Cetatek Warp1 fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad that you guys liked these Warp 1 fins. I like'em too but not enough to buy a pair of my own. I rarely do frog kicks because I find that I can hover and station keeping with very slightly semi-flutter kicks or flicking the fins of my Seawing Novas, and when I want to traverse some distance, I prefer the flutter kick to get me moving instead of frog kicking my way across a long distance in the ocean.

My buddy is ecstatic with his Warp 1 fins, though he still likes his Atomic split fins.

Me personally I can't really tell the practical difference between the Seawing Novas, Atomic split or the Warp 1 when it comes to hovering, turns, station keeping, moving slow, or even moving fast. I should work on the back kick more but most of my diving is in the ocean and it seems like the back kicks don't really give enough oomph to fight against surges.

They're all different and you simply have to adapt your kick techniques in order to extract the best performances from these fins.

HTnWarp1Fins_zps5ea3e6c1.jpg

They're almost direct copies of Mares X-Streams so they must be pretty good fins unless they're real heavy or something.

Me personally I can't really tell the practical difference between the Seawing Novas, Atomic split or the Warp 1 when it comes to hovering, turns, station keeping, moving slow, or even moving fast. I should work on the back kick more but most of my diving is in the ocean and it seems like the back kicks don't really give enough oomph to fight against surges.

For the way you described using your fins, I agree the novas would work great. I LOVE my novas for flutter kicking around. I just found the novas a bit of a struggle when it came to doing technical kicks - particularly back kicking. I'm not knocking the novas, though - they are still a great fin if you aren't worried about tech kicks. And frankly, they still frog kick pretty well, though I don't feel I have the same fine control doing it as I do with the warp 1's. Without a doubt, the kick is lighter from the Novas if you have bad knees or ankles. For me, though, even in ocean diving, I don't flutter kick much any more. I'm not really worried about going fast when I am out there, so frog kicking gives me a nice slow pace to move along and not miss the cool stuff hiding on the bottom. Also, it lets me sit close to the bottom and not silt things up for the people behind me. Back kicking is never meant to fight surges, but even in some decent current, it is a pretty effective positioning kick. When you are down there doing work and not just looking around, you begin to really appreciate the difference between the fins when you are trying to stay PERFECTLY stationary when measuring things and such.

They're almost direct copies of Mares X-Streams so they must be pretty good fins unless they're real heavy or something.

I can't say I agree with this at all - they are similar cosmetically, but the concept behind what generates the thrust on the 2 fins is quite different. The pleated area in the warp 1 expands out when you put force to it - the mares fins don't do that at all. The mares is more of a reinforced hinge in the middle of the fin, and in my opinion, functions a lot more like the nova than the warp 1.

i can't say i agree with this at all - they are similar cosmetically, but the concept behind what generates the thrust on the 2 fins is quite different. The pleated area in the warp 1 expands out when you put force to it - the mares fins don't do that at all. The mares is more of a reinforced hinge in the middle of the fin, and in my opinion, functions a lot more like the nova than the warp 1.

:))lol:))

OK...from the Mares product literature on that fin:
"Mares "X-Stream" fins also feature the Mares patented Optimized Pivoting Blade (OPB) system, which causes the blade to flex at an optimal angle during both the upward and downward strokes."

Kind of sounds like the Seawing Nova concept, doesn't it?Actually...go watch the video on the mares website for this product...the video demo of how it works is almost identical to the video for the seawing!

In regards to the blade itself:
"
Super Channel Thrust Technology System for Optimal Water Channeling" and "New blade construction for less turbulence"

They have a fixed channel in the middle that is supposed to keep water moving in one direction with less turbulence. This, at least, is a step in the direction of what the warp is doing. The warp has an expanding and contracting center channel that both increases the surface area of the fin with increased force applied, and a funneling effect that accomplishes what the Mares fin is doing.

Not even close to an exact copy, however...

My X-Streams are better than your Warps and there's nothing you can say that will change that. :wink:

OK...from the Mares product literature on that fin:
"Mares "X-Stream" fins also feature the Mares patented Optimized Pivoting Blade (OPB) system, which causes the blade to flex at an optimal angle during both the upward and downward strokes."

Kind of sounds like the Seawing Nova concept, doesn't it?Actually...go watch the video on the mares website for this product...the video demo of how it works is almost identical to the video for the seawing!

In regards to the blade itself:
"
Super Channel Thrust Technology System for Optimal Water Channeling" and "New blade construction for less turbulence"

They have a fixed channel in the middle that is supposed to keep water moving in one direction with less turbulence. This, at least, is a step in the direction of what the warp is doing. The warp has an expanding and contracting center channel that both increases the surface area of the fin with increased force applied, and a funneling effect that accomplishes what the Mares fin is doing.

Not even close to an exact copy, however...

Last edited:
My X-Streams are better than your Warps and there's nothing you can say that will change that. :wink:

Well this is what I would call an open minded and rational response to someone who took time to defend his standing point with real arguments (it definitively goes a long way from a "lol" response). I suspect you didn't need to give the fin a real try to be able to come to your conclusion?

Thank you for all the reports people with first hand experience gave, it is so much more interesting to read from people who made up their opinion by testing the fin, rather than just dismissing it or approving of it after a quick glance at some pictures on the internet.

Well this is what I would call an open minded and rational response to someone who took time to defend his standing point with real arguments (it definitively goes a long way from a "lol" response). I suspect you didn't need to give the fin a real try to be able to come to your conclusion?

Thank you for all the reports people with first hand experience gave, it is so much more interesting to read from people who made up their opinion by testing the fin, rather than just dismissing it or approving of it after a quick glance at some pictures on the internet.

I agree, it's great to have some real information prior to making a purchase decision. I ordered a pair of these fins several weeks ago. Unfortunately they did not come in prior to my West Palm Beach/Jupiter trips, so it may be some time before I can get them in the water. I will report back when I finally do.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I agree, it's great to have some real information prior to making a purchase decision. I ordered a pair of these fins several weeks ago. Unfortunately they did not come in prior to my West Palm Beach/Jupiter trips, so it may be some time before I can get them in the water. I will report back when I finally do.

Just poking a little fun you guys. Lighten up a bit. I guess you didn't read where I said they must be pretty good fins. Except for the pleating they work the same and have a design similar to the X-Streams.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

If you get back to Palm Beach, I would love a chance to try them at BHB....If you would be willing...

Back
Top Bottom