Buy or rent computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, tec divers don't use computers. Sure.
There is a market full of tec computers.

There's a market full of $10,000 dive watches - does that mean that $10,000 dive watches are necessary for diving? :wink:

A non AI computer takes care of time, depth and displays "your condition" according to its algorithm. I really want to understand exactly what that tool is telling me.

For my money, get an inexpensive Nitrox computer and learn what it is saying to you. I dive a used Suunto Vyper that ran $150 with the transfer cable. That was 4 years ago and I dive weekly (call it less than $0.75 a dive)

I am a new diver.the first thing I bought after mask fins
And snorkel was a Zoop its great. I then bought the regs, BC, gauges with a computer in the cluster with an analog compass wetsuit oh and tank. Yes i use both computers on a dive. I like having my own stuff I know how it was cared for and when it was serviced. The computer is something I feel is a must have piece of safety gear

There's quite a few wrist mount puck style computers that do Nitrox for $200.

That being said, its a no-brainer to grab one of those if that's all your needs are.
It will quickly pay for itself if you start diving a lot. Of course if you start diving a lot, you will probably end up buying your own gear too... in which case you will already have your own dive computer :)

Like KEdiver, a computer is the first piece of equipment I bought after the basic "personal items". My local shop rents computers, which are on the console. I found I really didn't like that setup so I was happy to get a wrist-mounted computer. I liked starting with buying that because it's small/easy to store and because it was relatively inexpensive. I also figured it was a good purchase for a beginning diver, because so long as my computer could handle nitrox (it also has gauge mode) it would fit my needs for any dive location unlike exposure protection and I didn't still have much discovery of preferences like different kinds of BCs.

Get Oceanic BUD for a computer. It is less than $200, prices vary.

Anyway, it is very simple but up to the point. Does everything one would want. Very easy to use. One button, 2 screens.

Back
Top Bottom