Cold water diving is a PITA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update – Cold-water diving is *still* a PITA

Yesterday we drove for 4 hours, spent $600 on new equipment, $250 for rentals, 10 hours with Hepcat, and had no diving fun. Dinner with Hepcat was fun though!

We tried our new Backplate and Wings. Caution to those who are considering these: you will likely not be able to configure and use these yourself (unless you are very knowledgeable) so you better get a highly experienced mentor to help you – we were *very* lucky to have Brian help us *for such a long period of the day* !! Thank you, Brian!

We spent the first three hours configuring the BP/W – getting the webbing close to right. (As it turns out, the only way you can get it right is in the water). Brian did all of the work. After gearing up in our drysuits, we donned our rigs and went for a dive – or so we thought. After a few minutes in the water, we had to return to the beach to adjust the webbing on Emily’s BP and my weight belt. Round one.

On the second round in the water, we found the real problems. Emily did fine, she almost is ready to use the BP/W but I had tremendous difficulties. My configuration was a 17 lb BP (includes two 5 lb weight plates, one on either side of the BP), a steel HP100 tank, and 10 lbs on the weight belt. This was enough weight to descend fairly easily, but when I got down (20 ft or so) I had a tremendous squeeze and as soon as I put air into my drysuit I began rolling and ascending. I just felt like any air in the DS immediately went to whatever portion of my body was highest (left side, right side, feet, shoulders, etc.) and I could not maintain horizontal face-down position. In addition, my left shoulder strap was loose. It was extremely disconcerting, water got in my mask, I was bobbing up and down, and several times was momentarily panicked.:shocked2: I never got down and “OK”.

With Brian’s instructions, I doffed the weightbelt and the BP/W, and he went down and adjusted it again. (I was never sure why he had to descend to do this). Then it was a bit too tight. Also I had cramps and could not reach my feet / fins to loosen them! That was another painful discomfort.

Although Emily was able to be comfortable in her BP/W, she mentioned later that she was glad she had taken her seasickness meds, because with the viz at about 8 feet, she had to do quite a bit of turning around in “pea soup” to find us – that would be enough to make her sick.

Some comments on the BP/W thing: these are not easy system to use the first time, maybe not even the third time. Now I know why jackets are so popular. First of all, they are very difficult to configure properly. You cannot adjust straps independently – if you adjust the shoulder strap, that will affect the waist strap, and vice versa. And the straps are not easy to move through the openings. Quite frankly, that seems to me a basic design flaw with the BP/W system. Secondly, you cannot loosen a strap once you have it on or to get it on – no loosening or disconnecting the shoulder strap to don or doff the BC & tank. Yes, you can wiggle out of it – but why not make it easier? Not optimal. What about a drift dive where you doff the BC before re-entering the boat? Third, the straps stretch when they get wet – and you cannot tighten them on the fly. Fourth, the straps have no padding. For this 62 y.o. guy, carrying a 60 lbs tank and backplate is do-able – but my gosh, can I have a little help here?

Maybe we will get to where we love them, but we sure have a ways to go, and frankly I do feel that some of the issues are straight-ahead design flaws. :shakehead:

After talking with Hepcat, I think I might know why I was rolling around so much – the steel tank, and maybe the weight plates. I remembered that I had this problem – though not nearly as much --- when I dove a steel tank with drysuit and jacket BC. At least that BC has most of the weight in your front, easier to swim face down. But when I added air to the DS, that portion of my body went “zing” -- and if it was my left side, the air immediately vented.

So we’re not there yet. Still a ways to go. We did enjoy the day, though! It felt good to get out, and even if I did not have a successful dive, Emily did (more important, that). And with no surf, we didn’t fall down! YAY!! :wink: And we *really* enjoyed our dinner with Brian – it got us all re-excited about diving, after our stressful day. Yes, we want to try it again. Thanks, Brian!!!

What kind of BP/W did you get? I'm looking at them now and saw that Halcyon has a "quick cinch" adjustment that allows to adjust the shoulders and belt all at the same time and on the fly. Only downside about the Halcyon BP/W is the $$.

I am surprised you had so much difficulty, I have never found the adjustment on a BP/W that critical and I have never needed to adjust one underwater but maybe that is just me. I tend to wear mine quite loose so I can chicken wing out of it to take it off in the water to get back into my inflatable boat because when it was snug it was difficult to remove without assistance.

I've always made fine tune adjustments to my Bp/W topside. Usually after a dive, in the tailgate of my truck, when I can stay chilled for a good 30mins to an hour (depending on how many times I go to dunk myself back into the ocean). If it fits well when you have gravity pulling down on it, and you can take it off easily as well, it will do well in the water.

I personally like the standard triglide adjustments. DSS rubber holders on their plates are great in the sense you don't have to work with lots of feeding and tightening, but it's a huge PITA to make micro adjustments, because you just have to forcefully feel through the rubbers. Triglides with mildly pliable webbing does better. YMMV.

It's a shame you're having such a hard time with this. I admire your perseverance. Keep at it & it will all get easier.

What kind of BP/W did you get? I'm looking at them now and saw that Halcyon has a "quick cinch" adjustment that allows to adjust the shoulders and belt all at the same time and on the fly. Only downside about the Halcyon BP/W is the $$.

Another downside would be complexity. Keep it simple.

Chuck

All I can say is kudos to Brian! You are very lucky to have someone spend the day helping you with new equipment and trying to help you have a good dive experience.
I hope you eventually have some fun diving our wonderful California. I enjoy diving in Hawaii, but I think that the diving in California is awesome. It is very different, but the rewards of diving in our cold waters are definitely worth it for me. I am 10 years your junior. I didn't get certified until I was 48. I really love our kelp and the abundance of invertebrates compared with Hawaii.
I wish you luck with your new gear and learning to dive dry.

If you decide to try again, I'd encourage you to do a boat dive. I dive Monterey pretty frequently and find myself less and less drawn to shore diving, for many of the reasons you mention - the long haul wearing gear, surf entry and exit, lack of in-water support, etc. Also, Monterey diving is far more hit and miss than a lot of warm-water locations. But it can be truly amazing on the right day.

Another thought - try Channel Islands. My wife did a few cold water dives and was ready to hang it up until we did a three-tank charter out of Ventura. This was one year in August if I remember right, so even though we we in drysuits, the water was cold but not very cold - like 60-65 degrees. She ended up diving all 3 tanks that day and when we came back she was hooked enough to Monterey a couple of times per year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom