Buying second hand dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssoooll

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys

I am travelling SE Asia at the moment and am going to be doing a lot of diving/liveaboards and so wanted to have my own computer but I’m a bit cash strapped at the moment. I also want to progress to to my rescue diver and my divemaster eventually

would really appreciate any info/ tips for buying

There is literally nothing in the world wrong with buying a used dive computer. I would say you could even go with one of the Peregrines from Shearwater if you are just doing rec/ light tech. But with the number of dives you have I would say you will be doing Rec for a while. There is actually a used Peregrine in the Classifieds here.

Be careful if you’re buying a higher end computer (Shearwater or Garmin). There are lots of scammers out there. Make sure the seller provides photos of the actual computer, including the screen showing serial number. You can check with Shearwater to make sure the serial number has not been reported as stolen.

Don't skimp on life safety equipment.
A computer is neither mandatory life support or safety equipment. It is a convenience over tables, a timing device, and a depth gauge.
As such when you are just starting out and strapped for cash, a used computer for recreational dives is perfectly fine. I've bought several older Oceanic Veo's for around $100 each for students to use in classes and they work just fine.
Also Leisure Pro (Scuba.com) often runs sales on basic computers for under $200 that will suit the average recreational diver or dive pro just fine and given them many years of service. They have some used Cressi's on there now for around 150 that are normally 230. Used Wrist Dive Computers - Buy at Scuba.com
They also have many others for under $300.

I bought my dive computer in 2010.
It is out of production now but it is almost as good as a recent Suunto Zoop Novo.

It had Air, Nitrox and Gauge modes and three preset divesite altitude choices.
I have done hundreds of dives with it and I have been to 60m on trimix with it.
No need to spend 600 or 1000 on a dive computer.

Sure, I need to plan my deeper deco dives in advance, and also plan for contingencies, and carry wetnotes and also memorize stuff. But all this is doable - and should really be done with any computer. And the screen could be a little brighter. The USB cable could be better (or wireless!). But my simple recreational dive computer has all the features that are necessary.

A basic nitrox computer with a gauge mode will serve you a long time if you are on a tight budget.
Make sure you can connect it to a computer to upload your divelogs to desktop/laptop.

After cycling through 3 or 4 lesser dive computers I've ended up with a used Shearwater Perdix AI that I bought for $700 here on the classifieds. A computer might not be mandatory life support or safety equipment but it will be mandatory to dive with many operators and liveaboards. Those who choose to dive tables and disparage computers are fighting a losing battle against practicality and progress. If you buy a cheap computer now it is almost guaranteed that you will be buying a more capable model soon if you continue diving. But, if money is a prime issue I'm sure you can locate a functional older model here for ~ $100 by watching the classifieds or posting a "wanted" ad.

Never said it was nor did I discourage him from buying used. I did imply due diligence, at least it felt like it at the time of writing.

Never said it was nor did I discourage him from buying used. I did imply due diligence, at least it felt like it at the time of writing.
It was good advice, albeit a bit short.

Others have chimed in (that's what makes Scubaboard so great) to give a more in-depth explanation for the more cash deprived diver.

I do believe that a dive computer is a piece of safety equipment, but I also do belive in that a dive computer can be replaced by dive tables - either by ready made ones or by those generated for your specific dive on a desktop/laptop or tablet or mobile phone. Ideally, you would have both on the more advanced dives (90...120ft or more).

Back
Top Bottom