ColdWater Reg Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guppie

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I dive in Michigan but will also take it to Hawaii. Not sure if that affects anything.

I need a reg that I can trust down to 130' in cold water. Looks like I"m diving in November, December and January for my AOW.

My LDS is scubapro, DiveRite dealer and says the Mk16/S600 is the way to go. He used that down to 300 feet and had no issue. He hasn't taken the MK25 down that far yet so he can't confirm its ability to handle that temp yet.

I did a search on this board and never really got my question answered. What Regs should I be considering?

If you have to, go with the ScubaPro. You won't have any complaints. But if you can go with a Genesis or Sherwood for the cold water and warm water diving you do.

...or just the Aqualung Legend Supreme...

Both are made for cold-water diving. The LX Supreme breathes great and is dry in any position. I love mine.

Since you LDS sells Scuba Pro he's going to push you in that direction. There's nothing wrong with Scuba pro regs, however, IMO Apeks would be the better choice if your primarily diving in cold water. I've had my ATX 200 down below 130', it breathes great and have experienced zero problems. Theres debate over which is better piston or diaphram 1st stages, most divers I know prefer diaphram for cold water.

I only dive with Atomics, so I'm only reporting on what people say in Scubaboard.

Looks like most people like Apeks regulators for cold water. That said, I'm sure the Scubapro diaphragm reg(MK16) will do just as well.

As for the MK25, I read numerous reports of Great Lake divers having freeflow problems with the piston (MK25) at depth when the temperature dropped below 40F.

All regs stated in previous posts are great regs for cold water diving BUT IMHO Poseidon Jetstream is the way to go. If you can't get your hands on a Jetstream then Poseidon's XStream Deep 90or XStream Recreational would be my choice. Anyway goodluck with your new purchase !:)

I do a lot of diving in Lake Tahoe in the winter. It's often snowing and below freezing on the surface.

I chose Apeks TX50's. They're environmentally sealed and excellent in cold water. I own 6 of them and regularly do dives to 200' with them.

My buddy chose the Zeagle Tech 50 regs. He's had good luck with them as well. They are a very similar design (though not identical).

All the regs discussed are decent quality regs and will serve you well.

I would go with apeks regs. They get some of the highest reviews and i dont even think they make piston regs. It would be hard to freeze an apeks. Now if your LDS sells scubapro, they arnt too bad in cold water eather. A Mk16 with a G250HP would be a nice combo and only 420$. Of corse on leisurepro.....
You get the idea. Why dont you just try them out and see which one you like the best.
Tekkie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom