Cozumel in July 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw that. Was planning to ask you what they're like. Small fast or big cattle boats. What are the odds on getting to Punta Sur, Columbia or Maracaibo if requested? Whoever we end up with, I'm hoping to get at least a couple of those dives in. We just did two days of 2 tanks in the Keys last month and our first day we ended up with lame really shallow dives because the place booked us with a bunch of snorkelers. We switched to a different shop for day 2 after that. I've been diving with the same shop in CZM for a really long time, but their prices have grown while some others haven't and now I'm looking at potentially $325 more for three divers to dive five 2 tanks with them. I've seen more than a few shops that offer discounts for 4 or more divers to make it a little closer, but there are only 3 divers in our group. Was thinking about Dive with Martin. They have competetive rates and I've heard good things about them.

Of course if any other dive ops on here want to offer a package deal for three of us to do 5 days I'll give it serious thought. :D

My first time to Coz was last August when I went with the dive shop I got my cert's with. They use Chucho for all their trips to Coz. They used a boat that has mostly covered seating with a dive platform on it, with a crew of three or four not including Christi and Jesus. Jesus (Chucho) grew up in Coz and knows it inside out! We did both Columbia Shallows & Columbia Deep, Santa Rosa Wall, San Francisco Wall and numerous other sites! We got to dive our computer limits and went wherever the group agreed upon! Also they will pick you up at whatever dock is closest to you. I'm the dodo waiving in the photo:D

IMG_0064.jpg

Last edited:
My first time to Coz was last August when I went with the dive shop I got my cert's with. They use Chucho for all their trips to Coz. They used a boat that has mostly covered seating with a dive platform on it, with a crew of three or four not including Christi and Jesus. Jesus (Chucho) grew up in Coz and knows it inside out! We did both Columbia Shallows & Columbia Deep, Santa Rosa Wall, San Francisco Wall and numerous other sites! We got to dive our computer limits and went wherever the group agreed upon! Also they will pick you up at whatever dock is closest to you. I'm the dodo waiving in the photo:D

I took the time to read up on their site. They seem pretty nice and the prices are great! Where are they located? I see they list Maracaibo and Punta Sur. I'd really like to dive the Devil's Throat again. I haven't been there since 2005 before Wilma. Do you know if they do that dive?

Devil's throat is one I want to do this trip, we did some pretty cool swim throughs last year but not that one. Isn't there a ship wreck around Coz also? Shoot Christi an email for up to date pricing they had a slight increase this year but are still cheaper than other more popular dive op's, she qouted me 400 for the 3dives per day for five day's package.

Coming down June 28th - July 6th. Hotel Cozumel, Dive Paradise, with family and friends. Would love to hook up with some SBers for dinner/drinks/chit chat some evening.

Mark

Devil's throat is one I want to do this trip, we did some pretty cool swim throughs last year but not that one. Isn't there a ship wreck around Coz also? Shoot Christi an email for up to date pricing they had a slight increase this year but are still cheaper than other more popular dive op's, she qouted me 400 for the 3dives per day for five day's package.

The biggest problem is working out the details for more advanced dives like the Devil's Throat when you have less advanced divers in your group. That's why I haven't done it since 2005. Every time I go I seem to have a newbie with us. My son might be up to it by later in the trip after doing a few regular dives. He last went diving in the Keys with me and my dad last August and hasn't been on dive greater than 100 feet or any swim throughs since Cozumel in 2006. He's only logged somewhere around 30 dives total on top of that. I guess the dive master will have to see how he's doing and make the desicion for us. If I remember right, you'll have a newbie with you? If we book with your shop, maybe we can work something out with them to take us to the Devil's Throat and take the newer divers somewhere else? My GF Shirley was just certified last year but she's already logged a lot of dives in that time including two months ago doing a tight deep swim through in Grand Cayman called the Eye of the Needle which reminded me of a shorter version of the Devil's Throat. She's some kind of boyancy savant I swear! Lol From the very beginning, she handled herself as well as most divers with tons of dives logged. The last time I saw someone do that good that soon it was me! :D

The shipwreck is something like C-53 felipe something. I've never been to it. It might be fun.

The biggest problem is working out the details for more advanced dives like the Devil's Throat when you have less advanced divers in your group. That's why I haven't done it since 2005. Every time I go I seem to have a newbie with us. My son might be up to it by later in the trip after doing a few regular dives. He last went diving in the Keys with me and my dad last August and hasn't been on dive greater than 100 feet or any swim throughs since Cozumel in 2006. He's only logged somewhere around 30 dives total on top of that. I guess the dive master will have to see how he's doing and make the desicion for us. If I remember right, you'll have a newbie with you? If we book with your shop, maybe we can work something out with them to take us to the Devil's Throat and take the newer divers somewhere else? My GF Shirley was just certified last year but she's already logged a lot of dives in that time including two months ago doing a tight deep swim through in Grand Cayman called the Eye of the Needle which reminded me of a shorter version of the Devil's Throat. She's some kind of boyancy savant I swear! Lol From the very beginning, she handled herself as well as most divers with tons of dives logged. The last time I saw someone do that good that soon it was me! :D

The shipwreck is something like C-53 felipe something. I've never been to it. It might be fun.

I'm getting my daughter certifed the end of this month and would like her to get AOW before the trip, I booked this trip on my own so I won't be going with a dive shop. If we want to go to Devils Throat or somewhere more advanced I'm sure we could work something out with Chucho if there's less experienced divers with us!

One more :D

jipassov...........July 11-18th
Rogue..............July 11-18th
1kwik69............July 20-27th
jmani................July 12-18th
jwilson05...........July 7-14th
dtcmarcical........July 31st-August7th
judydivescoz.......June 27th-July 5th
oki dirt diver........July 21-30th
Marcus08............June 28th-July 6th

I'm getting my daughter certifed the end of this month and would like her to get AOW before the trip, I booked this trip on my own so I won't be going with a dive shop. If we want to go to Devils Throat or somewhere more advanced I'm sure we could work something out with Chucho if there's less experienced divers with us!
I've found that shops down there seem a lot more interested in experience than they do certification level when it comes to advanced dives. Maybe not all of them, but I've never known even a well experienced regular OW cert diver to be turned down for a more advanced dive. If they don't know you, they generally like to check you out for a couple days to see if you're ok to do the advanced stuff. I was there once with a near newbie a few years ago. They let her dive the devils throat but they required us paying for a private dive master to be her buddy. Shirley was a beginner last year as I said before, but I'm sure they'll figure out after the first day that she handles herself great and is very alert.

P.S. I emailed Chucho to see if they can accomodate us. Their web site has 5 days of three tanks for $325 and they quoted you $400? Did they really raise their rates that much?

I've found that shops down there seem a lot more interested in experience than they do certification level when it comes to advanced dives. Maybe not all of them, but I've never known even a well experienced regular OW cert diver to be turned down for a more advanced dive. If they don't know you, they generally like to check you out for a couple days to see if you're ok to do the advanced stuff. I was there once with a near newbie a few years ago. They let her dive the devils throat but they required us paying for a private dive master to be her buddy. Shirley was a beginner last year as I said before, but I'm sure they'll figure out after the first day that she handles herself great and is very alert.

P.S. I emailed Chucho to see if they can accomodate us. Their web site has 5 days of three tanks for $325 and they quoted you $400? Did they really raise their rates that much?

That's what Christi told me their rates were currently for the five day pakage. It would make sense they would do a few dives and watch people to make sure they're ready for more advanced dives first. As for getting AOW first, I feel that is just an extra step for her that would benefit her for diving in Coz. I know for myself, after diving in lakes and going to 60ft in zero vis for my AOW, that my first dive in Coz at night was a cake walk! I could see more at night diving in Coz than I could in the daytime diving lakes! Let me know what Christi tells ya :wink:

That's what Christi told me their rates were currently for the five day pakage. It would make sense they would do a few dives and watch people to make sure they're ready for more advanced dives first. As for getting AOW first, I feel that is just an extra step for her that would benefit her for diving in Coz. I know for myself, after diving in lakes and going to 60ft in zero vis for my AOW, that my first dive in Coz at night was a cake walk! I could see more at night diving in Coz than I could in the daytime diving lakes! Let me know what Christi tells ya :wink:

Oh I know all about those murkey lakes. Been diving Beaver Lake Arkansas quite a few times. I've also done Table rock and orenogo. Hell, I've even dived Party Cove at the lake of the Ozarks. Now that's some real midwest muck diving! Lol

We're also taking a look at Papa Hogs because they're right by our hotel, and also Dive with Martin. Both have really good rates. I guess it all depends on how much Christi tells me. I'll let you know.

P.S. I'm really not use to shopping a new dive shop after all these years. I hate doing it but my old shop keeps raising their rates. I know that several are priced right up there too, but it's gotten almost as expensive as Grand Cayman and they're ridiculously high. Paying for three divers is turning into a lot of money. I can't justify spending $300 more total just out of loyalty to one shop, no matter how good the service has been.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom