Cost of pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First post-cert dives were with a couple of divers who apparently had gotten tired of octos not staying in the holders, so they folded octo hose into a U-shape and stuck that through the right hip D ring on their harness. I tried that then (worked well), but keep forgetting about it.

Did you try to pull it out to breathe from it as if you were in an OOA situation? Not easy or practical in that scenario actually when the person OOA is on the verge of panic and death.

Dove my pony for the first time in the pool today. Lower bungee is a bit long and needs to be shortened. Put it on about 15 minutes into 90 minute pool session, and I kept it on for the entire time. Clipped it on in the water with buddy's help. Didn't feel lopsided at all or have to adjust my weighting. It's just a matter of fine-tuning buoyancy, which I'm working on anyway. I barely felt it was there.

View media item 202098

Marie, if I may I have some suggestions... IIRC, you're not doing any penetration overhead diving, right? I would really consider the streamlined open water setup. You mentioned you bought a necklace for your octo but doing that the way you currently have your rig configured could lead to some confusion. When you necklace your octo you donate your primary second stage. If you use that yellow hose on your necklaced octo then you're creating confusion to an OOG diver. Nothing wrong with a yellow hose, but it then should be on your primary second stage. Notice in the picture below that the primary has the yellow reg cover.

I also noticed in your picture your hoses are looking like... well... an octopus. If you see the pic below you'll notice how everything is nice and tight. In this setup your octo would be on a short ~22" hose either over or under your right shoulder and then your primary would be under your right shoulder on a 40" hose. For open water gas sharing 40" is more than adequate especially if your slinging that pony which you could simply hand off to the OOG diver. You'll also notice in this picture that the SPG is on a lowered left shoulder D ring. I can't really tell where yours is clipped to. It looks like that is where you have it. But, just for the sake of the conversation I will point out a simple glance down and you can see your back gas SPG. Putting it there eliminates a little difficulty when trying to unclip it from your left waist D ring because you can inadvertently unclip your pony. Again, looks like you've got that rigged up right other than the pony hanging low.

I think you would find this setup to be very nice. I've tried a number of configurations and really like it this way. Not to mention, if you start diving doubles you will basically be in a very similar setup except you would replace the 40" primary hose with a 7' hose.

As for the pony. I agree that the hose looks too short. I would go with a minimum 40" hose. We were doing pool sessions today with doubles and slung 40's and I'll have to snap a picture of how ours are rigged. Basically, they are setup to protect both the first and second stage from contact with the environment. We make a little rubber band that goes from the tank neck and the second stage exhaust. It works very well to keep everything nice and secure and the reg pops right out when you need to deploy it. I'll remember to get a picture for you tomorrow if you are interested.

Anyway, just a couple observations. Hope it helps. And BTW, get that hair our of your mask skirt. :D

dr_aowregkit_scubamagemailwriteup_002.jpg

My SPG is on my left shoulder D ring. I never could see it easily elsewhere.

Yes, please get me a picture of the setup you mentioned.

Thanks for the hose suggestions. I'll take a look at that more this week.

Hi Marie. I would be cautious of making too many changes too quickly but the streamline setup that CuzzA recommended is the way I rig too. My primary is on a yellow 40" hose routed under my arm with a swivel (others use an elbow) and a bolt snap to clip off when not in use. The secondary is on a black 22 inch over my shoulder connected to a bungee necklace. To donate, the OOG diver is given the primary that I am using and then I take my bungeed backup. There are a lot of threads on Scubaboard if you are interested. I route my SPG over my left shoulder rather then under the arm though.

Here is an older selfie. I have since switched the purge covers so that the yellow is on the primary.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hi Marie. I would be cautious of making too many changes too quickly but the streamline setup that CuzzA recommended is the way I rig too. My primary is on a yellow 40" hose routed under my arm with a swivel (others use an elbow) and a bolt snap to clip off when not in use. The secondary is on a black 22 inch over my shoulder connected to a bungee necklace. To donate, the OOG diver is given the primary that I am using and then I take my bungeed backup. There are a lot of threads on Scubaboard if you are interested. I route my SPG over my left shoulder rather then under the arm though.

Here is an older selfie. I have since switched the purge covers so that the yellow is on the primary.
I also clip the SPG on the upper left d ring. But I am curious why you route the hose over the shoulder.

I also clip the SPG on the upper left d ring. But I am curious why you route the hose over the shoulder.
It gives me less interference with the slung pony. To be honest, I don't always clip it but just let it ride at my chest. The hose has a natural curve and stiffness that tends to hold it right where I can easily see it. I don't necessarily recommend it though since it may not work this way for everyone

Thanks, I will watch for that. I picked up an AL40 pony at the end of the season and have yet to dive with it.

And of course I don't leave it unclipped if diving with any chance for entanglements.

I never liked the SPG on the chest d-ring. I keep mine on the left hip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom