Can you fail the Navigation adventure dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, you can fail anything; as in not meet the minimum standards. It does happen, especially with folks that do not have any prior experience with a compass. My hope would be that you have an instructor for whom "failure is not an option," in other words, one who will take the time to ensure that you posses a thorough understanding of the concepts before taking you out to perform the skills; one that will work with you as much as it takes in order to make sure that you do not "fail."

Just remember that the Adventure dive is meant to introduce you to the discipline. Study the manual, do the dry land practice, and most importantly ask questions about anything that you do not fully understand. If you instructor does not know that you are struggling with something they cannot give you the help that you need. You are in a learning environment so don't feel like you have struggle through and do it all on your own. You are paying for them to teach you so take advantage of their expertise!

Last edited:
Don't go into that dive with the wrong mentality though - you are trying to learn something - not sitting a driving test. It is OK if it takes a while to get the hang of it.

Probably depends on the instructor. I got lost on mine (didn't know how to use the compass) and my instructor just shrugged.

Did you ask for a refund?

Sure, you can fail anything; as in not meet the minimum standards.

Being pedantic, that's not "failing" just "not passing".

It also depends on the AOW course you are taking, For example you can fail mine. If you cannot perform the skills I require no card is issued. It's why we spend 7-8 hours in the classroom plus another 3-4 on site in addition to the dives. But usually this does not happen as before you will even be allowed to take my class we will have an interview where I review your log, discuss your dive history, and if need be, do a pool session and perhaps a couple OW dives to be sure you are ready for the course.

It also depends on the AOW course you are taking, For example you can fail mine. If you cannot perform the skills I require no card is issued.

I'd still argue that's "not passing" as opposed to failing. I just don't like the word "fail". :wink:

I guess to truely fail my AOW courses, a student would have to be so unsafe as a diver that after one or more dives that I would refund them completely and send them away never to come back again.

If a student didn't acheive the standard on one or more dives/skills - in the debrief, they'd get some suggestions for what to go away and practice before coming back. Everyone gets one chance at reassessment at no additional charge - after that, it's an hourly rate charge.

It may be a dumb question but I'm taking my aow course in 6 days and I'm wondering if I can fail my nav dive or if I just have to complete it, I don't know why but thinking about it makes me nervous

Thnks
Blair

The Padi Instructor's manual states:

To allow credit for a particular dive, you must verify that the student diver successfully completed the dive performance requirements and completed the associated Knowledge Review.
The Navigation standards are:

By the end of this dive, the student diver will be able to:
1. Maintain neutral buoyancy during the dive.
2. Determine the average number of kick cycles AND average
amount of time required to cover a distance of approximately 30
metres/100 feet while swimming underwater at a normal, re-
laxed pace.
3. Navigate (surfacing only if necessary to verify direction or lo-
cation) to a predetermined location and return to within 15
metres/50 feet of the starting point using natural references and
estimated distance measurement (kick cycles or time).
4. Demonstrate the correct positioning and handling of a compass
needed to maintain an accurate heading while swimming under-
water.
5. Navigate (without surfacing) to a predetermined location and
return to within 6 metres/20 feet of the starting point using a
compass and estimated distance measurement (kick cycles or
time).
6. Swim a square pattern underwater returning to within 8
metres/25 feet of the starting point using a compass and begin-
ning from a fixed location. recommended size of square – each side 30
metres/100 feet, or total combined length of approximately 120 metres/400
feet.

And a student can not meet requirements on a dive, and should not be given credit if they can not be brought to standards. A good instructor will work diligently to give a student every opportunity to succeed and to work hard to provide any remedial instruction necessary.

Weather you use the word "fail" or not is simply a semantic argument.

I'd still argue that's "not passing" as opposed to failing. I just don't like the word "fail". :wink:

I guess to truely fail my AOW courses, a student would have to be so unsafe as a diver that after one or more dives that I would refund them completely and send them away never to come back again.

If a student didn't acheive the standard on one or more dives/skills - in the debrief, they'd get some suggestions for what to go away and practice before coming back. Everyone gets one chance at reassessment at no additional charge - after that, it's an hourly rate charge.

That was my point exactly; a good instructor does not let a student "fail" (except in the most extreme cases) but rather works with them until they master the course material. I'm glad to see that you are in that category.

You would think that with the term advanced (I know the course name is a misnomer, but still) tagged onto this effort it would include making a dive, not just performing a few tricks. I mean why isn't it something like plan a 30 minute or longer shore dive utilizing at least 3 headings and return to the exit. That would be a practical demonstration that as a diver you can actually navigate.

To the OP...
Practice as needed on dry land. If you can handle your back yard with a towel over your head then your biggest next step underwater is learning to trust yourself and the instrument. Have a good time and do not accept the card unless you are successful, you paid to be trained.

Pete

Weather you use the word "fail" or not is simply a semantic argument.

In a sense, yes.... in a clinical internet sense, ignoring there are people involved. But, when you've got a student in front of you who hasn't met the performance requirements, no. Using the word failed has many negative conotations that can affect that person in ways you cannot immediately perceived. I also tend to avoid the use of the word "pass" as well. You've either reached the requires standard, or you need to practice more to get there.

In my observations as a DM, the single biggest problem divers have is maintaining buoyancy. You just can't navigate well if you keep drifting to the surface or down to the mud and have to stop to operate your BC. Your distance will be all wrong and it's hard to keep the compass level when you are swimming diagonal in the water column.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom