Conservation and harvesting sea cucumbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's hard when you don't understand people's individual situations. Even in remote parts of some very highly developed nations, access to a variety of food options can be difficult. I try not to judge anyone's choices unless I know their circumstances.

This thread is talking about two different things. 1 is the wiping out of a species or habitat. 2 is eating a particular animal. Species if wiped out are gone. Forever. Controlled harvesting of a species in a way that respects some of the habitat does not wipe out a species.

This thread should go back to discussion of dive safety in Fiji to be honest. Can we leave the conservation debate for another thread?

I know it's not politically correct to defend animals over 'poor people' , but here's another story hot off the press:

Mexican Organized Crime Groups Are Now Stealing Octopuses BY THE TON!

Mexican Organized Crime Groups Are Now Stealing Octopuses

Yet another totally shocking and depressing trend:

Mexican Organized Crime Groups Are Now Stealing Octopuses

I'm completely blown away at the insane quantities of Octopi being harvested/exterminated....beyond shocking and I had no earthly idea !

...but, oh yeah, I forgot, people come first, my mistake!

Last edited:
Lol. Americans kill 80 billion land and sea animals every year. Thats the stat from 2008. It is more today.
USDA's official number of animals killed for food

21,000 animals killed by every american in their lifetime. Sorry but you dont need a steak to survive. Those Fijans need seafood to survive. Pull your head out of you know where and think before you post. Our biggest problem here is deciding where our next scuba vacation will be. Their biggest problem is finding a single fish in the ocean once a day to feed a family of 6.

Actually they need adult supervision as once they've foolishly wiped out all their sea life, they will have neither food OR tourism income, and become wards of the state, and will come to the USA as immigrants/refugees, seeking $ handouts or look to the UN for the same, and the USA is the biggest single $ contributor to anything UN related.

This thread should go back to discussion of dive safety in Fiji to be honest. Can we leave the conservation debate for another thread?
I think that the safety issues in Fiji UBA are inseparable from the conservation issues as the loss of animal populations directly leads to more desperate and reckless searches for remaining catch at deeper dives. Sorry to be a downer, but we saw similar to this in eastern USA with collapse of Cod fish stock and longer boat trips trying to find fewer fish.

Would you hold the same argument if the animals were dogs?

Steaks come from cows not dogs, what do dogs have to do with what I said?

Sustainability should not be the determining factor in our consumption rate.

Huh? I have no idea what you mean by that. Sustainability is exactly determined by the consumption rate.

Everything edible is on this planet for only one reason - for human beings to eat it if we want to. That's the payoff of being at the top of the food chain in an eco-system. Anything we don't eat we either keep around because something we do eat, eats it or it's cute to look at.

Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom