BP/Wings vs Back inflate BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc wrote...
how does one quantify "comfort"?
I start by noting which features I prefer and which I find lacking, and the reasons why.

Do you notice a difference with the padded straps in water?

Which aspects of the cummerbund do you appreciate? The jacket BCs I've used had them, but I never found them noteworthy. What have I missed out on?

BTW, this wasn't a line of attack, Pete; it was simple curiosity.

It's probably just an erroneous impression, but you have occasionally seemed somewhat defensive where I'm concerned. Have I given offense at some point?

Pete,

I don't perceive you as a sissy. LOL

I think the original question has been answered about as good as we can. Ya think?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Pete,

I don't perceive you as a sissy. LOL

I think the original question has been answered about as good as we can. Ya think?

No, it's not pulp yet!!

Thanks to you NetDoc for pointing out the differences, and thanks to medtidium for supporting the BP/Wings. I believe that my question has been answered very well. PLEASE kiss and make up.....

One more thing.....is a back inflate bc stable enough to handle some of the bigger steel tanks? (as per my origional question, I am lookin for more breathing gas, and honestly dont think I can afford a drysuit, twins and a BP/Wing setup this year.....if my bc cant handle twins, is a steel 120 an option, or am I just gonna have to "be patient")

Thanks agan.....and play nice :D

I dive 120s in my Oceanic Chute II and am quite comfortable. I think that my trim as well as buoyancy control is as good as any cave diver I have seen, no matter their certifying agency. Those who have dove with me can attest to that as well.

Metridium... It's hard not to sound defensive when you have been beaten over the head with the BP/Wings debate as much as I have. Some just can't deal with the personal choice issue here. You are asking for cold hard facts about a warm & fuzzy issue.

As to your methodology... that sounds great and is probably why I don't design things for a living. I liked my ol' Toyota P'up better than I like my current Nissan P'up... why??? Just a feeling really, as the Nissan has not given me any real trouble. If I were designing a BC, I would do what you are talking about. Disecting each feature/benefit comes so easy to some and is not essential to others. Since I modify them very little, I look for a BC that fits right and is way high on my comfort level.

My Oceanic Chute II is not a standard "jacket style" BC. It is a back inflated BC. It really fits those of us who resemble a manatee. My BP/Wings is a Fred-T long SS and I have put it with an OMS non-bungeed 55# wing. I use Fred's stamped D-rings as well...

So to answer your question Metridium... I hate jacket style BCs and don't think you are missing anything there.

Here's my complete middle of the road answer.

I've done most of my dives with a Balance back inflate BC, it works well even with the HP 120's I currently dive. Although it would be nice if it had more than one cam band on the tank. If I were diving warm water with minimal exposure protection I'd probably still dive it.

I haven't done a ton of BP and wing dives as of yet, but having dove one with singles I did make the move over. The difference to me wasn't night and day as some here would imply, but I did feel that the tank was more secure and I personally prefered the overall feel of the rig.

I can see how someone could prefer a back inflate BC. If you can dive both and make your own decision.

Back
Top Bottom