Cetatek Warp1 fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaboJim, " He never went back to Force Fins." I don't know why comments like this make my blood boil. I guess that it so absurd for someone who has dove Force Fins to revert to a pendulum pressuring off the end of their toe, that I think that you are just provoking me. And, I take things very personally. The only redeeming quality of The SeaWings were the leading edges, which Scubapro took from Force Fin and was forced by the FTC to change their ads to not claim credit therefor. SeaWings split at the hinging point, they have since day one, and they'll continue to do so. IMNSHO

Scubapro fixed the hinge point breaking issue by leaving one side solid now.

One of my buddies have just bought this Cetatek fins. We're trying it out to see how good it is against my Seawing Nova and Atomic split fins.

As far as for those who don't like split fins...haterz gonna hate.

---------- Post added January 31st, 2013 at 10:34 AM ----------

While I have always liked Scuba Pro regs, they do like taking the technology of others, and then creating the appearance of being an "originator" themselves. You should have seen how negative they were to the ideas for a DIR bp/wing that George Irvine and JJ ran by them in the late 90's---but after the first appearance of Halcyon at DEMA, and lines of thousands of divers to check out the NEW development in gear, suddenly Scubapro realized they had missed the boat....in the years following, they borrowed from Halcyon, tried to look like an innovator, but failed badly.

Aren't Halcyon regs rebadged Scubapro regs?

Update on the Warp1: my buddy who went from Atomic split fins to it as his first solid fin liked it. He said the first dive was rough because he had to get used to the new style of kicking but after that, it was good to go. We did two long dives and the second one was against a bit of current. If he hadn't told me that he felt the fins were unnatural for him at the first dive, I wouldn't have noticed. He looked quite natural with the fins. I noticed that it displaced a lot of water. One kick from him and it pushed the guy quite a bit. Also, he kicked up a lot of silt even though he was probably 3 or 4 ft off the bottom (horizontal trim) until I pointed it out to him.

By the second dive he was movin' and groovin', hovering, helicopter turns, etc.

I was going to give it a whirl but my feet were much smaller and the fin pockets were swimming around it.

Good to hear that someone has actually tried a pair. I would expect a little bit of a break-in period to get used to the fins since they are radically different. My wife may be getting me a pair for my birthday in a couple of weeks (just in time for my birthday dive trip). I will report back on how they work out. I have used the same pair of ScubaPro Jet fins for over 30 years but since the foot pocket is finally splitting I decided it was time for something new.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Even though the foot pockets didn't fit my feet/booties, I gave it a college try anyway. The kick feels heavy like the Jet Fins, so for those who are used to Jet Fins, the weight of the kick shouldn't be an issue. If anything, you'd get more distance for the same kick effort. Believe you me, this mamajama displaces some serious water.

This tread seems to have been hijacked by opinion and bias. I would like to return to the original question: has anyone actually tested a pair of the Cetatek warp 1 fins and if so what did you think?

There were a couple of people who indicated that they either had or were going to order a set. Have they arrived and have you had a chance to try them?

Mine showed up after a long backorder - and were the wrong color. I got the ones I wanted sent out to me, and they showed up yesterday. I have 5 days of diving starting a week from now - I will get them wet then and report back.

And to add to the rest of the discussion, the fins I am replacing are the seawing novas. I really liked them for flutter kicking, but since my diving has advanced along, I find that I rarely flutter any more. The novas always felt funny for me when I frog kick, and they never really worked well for me when I back kick. That was the main reason I ordered the warp 1's. They seem like they are kind of a split fin/solid fin hybrid, with a more traditional fin profile than the novas. We shall see in a week!

So I have 2 full days of diving with these fins now, and 2 more to go, and so far I am loving them!

A little background about me and the types of diving I do before I talk about the fins:

For my personal set of fins that I use for rec diving, I have Scubapro seawing novas. I have had these since I first started diving, and I really like them because they are gentle on the knees and ankles, and can really move when you need them to. They are awesome on flutter kicks...

After I had been diving for a year or so, I started doing some volunteer work at the local aquarium. Although it is not formally "tech" diving, it is impossible to work effectively at the aquarium without doing tech style kicks. Over time, I found that I actually prefer the frog kick for getting around, and that I really like being able to back kick, even on rec dives, particularly when I am doing video or taking pictures. That's when I started struggling with the novas - they are not really built for those kinds of kicks. Back kicking, in particular, is really difficult vs a standard profile fin. Not impossible...just...difficult...and a lot more inefficient than in other types of fins.

At the aquarium, they provide all the gear we dive with, which includes OMS slipstreams and Scubapro jet fins. These traditional tech fins are GREAT for moving you around with tech style kicks, but in my opinion, they are rather stiff and unforgiving on the knees and ankles. That said, they can really move you with tech style kicks in ways the novas just...can't. That stiffness really makes small effort turn into big movement and precise control. I don't generally need to flutter kick in these, but when we do during safety and rescue drills, I find that I cramp up like crazy in these types of fins. I also find the foot pocket somewhat uncomfortable - but in fairness, the boots we wear at the aquarium are pretty flimsy vs my rec boots.

Now back to the warp1s. I bought these fins to replace my recreational set of scubapro seawing novas. It was my hope that they would still be more comfortable than traditional style fins, and significantly more comfortable than the tech style fins. I also hoped that they would perform more like a tech style fin for the tech type kicks. This week I am doing open water scientific work with the aquarium, which gave me the opportunity to use my own fins for tech type work - so that means I got to put the warp1's through the paces in my dry suit, hauling lots of gear, and doing actual work underwater.

The warp1's work GREAT for tech kicks. I have found that even gentle frog kicks can really move me around in these fins. Back kicking and helicopter turns are as easy as in traditional tech fins. In the same gear, with traditional tech fins, I get sore ankles by the end of the day. Not in the warp1's! Although there is certainly more resistance on the ankles with the warp1's vs my seawing novas, they are MILES ahead of the tech fins in regards to comfort. The only time I got even a LITTLE sore with the warp1's was yesterday when we did open water rescue and safety drills, including tired diver tows and long surface swims to "panicked" divers. That said, these fins really can move with a strong flutter - I was moving through the water really well!

The thing that surprised me, though, is how well these fins compared to the traditional tech fins doing tech style kicks. At the start of today's work, we measured how many frog kicks it took us to cross a specific distance since we were doing some mapping work. Although I didn't have time to compare the fins to the slipstreams or jetfins on my own feet today, my colleagues wearing those fins did NOT move any farther per kick than I did in those measurements. I do feel like I was working less than I usually do in slipstreams to go the same distance, however, and that is always a plus. As far as fine control is concerned, I don't think I am giving up ANYTHING versus the standard tech fins. Forward, backward, rotations - all easily done. And like I said - all while loaded down with gear.

Now am I saying that tech divers should throw away their fins and buy these warp1's? Goodness no...tech fins are awesome for doing tech work. Of course, if you are a tech diver that would like a fin with some oomph to move you around, and doesn't give up much (if anything) vs a traditional tech fin, with SIGNIFICANTLY increased comfort - well maybe it would be worth giving these a try.

But if you are a recreational diver that would like a fin that can perform like a tech fin with more comfort? Well, then the warp1's are a no brainer! I do think that my seawing novas are probably a little more comfortable if all I were doing was flutter kicks. I would presume the same would be true for split fins. I can guarantee you that neither of those fins will outperform the warp1 in tech style kicks, though.

Some final notes - although the sizing on the fins are listed as XL up to size 12+, I am wearing size 13 soft boots on my dry suit, and they fit these fins just fine with the spring straps. They also fit my rec boots, which are only marginally smaller. They are SLIGHTLY negative in fresh water - which makes me believe they may be neutral or slightly positive in salt. Oh...and there is some aggressive texture on the bottom of the fin which makes it pretty stable. We were walking over some algae covered bottom next to our entry point while setting up, and these fins didn't slide around as much as some other fins I have used at the same location.

Hope this info is helpful! Cheers

Great review, thanks! I orders a pair last week. Hopefully they will come in before my next dive, especially since the foot pockets on my jet fins are split. I'll post back here after I have had a chance to try them.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Hope this info is helpful! Cheers

Very, very helpful. I wish I could "like" your post multiple times. Question: I'm about a size 11 shoe, my full foot Cressi Free Frogs are marked size 8½ - 9½, 43 - 44. my Aeris Velocity 3X's don't have a size but the boots that fit are Tusa and are size 10. Any idea what size I would need for the Cetatek's?

Very, very helpful. I wish I could "like" your post multiple times. Question: I'm about a size 11 shoe, my full foot Cressi Free Frogs are marked size 8½ - 9½, 43 - 44. my Aeris Velocity 3X's don't have a size but the boots that fit are Tusa and are size 10. Any idea what size I would need for the Cetatek's?

You probably need a size large, I would think. My size 13 drysuit boots are a tight fit (length wise) into the XL fins, and my size 13 wetsuit boots fit a little better. The foot pocket is quite generous, though, so there is no squeeze around my foot - it's just a little on the short side for my drysuit boots. That said, after 4 days of wearing them continuously in my drysuit, it wasn't an issue.

So, first hand user report... This fin is Stiff, and generates a ton of speed. Got a pair from Jens the distributer in Nor Cal. There are a lot of similarities between the Mares X-Stream and the and the Scuba Blow Sea Wing Gorilla. Good for diving in Current and on drift dives and some Tek guys may even want to mess around with them. The center channel is very elastic and does a damn good job at generating thrust. Unlike my Splits I can do a variety of kick styles and they seem to respond similar to a more traditional paddle fin. That being said there is a market for them in my opinion although if you have knee, hip, ankle issues you will probably be better served with a pair of Atomic Splits.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2013 at 09:24 AM ----------

Haha, auto correct strikes again. However it was too funny for me to edit it. Scuba Blow....

Back
Top Bottom