outside the U.S. a lot, but more than zero). So, an extra 4 or 5# in my carry-on definitely seems like no problem.

and I have gotten a full set of gear, minus exposure protection, but including fins into a standard rollaboard with little issue. 3lbs delta between my kydex and SS plate, not worth worrying about

As mentioned in numerous threads before, there are two schools of thought on tropical diving and plates. Some of us dislike weight belts and/or perceive a benefit from the steel plate being located right up against one's back, closer to the center of buoyancy than lead on a belt. I take my steel plate to Cozumel and other tropical destinations. With a 3 mm wetsuit, aluminum 80 tank, and steel plate, I am perfectly weighted with no additional lead at all. The difference in my luggage weight between the choice of steel or aluminum is all of 4 lbs. or so--not a big deal for me. I don't take a lot of stuff when I travel to tropical dive destinations, I don't buy souvenirs, etc., so my luggage weighs in at under 50 lbs. even with a steel plate in there. For those who travel with a lot of stuff and don't perceive any disadvantages of weight belts, aluminum (or kydex) is indeed one way to reduce luggage weight by 4 lbs. or so.

I am weight integrated with two camband pouches also. The camband pouches are equally effectice as a steel plate. Reverse one band, place a pouch on each band and shove it down close to the plate. This swims exactly like a steel plate, is adjustable and allows one to use destination provided lead. One can either use a weight belt or as I do QR pouches on my waist band for additioal lead as needed.

N

N

The difference here is you have to either plan on using a rented weight belt, which is fine, or if you are using any sort of weight pouches, or bringing your own weight belt, you have to factor the difference in weight of an aluminum/abs/kydex plate plus the cam band pouches against a steel plate. The difference in aluminum vs steel plates is roughly 3lbs, and I bet if you put a pair of cam band weight pouches on, that becomes closer to 1.5-2lbs in weight difference, and frankly that isn't enough for me to deal with weighted cam bands which I hate, or weight belts, which I also hate. 2lbs is not much and if you pack properly it's a non-issue in my experience.

Chat with the LDS (DRiS?)

For single tank diving, I use my SS plate and lead (Drysuit)
For doubles, Aluminum (fresh and salt with Drysuit)
For tropics, SS ... don't have to deal with weights (3/5mm or Drysuit)

_R

I am weight integrated with two camband pouches also. The camband pouches are equally effectice as a steel plate. Reverse one band, place a pouch on each band and shove it down close to the plate. This swims exactly like a steel plate, is adjustable and allows one to use destination provided lead. One can either use a weight belt or as I do QR pouches on my waist band for additioal lead as needed.

That's exactly what I do when I need more weight than just the steel plate alone. For a 3 mm suit and Al 80, no camband weight pouches--just the steel plate. But for a 5 mm suit and Al 80, I add 4-6 lbs. in camband weight pouches snugged up against the plate. I'll be bringing my 5 mm suit, steel plate, and camband weight pouches to Cozumel next month.

I have a ss plate and in san diego when I dove a 7mm wetsuit it was great, 8lbs and good to go. Now that I own a steel tank and dive in warmer waters 1mm full - 3/2 shorty, I plan on getting an alu next time I see on on sale in the $60-80 range. If I dive a thin wet suit and a steel tank I'll sink like a rock. Alu tank and ss backplate isn't that bad.

I am in a similar spot. I have been using a SS Apex plate for both single 104s and double 95s. (wearing a 3/2mm wetsuit). This is just about perfect for single tank fresh water, but I have been adding 4# for salt.

This plate is too heavy for my double 95s. I am using a 55# wing and can't stay neutral at 20' without it being ~1/4 full of air. I was planning to either switch back into my old ABS plate, or get an aluminum plate to hold me over until I get a drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom