Cobalt computer "SELECT BUTTON" not working prooperly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillyCham

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The "SELECT" button on my Cobalt has stopped working, and only after multiple button pushes (like over 10 really hard pushes) will it select the desired screen option, and only does this sometimes. All 3 of the other buttons work just fine. Advice??

I had about the same problem, and had to send mine in for repair. When it came back, there was a really deep dive on it that I didn't do, so I know they pressure tested it before sending it back.

Richard.

take it to the LDS where you purchased it..Probably a very easy fix. It most likely is the magnets in the button need replacement.

You can have your dealer work with Atomic and charge you for shipping it to them, or, you can call Atomic directly and ship it yourself. With DEMA coming up, AA may be busy but they should still be answering the phone. I'd cut out the middleman and handle it by calling for an RMA number and then shipping it myself.

It's likely that the seal around the magnet was not good enough, and the magnet is corroding. Probably what you need is a new keypad- a very easy fix. In some cases I know Atomic has been able to send the keypad directly to the consumer, so long as they know the serial #- they need that to know which keypad to send. If you can be without the Cobalt for a short while you could send it back for a going-over. Which option you prefer might be dependent on where you are located. But it's a good bet the keypad is all you need.

I will PM you with cover removal instructions, you can check to see if you spot corrosion.

Ron

Thanks for this!! The battery for the Select key is corroded. I will look into finding a spare battery.

It's likely that the seal around the magnet was not good enough, and the magnet is corroding. Probably what you need is a new keypad- a very easy fix. In some cases I know Atomic has been able to send the keypad directly to the consumer, so long as they know the serial #- they need that to know which keypad to send. If you can be without the Cobalt for a short while you could send it back for a going-over. Which option you prefer might be dependent on where you are located. But it's a good bet the keypad is all you need.

I will PM you with cover removal instructions, you can check to see if you spot corrosion.

Ron

I had the same problem just before a dive trip, when else would it fail? I realized the buttons activate magnetic signals, so I tried a small magnet beside the case... BINGO!

For best results on the Home button, I found touching the case on the side (perpendicular) worked best. It is very responsive and works fine, otherwise, no amount of pushing or wiggling will activate the button.

I'll contact Atomic for a RMA when I return from the trip.

MacGyver lives!

Farmerkid

Back
Top Bottom