Bp+w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve.C:
Just wondering if it is worth getting a BP+W setup for just recreational diving. The most technical thing i might do is dive for lobstah. I live in RI

Your best bet would be a Zeagle fabric "backplate" in their Ranger, Tech, and 911 models. Then you can roll it up for scuba travel. The "wing" is also interchangable between different sizes as well.

IndigoBlue never fails to stun me with his brilliant insights and suggestions. Thanks for adding another relevant, well thought out post to ScubaBoard.

Definately the bp/wing setup is the way to go.

michael

I just returned to this thread and found that Jonnythan and Tobin George have responded to the questions raised.

One of the things I liked about the DSS rig was that the backplate was free from the burrs I've seen in Halcyon plates (you know, the ones that tear the webbing and poke holes in the wings). I assume this is all part of the cutting process used in manufacturing the plate (per Tobin) vs the stamping process used by others.

I also prefer the double bag of the wing I used over the single bag Pioneers (haven't dealt with an Eclipse yet). I have heard enough stories of the Pioneers developing pinholes. My X-Tek uses a double bag wing and the outer bag has a few holes that would have been a problem were I diving with a single unprotected bladder.

Dr. Bill

Steve.C:
Just wondering if it is worth getting a BP+W setup for just recreational diving. The most technical thing i might do is dive for lobstah. I live in RI
I have a steel Halcyon I work and play in and it does fine for me. I have found steel tanks to work better than aluminum tanks, although you may not be able to pull that off safely with a wetsuit. The lessened drag works out very well.

I have not seen the burr problem that some have reported, although a few seconds with a grinder would take care of it quickly enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom