ChristoLube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are lots of inert, teflon based lubricants available, but none of them are as readily available and as inexpensive as ChristoLube.

The only lubricant I can think of that *might* work as a substitute for ChristoLube (in some applications) is Tef-Gel (www.tef-gel.com). It's a teflon based grease used primarily to prevent corrosion between dissimilar metals in the marine environment. I don't know if the manufacturer approves it for oxygen usage, but it appears to be pretty inert. It's very viscous, so it probably isn't suitable or use on internal regulator parts, but it would work OK for lubricating tank o-rings, tank valves, etc. It's available as most marine hardware stores like West Marine.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
anything that has teflon in it is NOT suitable for O2 use.

Again, TEFLON is not good in an O2 environment.

Stick to Christolube... we all are.

Christolube contains teflon.

<insert foot in mouth here>

Tribolube71 is a more economic replacement
Several weeks ago, we received samples of the two Tribolube products for testing. Comparison of the material properties and material test sheets with Christolube match up almost identically. This product is slightly more economical than Christolube and we may be offering it on our website soon. It remains to be seen if it will achieve the following that Christolube currently has. Following and product confidence will clearly determine if this new product is to be found in the traditional outlets in the future.

Phil Ellis

Here, most divers are not familiar with "Christolube" and is not readily available under that name, it may be available under another name though, I am not sure,........anyway, so most of us here use "Dow Cornings" products in particular the Molycote 55 range - its available at all hydraulic, o-ring, marine boat shops, actually almost everywhere in tubes, tubs and drums.

It may be worthwhile taking a look at the Dow Corning web site, sometimes product names and formulations vary in differant countries, but here they have literally thousands of silicone products, for thousands of uses, all with excellant distribution.

I am sure a call to them will also be fruitfull.?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom