Conservation and harvesting sea cucumbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe not widely known but the Chinese practically own Fiji, they are a massive investors and in the top 5 for tourists visiting it. While they may or may not as a population care or not care about environmental issues they are starting to, the problem really is the numbers when it comes to China, if a market develops for something in China that market can wreak havoc environmentally because of the scale of it due to the population, a tiny penetration to their market of only 2-3 percent can be like a giant vacuum cleaner sucking up a species.

I'm more concerned about the 'poor' sea life being exterminated than I am about the 'poor' 3rd world 'divers' getting bent/killed. They are doing evil things on behalf of today's Evil Empire (Communist China) and deserve any bad karma they receive. Helping such 'divers' is akin to supplying Hitler with Zyklon B!

Lol. Americans kill 80 billion land and sea animals every year. Thats the stat from 2008. It is more today.
USDA's official number of animals killed for food

21,000 animals killed by every american in their lifetime. Sorry but you dont need a steak to survive. Those Fijans need seafood to survive. Pull your head out of you know where and think before you post. Our biggest problem here is deciding where our next scuba vacation will be. Their biggest problem is finding a single fish in the ocean once a day to feed a family of 6.

I'm more concerned about the 'poor' sea life being exterminated than I am about the 'poor' 3rd world 'divers' getting bent/killed. They are doing evil things on behalf of today's Evil Empire (Communist China) and deserve any bad karma they receive. Helping such 'divers' is akin to supplying Hitler with Zyklon B!

I wonder if you would have the same attitude if you were one of those really poor (not poor in US standards) 3rd world divers whose family's survival depended on your ability to catch and bring home or sell sea life? I suspect you would be doing what really poor people do every day of their lives--anything they have to do to survive and feed their families. So please, spare us the over-the-top Hitler analogy, as it is totally inappropriate.

Lol. Americans kill 80 billion land and sea animals every year. Thats the stat from 2008. It is more today.
USDA's official number of animals killed for food

21,000 animals killed by every american in their lifetime. Sorry but you dont need a steak to survive.
Let's relax a bit, cows are in no danger of being extinct or even under pressure as a species, raising animals for food is no different than raising wheat for bread.

Let's relax a bit, cows are in no danger of being extinct or even under pressure as a species, raising animals for food is no different than raising wheat for bread.

Would you hold the same argument if the animals were dogs?

Plus that figure includes sealife which, as we know, has shown a reduction across the board of close to 80% in the last 20 years. Sustainability should not be the determining factor in our consumption rate. We tend to act only when its too late. And unfortunately, us first world countries are the worst offenders when it comes to this unnecessary consumption. Dont get me started on coral bleaching lol.

Last edited:
Would you hold the same argument if the animals were dogs
15669396-4BC4-44CD-9050-3E78F6C1024E.jpeg
?
I am high in furry fiber!

Back
Top Bottom