COBALT-2 wishlist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I don’t know what the optimum sample and display rate would be but about 1/10th second would be a guess.
Our limitation is not the display at all, it will be fine with full speed video. it's the time it takes for the sensor to get a good sample and for us to evaluate it to make sure it is a good reading, which is around a second. Each sample takes some processing and other calculations need to be done before it is displayed. I expect this is an issue with dive computers and digital displays in general, they are not going to give the quality of real time feedback you would get from watching a capillary in shallow water. Maybe embedding a tube gauge around the lens, like the old combo gauges? :D

Displaying just up-down indications when at a stop is an interesting idea that I will discuss amongst our group. I don't immediately see any reason why it could not be done. That could help prevent the kind of rounding error overcorrection you describe. The depth sensor will resolve to a few inches, but I don't think we want to clutter the display with too much information.

We already do something like this with the ascent bar graph, where each segment represents about 1m or 3 ft / second ascent rate. It would just need higher resolution, and both an up and down component.

Ron

… The depth sensor will resolve to a few inches, but I don't think we want to clutter the display with too much information….

I could not agree more.

…We already do something like this with the ascent bar graph, where each segment represents about 1m or 3 ft / second ascent rate. It would just need higher resolution, and both an up and down component….

The more I think about it, an analog-like display as you describe sounds great. Hope it helps.

I have to wonder how many people in poor visibility blame their problems holding depth entirely on poor skills? This may be one of the many small things that make people like one product over another without realizing why.

Hi all,

I am interested in knowing how tough you think the cobalt is? I do a lot of very hard diving, shore, working, lobster, deep, and multiday liveaboards. I am very hard on my gear, and have had my lovely old Oceanic Data plus survive longer than any other computer and dive watch I've had. I've read some issues about previous productions of the cobalt flooding, and hopefully they fixed that. How has the screen and buttons held up to scratching and damage? Thanks in advance.

There were some leaking issues with earlier production, however they were more related to seal design/ O-ring specifications and assembly errors than basic strength or design. Those issues have been dealt with. My feeling is that the Cobalt case is almost overbuilt from the standpoint of just holding up to impacts and rough use. The most vulnerable part is the lens, and a good protector is advisable. That said, the factory can easily replace one that gets deeply gouged.

There were some leaking issues with earlier production, however they were more related to seal design/ O-ring specifications and assembly errors than basic strength or design. Those issues have been dealt with. My feeling is that the Cobalt case is almost overbuilt from the standpoint of just holding up to impacts and rough use. The most vulnerable part is the lens, and a good protector is advisable. That said, the factory can easily replace one that gets deeply gouged.

Most of what RonR says is correct, and my two Cobalts held up to plenty of abuse without trouble. However, the definite weak point is not the lens, but the stupid little bar on the top meant to serve as an attachment point. It's the only acceptable attachment point on a very heavy unit (whoever thought that cutesie HP hose-mounted clip was a good idea should be sent back to engineering school), and yet it's too wide to be secure and is prone to breakage because it's so thin.

I assume the Cobalt 2 will correct that poor design quibble, but I haven't seen one yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom