Compensation for Scuba Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the shop I last worked, the discounts on gear came directly from the manufacturers, NOT from the shop itself. There was a section in the front of each catalog that explained the program offered to dive pros by the manufacturer. We were able to order gear directly from the manufacturer, pay them directly, and it was delivered to the shop (with my name on the package.) It was a win-win-win: we got large discounts, the manufacturer got the best advertising (it was amazing how many of my students would buy the same reg I used...) and the shop sold the gear to students.

But when I would travel I would talk to other instructors about the manufacturer discounts, and many of them had no idea it existed. Seems like some shop owners would rather sell gear to their instructors instead of allowing them to benefit from the manufacturers' discount programs.

I was also paid per student, in US dollars, by the shop for teaching classes.
That is usually known as "Keyman" pricing, and not every manufacturer handles it the same way. In general, they do have various policies to limit just how much they are willing to sell at that price. So do expect a shop to also have limits and provide the opportunity to their "key" staff but not to every DM that helps in the pool once or twice a year.

The course is a full semester long, so we do two full open water courses per year (16 weeks each). My insurance is $370 through DAN. Pro fees are $125 a year. Total is $495 per year just to stay active. I make about $550 over two semesters. To be honest, I don't think I would do it if I didn't at least break even. It's only a side gig, but I don't want to work for free (or pay to work!).
Sounds like slave labor, would not bother to do this. I can do a private class for 4 participants over 3 days without ow tracing dives and earn $640. Do the training dives gets another $320. I teach private classes thru a LDS
The course is a full semester long, so we do two full open water courses per year (16 weeks each). My insurance is $370 through DAN. Pro fees are $125 a year. Total is $495 per year just to stay active. I make about $550 over two semesters. To be honest, I don't think I would do it if I didn't at least break even. It's only a side gig, but I don't want to work for free (or pay to work!).
Slave labor for sure. Would not do it. This is what is wrong with this industry, instructors willing to work for next to nothing. As an example at LDS I teach out of for a private class of 4 I get paid $640. That is done over 3 days, each “day “ is about 3 hours long. So total of 9 hours. Rest of day in store working sales, answer phone emails etc. That’s for academics and pool only, OW training dives adds another $320. I get a private class every week, at times 2 or more private schedules a week. This does not count the tips which at times is considerable.

Slave labor for sure. Would not do it. This is what is wrong with this industry, instructors willing to work for next to nothing. As an example at LDS I teach out of for a private class of 4 I get paid $640. That is done over 3 days, each “day “ is about 3 hours long. So total of 9 hours. Rest of day in store working sales, answer phone emails etc. That’s for academics and pool only, OW training dives adds another $320. I get a private class every week, at times 2 or more private schedules a week. This does not count the tips which at times is considerable.

That's not a bad gig at all!

Most shops by me pay per hour. Most instructors do more than just teaching.

Those that get paid per student what’s the rates. I’m curious to compare with my local shops. It’s not necessary to name the work place though.

I believe the last time I looked instructors here made $75 CAD per student (that's about $56 U.S.). That was 5 years ago, may have increased.

Approximately what I’v seen per student:
  • 80$-100$cad for Completed OW
  • 50$cad AOW

Wouldn't it depend on individual circumstances? I might get flamed for this but. I'm not an instructor but I might decide to become one or I might not.

Ok to put things into perspective a little bit. I did my undergrad degree while on active duty so the Navy paid for most of it with me paying the little bit left out of pocket. After discharge I went to law school using state benefits and GI bill for a full ride including room and board. A lot of people I went to law school with between undergrad and law school are paying 2000 dollars a month for student loans average starting salary for an attorney is 50k a year. Those that work for the state start at 35k a year. After taxes this really isn't much to live on especially if also paying those student loans, private practice also have to carry malpractice insurance and other overhead expenses.

Is diving a expensive hobby to start, yes very much so. To reach instructor level is it a lot of money in training and equipment, yes. Is it the same as a college education with interest on the loans probably not.

Can I think of situations where it might be worthwhile for someone to teach in exchange for gear, yes. Picture a shop saying I will pay the equivalent of X dollars a hour in the form of store credit, instructor for whatever reason saying I need gear to pursue my own personal development in diving as long as the credit is fair for my work. It is like people who work on large transport ships part of the salary is room and board etc. If it doesn't work for the individual or if the offer is not enough compensation then you can always say no and work independent or work for another shop. Like everything else it depends on that persons wants and needs.

For example for rec diving I don't need any gear I'm starting tec soon and will need gear for it, if I start doing a lot of trimix those fills are very expensive, if a shop offered me a part time job to work there in exchange for a fair compensation for the tec gear and trimix fills I would consider it.

Wouldn't it depend on individual circumstances? I might get flamed for this but. I'm not an instructor but I might decide to become one or I might not.

Ok to put things into perspective a little bit. I did my undergrad degree while on active duty so the Navy paid for most of it with me paying the little bit left out of pocket. After discharge I went to law school using state benefits and GI bill for a full ride including room and board. A lot of people I went to law school with between undergrad and law school are paying 2000 dollars a month for student loans average starting salary for an attorney is 50k a year. Those that work for the state start at 35k a year. After taxes this really isn't much to live on especially if also paying those student loans, private practice also have to carry malpractice insurance and other overhead expenses.

Is diving a expensive hobby to start, yes very much so. To reach instructor level is it a lot of money in training and equipment, yes. Is it the same as a college education with interest on the loans probably not.

Can I think of situations where it might be worthwhile for someone to teach in exchange for gear, yes. Picture a shop saying I will pay the equivalent of X dollars a hour in the form of store credit, instructor for whatever reason saying I need gear to pursue my own personal development in diving as long as the credit is fair for my work. It is like people who work on large transport ships part of the salary is room and board etc. If it doesn't work for the individual or if the offer is not enough compensation then you can always say no and work independent or work for another shop. Like everything else it depends on that persons wants and needs.

For example for rec diving I don't need any gear I'm starting tec soon and will need gear for it, if I start doing a lot of trimix those fills are very expensive, if a shop offered me a part time job to work there in exchange for a fair compensation for the tec gear and trimix fills I would consider it.
I would think that getting paid in store credit (or other perks, etc.) is not comparable to getting free room & board. As far as basic living expenses, after room & board what's left-- Cable TV & gas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom