ColdWater Reg Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sodwanabaykev once bubbled...
All regs stated in previous posts are great regs for cold water diving BUT IMHO Poseidon Jetstream is the way to go. If you can't get your hands on a Jetstream then Poseidon's XStream Deep 90or XStream Recreational would be my choice. Anyway goodluck with your new purchase !:)

Yeah, I should have posted Poseidon's regs. Nothing comes close to comparing to them.

Thanks everybody for your input you've definitly influenced my decisions. To many negative things about Mk25 but Mk16 looks good. Leaning towards Apex group and researching Posieden (sp) since I never even considered those. Goofy looking things.

Anyways, if I buy Apex, do I have to have them serviced at an Apex dealer or will any good LDS do that. I don't think I have an Apex dealer around yet I do have a SP dealer. I'll search harder, but if it doesn't matter than that helps.

Any shop that handles US Divers gear should be able to fix you up with an Apeks reg.

Theres debate over which is better piston or diaphram 1st stages, most divers I know prefer diaphram for cold water.
When it comes to cold water, there really isn't any debate, the diaphragm wins out over the piston.

Any reg you get needs to have an environmentally sealed or "otherwise" freeze protected.

Poseidons are well respected for their freeze proof construction, (made in Sweden) as well as their ability to provide all the air you'll want at depth.

It has the same sealed design as the Apeks, but with a far better second stage, and pretty much the lowest breathing effort of any reg.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

In testing top end regs, the variation between individual regs is often greater than between models. So take comparisons in context- it's like comparing a car that goes 157 mph with one that tops out at "only" 154 mph. You won't notice the difference.
Environmentally sealed diaphragm regs are universaly regarded as better for cold water. The reason is that water is mechnically excluded from entry into the 1st stage mechanism. interiors of 1st stages can get to -70°F. While many cold water dives are done with SP pistons and others, it's hard to ensure that water won't get to and freeze around the piston.
Among the high performance regs for cold water:
Poseidons are excellent cold water regs, but not everyone likes their feel, and the parts and maintenance are a major expense.
Apeks regs are sealed out of the box, and do well in cold water.
Zeagle has a design that combines some of the best aspepcts of the Poseidon 1st stage with a more conventional 2nd stage. The environmental cap on Zeagle's is plastic, which prevents the diaphragm end from being sealed by ice in REALLY extreme conditions. See photo (if this works). It's hard to go wrong with any of these.

RonR

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
What makes the aqualung second stage so much better than the Apeks?
Less bubble interference, less wet when inverted and it breathes even easier than the Apeks.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

MercutioATC once bubbled...
...or just the Aqualung Legend Supreme...

Both are made for cold-water diving. The LX Supreme breathes great and is dry in any position. I love mine.

I think there are a few positions you have yet to be in...I can show you how to make it breath wet...

Besides that it's a great reg. Anyone know if there is a DIN kit for these?

Guppie once bubbled...
I dive in Michigan but will also take it to Hawaii. Not sure if that affects anything.

Spent the 1st 18 years of life in Kalamazoo, MI, the next 10 years in Ann Arbor, and now I'm in Nashville.

I don't know where you are in West Michigan, but if you're in SW Mich, the best dive shop I've found in the area is Sub-Aquatic Sports and Service (SASS), run by Rick Sass. Awesome facility with fantastic staff, education, and trips. Their website is www.sassdive.com . I just called them, and they carry Scubapro, Aqualung, Apeks, and Atomic regulators. They teach everything from ice diving to ocean full face mask diving & technical courses. I'd highly recommend checking them out if you're not too far from Battle Creek.

And by the way, I have absolutely no affiliation with the store (and never have) except for being a happy customer.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom