• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cleaning a mask in the dishwasher

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by Sbiriguda, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    There are two kinds of wetsuit divers.

1. Those that pee in their wetsuit; and

2. Those that pee in their wetsuit and lie and say they don't. :)

A quick rinse in the clothes washer does amazing things!

Silt Life likes this.
  2. SleepySlipper

SleepySlipper Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    @Sbiriguda I have been throwing my masks in the dishwasher top rack since I first started diving in 2010. Dozens of the different soap brands, every heat cycle/time setting imaginable throughout the years. I typically remove the mask strap and dont really care if it is thrown in with a full load of dishes. Currently toss in my primary and backup mask for a cycle once a month.

3. JohnnyC

JohnnyC PADI Pro

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Bulls**t. I don't pee in my wetsuit, and never have. However, I also put it in the washer, there's all sorts of junk in the water, and a "fresh" water rinse bin is a laughable suggestion at best.

I will piss in a pair of board shorts though, just up current of the group if I can manage.

Silt Life and chillyinCanada like this.
  4. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

I haven't peed in one of my wetsuits in about 5 years. I think it must be kidney failure, as in days prior it seemed that I barely had a choice.

I still run my wetsuits through a light coldwater run in the front load after a big trip.

5. chillyinCanada

Now that's funny! And a good point.

It should be noted though that glasses can become marked up from repeated runs through the dishwasher.

6. Joneill

Joneill Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Why? Seems overkill for the task. Is your mask that dirty? I’ve seen enough etched glassware over the years to not want to stick my “underwater glasses” in there!

chillyinCanada likes this.
  7. JohnnyC

JohnnyC PADI Pro

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Apparently it's not a personal attack to joke about an individual peeing in their wetsuit, but it's a personal attack to joke about being unable to hold our pee.

Seriously mod?! We're all friends here and we're not in basic.....

Sorry @Scuba Lawyer apparently my joke about your incontinence was a little too edgy. If I offended you, I apologize.

8. Norwegian Cave Diver

Norwegian Cave Diver Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I take my mask apart and clean it. It’s easy to do. Don’t use anything sharp. Use a credit card. Use the edge of the credit card to open up the small little clips and disassemble completely. Clean with dish soap. Rinse really really well. Dry it and reassemble. Like new when your done and everything is clean and inspected.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  9. dumpsterpurrs

dumpsterpurrs Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I'm wondering something similar, say, can I put my wetsuit and verrrry dirty gloves (from reef restoration work I promise! Gloves didnt get dirty bc I carelessly grabbed onto anything!) with some detergent into the dishwasher, not washing machine, and run a cold wash without drying?

10. chillyinCanada

You can put your gloves in the dishwasher but I wouldn't put my suit in there. If a diver puts their wetsuit in a frontload it shouldn't go through the spin cycle, especially not one of those European type washers that I've seen in Singapore and Thailand.

dumpsterpurrs likes this.