Cramps, causes and prevention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the words of Simon and Garfunkle: "Slow down, you Scuba too fast!"

I'm not trying to take a thing away from Dan, but it's my opinion that most divers work too hard. Way too hard. Waaaayyyy too hard. They swim circles around me and wonder why they use ungodly amounts of gas, and don't have any energy after the dive. Slow down! Slow waaaayyyy down. Learn to avoid currents and trying to keep up with that race horse buddy.

Haa :)

Just so you know Pete, I do some of my dives with Sandra at the BHB....macro dives where she might move 20 feet in 2 hours....and she has done this up to 6 hours on a tank...high tide to high tide....Meaning, I do go extremely slow sometimes....though my brain starts to explode after about 2 hours of it :)
As I was saying earlier, the ONLY times I have ever cramped, is when I am going extremely slow like this.

Just so you know Pete, I do some of my dives with Sandra at the BHB....macro dives where she might move 20 feet in 2 hours....and she has done this up to 6 hours on a tank...high tide to high tide....Meaning, I do go extremely slow sometimes....though my brain starts to explode after about 2 hours of it :)
As I was saying earlier, the ONLY times I have ever cramped, is when I am going extremely slow like this.

I'm sure there must be a word for it, when you're holding your knee bent calf up pretty much static for 6 hours... even though the effort is minimal due to buoyancy. Can't be the quite the same as "regular" swimmers leg cramps.
Another fun bit about swimmers is they cramp up fairly regularly and at some point just learn to live with it. Usual ways to deal are changing the kick and hitting the wall harder at the turn to "knock it out".

the ONLY times I have ever cramped, is when I am going extremely slow like this.
For me it's when I eat refried beans. Oh, not those kinds of cramps??? :D I have seen lots of people with cramps UW and all them were going a lot faster than I was. All of them! I, ahem, 'rest' my case. :D

For me it's when I eat refried beans. Oh, not those kinds of cramps??? :D I have seen lots of people with cramps UW and all them were going a lot faster than I was. All of them! I, ahem, 'rest' my case. :D

Well in that situation can you blame them for avoiding the area behind (or just above) you?

I'm with Dan on this one. I used to cramp from swimming too hard but now my problem is my muscles cooling down. I cramp in my easy chair after work in the summertime. Drink a lot of water and all of a sudden I'm cramping. Potassium helps it.

I'm with Dan on this one. I used to cramp from swimming too hard but now my problem is my muscles cooling down. I cramp in my easy chair after work in the summertime. Drink a lot of water and all of a sudden I'm cramping. Potassium helps it.
Yes. Generally my cramping during dives comes from a lot of finning, but not always. Likewise, I will cramp at odd times, like in a chair or in bed. General rules apply to a lot of people, but not to all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom