Can BP/W be better than this backinflated BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There are a lot of BP/W enthusiats with good experience here. Some may even say the earth will collide with Mars if I don't dive BP/W:eyebrow: , but here is my question.

I'm looking to buy my first BC or BP/W, for warm water single tank vacation/travel recreation diving. A new BP/W system will cost several hundred dollars. Then I saw this DUI backinflate BC on close out sale. It sounds good at $160. Anyone have experience or can comment on this BC? On the other hand, the DUI weight harness is $83. What are the alternatives for adding weights other than using a weight belt, and not paying this $83?

Would the earth explode:D if I don't spend several hundred dollars more to buy a BP/W system to use?

Thanks.

For warm water, single tank, vacation/travel recreational diving a BC will work just fine.

If you are purchasing your first piece of gear, there is no intrinsic benefit to a bp/wing for that sort of diving in that environment for newer divers with the possible exception of the ability to fit anyone well.

On the other hand, close out sales can be both seductive and problematic for new divers. The reason why is that you don't know what you don't know.

Most close out sale merchandise is non-returnable, non-refundable. You buy it at a great discount (because the merchant either couldn't move it or has a truckload to get rid of), but if you later determine that it doesn't fit or isn't what you want, you now commence the E-Bay boogie. Nearly all of us have a drawer full of equipment that we don't use, that sounded like a good deal at the time... :wink:

Be careful that the BC you purchase first appears to meet your needs as you define them, and second, it might be wise to ensure that it can be returned or exchanged if you decide a week later that this one isn't the one for you.

[And for what its worth - diving in general is not a sport that you do well on the cheap. Obviously seek out good deals but, like anything else, you will generally tend to get what you pay for.]

Caveat Emptor,

Doc

Again...:popcorn:

Well... You are looking at a price upwards of $243. Plus you said you will need a weight system.

In my opinion, you will be happier with a backplate and wing. You will be able to custom fit a standard hogarthian harness. All the parts will be very tough and easily replaceable. In addition to this the rig foregoes unnecesary padding and does not add buoyancy. If you were to get a steel backplate you would be looking at taking at least 5 to 8 pounds off of your normal weight belt.

I dive and continue to sing praise for the Golem Gear backplate and wing. The stainless steel combo sounds like what you might need. Not to mention those prices are VERY nice for the consumer. Check it out: Http://golemgear.com the wing deals are right on the front page.

I've been diving for a while and reading about BCD's here and other places. I guess I've used all the different styles and have come to the simple conclusion that the BP/W is by far the best all purpose, infinitely adjustable, life saving, made for any and all conditions and occations BCD there is. Just Kidding.

Don Janni:
I've been diving for a while and reading about BCD's here and other places. I guess I've used all the different styles and have come to simple conclusion that the BP/W is by far the best all purpose, infinitely adjustable, life saving, made for any and all conditions and occations BCD there is. Just Kidding.

It makes good coffee too :coffee:

rakkis:
It makes good coffee too :coffee:

not intended to

:wink:

just dives better than any BCD any day (just my opinion, of course)

Don Janni:
I've been diving for a while and reading about BCD's here and other places. I guess I've used all the different styles and have come to the simple conclusion that the BP/W is by far the best all purpose, infinitely adjustable, life saving, made for any and all conditions and occations BCD there is. Just Kidding.

LOL... I almost peed in my pants reading this.

go with the plate you won't be sorry.

Torontonian:
There are a lot of BP/W enthusiats with good experience here. Some may even say the earth will collide with Mars if I don't dive BP/W:eyebrow: , but here is my question.

I'm looking to buy my first BC or BP/W, for warm water single tank vacation/travel recreation diving. A new BP/W system will cost several hundred dollars. Then I saw this DUI backinflate BC on close out sale. It sounds good at $160. Anyone have experience or can comment on this BC? On the other hand, the DUI weight harness is $83. What are the alternatives for adding weights other than using a weight belt, and not paying this $83?

Would the earth explode:D if I don't spend several hundred dollars more to buy a BP/W system to use?

Thanks.

I just checked your link and I'd buy it. DUI is a quality mfg. Heck, for $160, if you don't like it you can just give it away. If cost is a big concern, forget the harness and buy a $5 weight belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom