Cold water diving is a PITA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you decide to try again, I'd encourage you to do a boat dive.

I don't think I can do that until I get my buoyancy straightened out.

Another thought - try Channel Islands.

We have dived Catalina Island and loved it. It was just warm enough that it was fine for us.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 03:50 PM ----------

Stop all motion and just hang in the water column (in trim).

I roll over to one side.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 03:52 PM ----------

sounds like you could use some pool time!

I think so, too. Any suggestions for where we can rent drysuits and a pool? I'll call Bamboo Reef-SF in the AM. And I still think we would need a mentor for it.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 03:53 PM ----------

What kind of BP/W did you get? I'm looking at them now and saw that Halcyon has a "quick cinch" adjustment that allows to adjust the shoulders and belt all at the same time and on the fly. Only downside about the Halcyon BP/W is the $$.

We got ours from DSS because I wanted one with a long plate (I am 6' 6")

...//... I roll over to one side. ...//...

What a surprise! :D

We all do. That is, until the rig is: properly adjusted, we can manage the bubble in the drysuit, and one comes to terms with one's wing. Practice. Nothing more.

The first part in solving a problem is to identify the problem. The fact that you see a problem rather than just compensating for it with constant motion is key. Perserverance.

Oh, and by the way, YES it is worth the trouble. This is why I keep harping on the absolute lack of any serious trim and buoyancy instruction. For some, like me, It takes forever to get it right by futzing around yourself. Instructors just don't have the class time for the outliers. Look at who is having the most trouble with this sort of thing, the very small and the very large...

teckes look cool

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 06:09 PM ----------

rossi pool is set up for scuba on monday nights 600 argelo st call Rex at sf rec dept. its your taxes

You are i good hands, cudos to Brian. my 2 cents.
1. When diving BP your body is not relaxed, as usually the case i jacket bc, you need to keep form. keep your butt tight. and try to stretch your body as long and wide as possible.
2. Most new bp users are severely overweight, thus over inflating wing and loosing any little stability you had. for reference i dive double 120s on AL plate, 4lb tail and 12lb let on y belt single 120 with 6lb in plate and 16lb belt. I also 6.2 and displace 250lb :)
2a. Placement of the weight is also important but o single tank it should not worry you much yet.
3. The only way to work on #2 is to do about 100 dives a year and you be fine :) your body will find its position if you know what that position should be. Invest in gopro.
4. Most of straps and other perceived problems is just a luck of technique, i know many divers in their 70s who can get in and out without prob.

in my opinion weekly training and proper equipment is only way you can have fun diving experience in our waters..

Why? Is the wing so much better than the jacket?

Yes, when you want to stay down longer. Sidemount or backmount will give you a bigger gas supply than a jacket can manage. You can customize the rig for your intended purposes.

Yes, when you really get into into it. Small doubles ride somewhat better than a single big tank. Heavy backplate for small doubles, light backplate for the monsters.

NO, if you just want to knock off an easy recreational dive on rental gear.

NO, if you are happy with what a jacket offers. I have both, a jacket and (three) backplates.

NO, if you are a true wetsuit minimalist. See "freedom plate" and similar renegades...

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 11:53 PM ----------

See also: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...nsidering-small-doubles-~50s.html#post6636416

Well, 27 pounds doesn't sound like an unreasonable amount of weight to carry in Monterey, so I don't think you were overweighted.

Air you put in a dry suit will ALWAYS go to the highest point of the suit, which is why posture in the water is important when dry suit diving. If you are having a lot of problems with dynamic instability, it might help to get some feedback as to what your posture is. You can also minimize dynamic instability by using your wing as your primary buoyancy, and only inflating the dry suit the minimum amount you need to to stop being uncomfortable with the squeeze. You won't stay as warm that way, but it will make the bubble management easier.

Adjustment of a harness is not that critical, honestly; you can cope with straps that are too long, if your crotch strap is tight enough. Straps that are too tight just make the rig hard to get off (and sometimes to get into) but don't have that much effect in the water, as long as they aren't ridiculously short. However, straps that are UNEVEN are a problem, because then the plate and tank will sit off-center in your back, and that WILL tend to increase your tendency to roll.

I wish you guys could come up to Seattle for a weekend -- I'd love to help you sort through these issues, because they are ALL fixable. But it sounds like Brian is doing a great job.

A couple of tricks will help too. Per our discussion loosen the shoulder straps and tighten the crotch strap. It should slightly pull the waist harness down in a V. That will make the shoulder straps tighter. Make sure when you go to take your kit off your wing is deflated. That makes a HUGE difference. If on the surface deflate it a little, but not so much that it will sink. As you know I doff my kit in the water often since I can't get back into my Zodiac with it on. I have tag lines set up to do so. I clip it off and find I can easily pull it right off. Why so easily? I grab my flashlight that is clipped off to my left chest d-ring, and grab onto my reg that is clipped off to my right chest d-ring. A little wiggling and some gentle pulling out and I am freeeeee. Keith who you met prefers to put his kit on in the water vs in the boat. As Keith told you he dives a BP/W and long hose setup, which is pretty much what most folks I dive with use. In fact most of our dive club dives BP/W with bungee backups, and more and more are switching to long hoses.

Other tricks which I might not have mentioned are simple ones like putting your drysuit inflator hose through the arm hose and clip it into place before your BP/W. There are many little tricks that make everything go smoother and easier. These you will pick up with a little more time. You are very close to finding your routine, and having your own regs, BC's and the like will help.

I have my weight belt setup so it carries all the weight in the front. If I roll far over yeah I will fall over, but if I roll just a little it is very easy to roll back onto my stomach into trim. Remember you felt my heavy BP/W, and you know I dive an HP130 for single tank diving. Point being I carry more weight up high than you and have found a way to control it. Where were your weights located on your weight belt? Soft or hard weights? Did you get a weight belt setup of your own yet? If so what is it?

Some notes, because I saw some people asking/commenting. :)

We spent the first three hours configuring the BP/W – getting the webbing close to right. (As it turns out, the only way you can get it right is in the water). Brian did all of the work. After gearing up in our drysuits, we donned our rigs and went for a dive – or so we thought. After a few minutes in the water, we had to return to the beach to adjust the webbing on Emily’s BP and my weight belt. Round one

You can absolutely get it right on land, but you DO need at least the undergarment and sometimes the drysuit to do so (which we had). We had two issues here:

1. Emily's rental drysuit and undergarment were more than a bit too long for her, which made it a bit difficult to see the crotch strap adjustment on land without getting way more personal than I was interested in getting. :) Her crotch strap was farther off than yours was.
  2. The weight belt issues (which were a theme for the day) will largely go away once you get the triglides on there to hold the weights in place. You'll never forget those again. :D

Lesson learned on my part - you can either rely on somebody else's definition of "snug, but not too tight" with respect to the crotch area, or you can get it right the first time. :)

On the second round in the water, we found the real problems. Emily did fine, she almost is ready to use the BP/W but I had tremendous difficulties. My configuration was a 17 lb BP (includes two 5 lb weight plates, one on either side of the BP), a steel HP100 tank, and 10 lbs on the weight belt. This was enough weight to descend fairly easily, but when I got down (20 ft or so) I had a tremendous squeeze and as soon as I put air into my drysuit I began rolling and ascending. I just felt like any air in the DS immediately went to whatever portion of my body was highest (left side, right side, feet, shoulders, etc.) and I could not maintain horizontal face-down position. In addition, my left shoulder strap was loose. It was extremely disconcerting, water got in my mask, I was bobbing up and down, and several times was momentarily panicked.:shocked2: I never got down and “OK”.

That's exactly what air in a drysuit will do. It was more difficult to deal with because of the looseness in the crotch strap and the shifting weight, but part of getting comfortable with the drysuit is learning to control that bubble, in no small part through your posture in the water. You may also still be a few pounds light, but we'll need to finish a dive and do a proper weight check to be sure.

With Brian’s instructions, I doffed the weightbelt and the BP/W, and he went down and adjusted it again. (I was never sure why he had to descend to do this). Then it was a bit too tight.

I had to take it to the bottom because with the wing inflated it was next to impossible to do anything on the back-side of the plate. Since your BC was quite negatively buoyant, it was way easier to take it to the bottom, fully deflate, and adjust it there. FYI, both your shoulder straps were the same looseness (and we can loosen them a bit from where they ended up). The necessary adjustment was to tighten the crotch strap down more, but I couldn't manage to adjust that with gloves on. The rubber inserts in the plate slots, which are both a blessing and a curse, DID allow me to adjust the shoulder straps, so I did that to try and get things at least somewhat under control that dive. It didn't help the tank riding up a bit, but your main issue was rolling side to side, and it DID help a bit with that.

Some comments on the BP/W thing: these are not easy system to use the first time, maybe not even the third time. Now I know why jackets are so popular. First of all, they are very difficult to configure properly. You cannot adjust straps independently – if you adjust the shoulder strap, that will affect the waist strap, and vice versa. And the straps are not easy to move through the openings. Quite frankly, that seems to me a basic design flaw with the BP/W system. Secondly, you cannot loosen a strap once you have it on or to get it on – no loosening or disconnecting the shoulder strap to don or doff the BC & tank. Yes, you can wiggle out of it – but why not make it easier? Not optimal. What about a drift dive where you doff the BC before re-entering the boat? Third, the straps stretch when they get wet – and you cannot tighten them on the fly. Fourth, the straps have no padding. For this 62 y.o. guy, carrying a 60 lbs tank and backplate is do-able – but my gosh, can I have a little help here?

When the crotch strap is adjusted properly, the shoulder straps can be looser than we ended up with your BC after the in-water "emergency adjustment". While it can take a bit of getting used to, you ultimately shouldn't find it very difficult to get in/out of. The webbing does stretch a bit when wet, but that tends to be an issue the first time only (if at all), and is really only terribly relevant to the cam bands if you don't/can't get them REALLY tight initially.

The inability to make adjustments "on the fly" while wearing the harness with tanks/weight in place is a double-edged sword. I understand the thought that it's a flaw, but the flipside is that it also cannot move or become unclipped on its own, and once adjusted properly, it STAYS adjusted properly - even between dive days.

After talking with Hepcat, I think I might know why I was rolling around so much – the steel tank, and maybe the weight plates. I remembered that I had this problem – though not nearly as much --- when I dove a steel tank with drysuit and jacket BC. At least that BC has most of the weight in your front, easier to swim face down. But when I added air to the DS, that portion of my body went “zing” -- and if it was my left side, the air immediately vented.

I think the remaining issues are ultimately going to be solved by three things:

1. Tightening the crotch strap more to lock down the harness properly
  2. Getting triglides on the weight belt, so that your weight is not able to shift so easily
  3. Getting more comfortable with controlling your posture underwater

It's definitely true that having more weight on your back (e.g. a steel tank) can make it easier to "turtle" on your back, especially once you've already started rolling to the side. The weight plates are really not at fault though, and neither is the steel tank. It's the fact that weight was shifting around, due to weights that could slide and the loose crotch strap, which exacerbated any rotation or movement you made with your body.

We did enjoy the day, though! It felt good to get out, and even if I did not have a successful dive, Emily did (more important, that). And with no surf, we didn’t fall down! YAY!! :wink: And we *really* enjoyed our dinner with Brian – it got us all re-excited about diving, after our stressful day. Yes, we want to try it again. Thanks, Brian!!!

This is the most important part, I'd like to think. One more day of diving with a tightened crotch strap, properly secured weights (and maybe a few relocated weights), and we'll get you both squared away. :)

...//...This is the most important part, I'd like to think. One more day of diving with a tightened crotch strap, properly secured weights (and maybe a few relocated weights), and we'll get you both squared away. :)

LOL. So maybe you GUE's will be the first to attend to "JOB ONE" (trim and buoyancy) as opposed to the ego bashing that we "outliers" can't avoid... DUDE, it should be a course, not a curse...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom