COBALT-2 wishlist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ron - more later on simulation and perhaps integration with mac. I am off to ADEX, Singapore. I will report back in a few days. Cheers, Charlie

My wife and I just returned from a Caribbean dive vacation where once again our Cobalts worked flawlessly except for the continuing 3 to 4 degree fahrenheit high reading on the temperature display.

On my wish list:

A firmware update to address the temperature variance if that's possible.

Make all audible alarms optional.

Drop the recently added clock or at least make it optional. I don't usually care what time it is at 60 feet plus (and if I do I just look at my watch), but I do like to keep track of my max depth at all times.

My wife and I just returned from a Caribbean dive vacation where once again our Cobalts worked flawlessly except for the continuing 3 to 4 degree fahrenheit high reading on the temperature display.

On my wish list:

A firmware update to address the temperature variance if that's possible.

Make all audible alarms optional.

Drop the recently added clock or at least make it optional. I don't usually care what time it is at 60 feet plus (and if I do I just look at my watch), but I do like to keep track of my max depth at all times.

Glad to hear the Cobalts are working well (apart from the case still being MIA):depressed:.

The temperature comment keeps coming up, and we keep checking Cobalts that are reported to read high with calibrated thermometers, and the Cobalts test as accurate- IF they are allowed to equalize to ambient temperature. What I suspect is happening (at least some of the time) is that the case, being fairly massive, is retaining heat- even from being held in the hand occasionally. The sensor is located right about where one would grip the unit. That means the sensor itself, which is integral to the depth pressure sensor, may actually be warmer than ambient water temperature, at least in some situations. One clue is that we don't typically get these reports from very cold water, where heavily insulated gloves are the norm. Temperature figures into the calibration of the depth sensor, so it needs to be accurate at the sensor. There may be another explanation, but that is the best I can come up with based on what we see. It's a real issue, but I don't know how this could be addressed with firmware. Better water flow around the sensor or a new location for the sensor are the only things that I can think of that could improve this.

Audible alarm turn off is a feature on the to do list, with quite a few requests.

We had a lot of requests for the time of day, and so had it alternate with the temperature, as neither are critical diving information. Max Depth always displays in the dive screen. But one of the things we want to work on is more options for customizing the interface elements, so you can select what you do and don't want to see. We are proceeding cautiously, as one of the things we want to avoid is loading too many custom settings, and making the Cobalt harder to use.

Ron

Ron, that case retaining heat theory makes a lot of sense since the displayed temperature is usually closer to the air temperature rather than the water temperature.

My bad on the max depth/time of day thing. I'm still a little rummy from the trip. I'm surprised to hear Atomic got a lot of requests for time of day, but hey, to each his own. For me, it was a little disconcerting to see a display for one thing (temperature) only to see a different display (time) in the same spot the next time I looked at the computer. Obviously, this isn't a major issue. If I were to prioritize my above wish list, by far the most important is to give us a way to turn off the audible alarms.

Gauge mode is something we have thought about, and that often comes up as a question. For a recreational computer the main problem we see is that if it is entered for a dive, It invalidates any subsequent deco calculations for a significant time afterwards. It's kind of the equivalent of a lock out, which is something we wanted to avoid. I have wondered what is really the goal in having a gauge mode on a computer- is it just to turn off deco calculations? To avoid alarms? To have a different, simpler display? The computer is, obviously, always a gauge- just one that does extra calculations. I'd like to understand better what divers want to accomplish (or not accomplish) with a gauge mode.
To implement gauge mode requires a change in Atomic's core assumptions. Atomic assumes their computer understands more about the dive than the diver. Gauge mode removes this assumption completely. One thing the Cobalt has never suffered is an identity crisis. I think Atomic would essentially have to still sell the V1.0 (Rec) and offer a V2.0 (Tec) if they started too far down the "change in core assumptions" path.

I'm surprised to hear Atomic got a lot of requests for time of day, but hey, to each his own.

Gotta make sure you get out of the water and still have enough time to make it to the bar before it closes :D.

That said often times folks leave watches at home rather than in a vehicle (theft) so knowing the time of day before starting the dive and perhaps changing length of the dive based on that.

..... For me, it was a little disconcerting to see a display for one thing (temperature) only to see a different display (time) in the same spot the next time I looked at the computer. ...
That was something we thought quite a bit about- one of our guiding principles has been to keep a consistent display of information all the time during diving. Hence no "compass screen", etc. It's only because temperature is in itself kind of superfluous that we made the change. We eventually want to provide display options so people can set what they want. The main reason cited for wanting time of day had to do with diving in groups, and having an agreed exit time.

Ron

If you are working on a AI wireless/hoseless version of your computer (this is the ONLY option for me to buy/use a dive computer), I need this computer to be able to track pressure/gas consumption and O2%, etc. for several independent Tanks and knowing when the diver has switched to what Tank. The computer should be able to adjust the deco and airtime remaining information based on the Tank in use during the dive. This is important for Sidemount and deco divers.

I also want the wrist computer to have big display (I don't like the "watch" type due to their small size) and long strap/bungee to fit over the forearm even when using a drysuit with thick thermal underwear.

Most of the "wishes" above are great. The new AI wireless/hoseless version of your computer should start from the Cobalt as a base and add more features (and improve the current ones) based on the comments above. I'd agree with the poster that you should take a serious look at your competitors (Liquivision and others) and see what you use from their unique features and add more than what they have.

A thin HP hose/line would be interesting. As for a transmitter on a hose, many already do something similar using a 9" hose which allows the transmitter to be tucked down and between the tank and wing. Some even add a quick disconnect. There is typically no issue with interference and it stays in place.

Another option to consider is to run an HP hose to a housing mounted to the tank. Then have a cable run down the arm to the display and controls which also has an LED light head. Ergonomically and aesthetically the LEDs should probably be in a more or less rectangular array following the profile of the display housing. The downside is it would dictate placement on a particular arm (left or right). This solution supports:

1. Keeping the large rechargeable batteries of the Cobalt (great feature)
  2. Adds a useful feature that any diver can use (the light)
  3. Eliminates separate batteries for the primary transmitter
  4. Eliminates the awkward and vulnerable transmitter screwed into the HP port
  5. Provides plenty of power for running the display on high brightness

If, as already suggested, you add Blue-Tooth communications for downloads instead of the adapted USB connection, you could use the same electronics to pick up wireless signals from additional HP transmitters.

Add induction charging and you eliminate all external electrical connections beyond the cable leading the wrist display/light.

Yes, it is a departure from competitors. However the added feature of the light is consistent with canister lights used now and justifies the cable. I think you can communicate a compelling story for a product like this with a simple photograph.

I wish they'd just get a non-AI wrist version out the door and worry about jumping on the tank transmitter short-bus later. Thankfully, Shearwater has the Petrel, so it doesn't matter too much that Atomic hasn't built quickly on the Cobalt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom