Curacao Diving, lodging and dining Recommendations for early July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I couldn't find anything either on the tree house. They have a relatively good rate though for just their regular garden view room ($145 night) though it's farthest from the water. Kura Hulanda was really beautiful from what we saw when we had dinner there. I'm looking into a trip staying there in November possibly, mainly because Kura Hulanda is perfect for family or friends that are not divers and have kids with them. It has a nice pool area, nice beach area, good restaurants on the property and we loved the diving around that area in Westpunt. Just down the road from Sunshine's for some pizza! Only note would be that Ocean Encounters does not seem to have 24 hour shore diving available if that matters to you. They seemed to close up shop around 5pm or a little later. They did offer night dives but you'd have to ask Andreas how they work that. Otherwise you might be able to use Habitats tanks for night dives on their shore dive. It's about a 20-30 minute drive, just keep that in mind.

Almost forgot about the wind, we were just there in June when it should be really hot. The constant wind really cools it down, I think you'll be fine in Sept.

I will try to remember to ask about the spawning updated schedule, but you know about my "mentalpause", so don't ostrisize me for forgetting, lol.
Had a great dive today with Jim and Robin(ffixer). We saw a huge Moray, and a cute squid who showed off for us. We had a nice easy hour dive on the house reef here at habitat. After my morning boat here I am joining them on Ocean encounters boat with andreas for the watamula dive. The meeting David, possibly Jim and Robin, 2 more people andreas told me about,(dogenius and someone else I believe) for a dive at Alice in wonderland......Whooo hooo let's get wet and stay that way!

Well I better get to sleep, ltr all,
Dragon

Okay, asked Marie(easy divers) about spawning schedule, she will be posting it soon.
delphinus(sp?), got your message, will be meeting ffixer and wife for a dive and dinner later (along with sunshine and david) so I will attempt to remember to ask him to take pics of tree house for you.

Had 2 dives with David last night, left my camera on shore for the night dive ( was my 5th of the day and I just wanted a relaxing dive) so of course we saw everything!!!!
Best dive yet, and my trucks alarm system made it even more interesting, lol. more later, time for a nap. Can't wait to get home and post some pics, once I figure out how. tried once from here but couldn't get them to load.

Having a great Dive Trip at the lodge.

Sol Food is the place to go for good food and great conversation. The shore diving has been excellent and boat dive to Watamula (spelling?) was as good as it gets, great reef in perfect condition. Nice HUGE green moray eel at Habitat; 40 to 50 yards to right in 40 feet of water, living inside of coral head.

Dragon HD and the wife and I did a couple of dives together. Tonight I will try my first night dive with Dragon and David from Sol Food.

Only interesting thing to note outside of diving..... open air dinning is the norm. Road signs are few and far between, but we have managed....thanks Sunshine!

More later.

Dragon, did you rent a budget truck? We rented a little Yaris from them and the alarm system (not an alarm system from the car manufacturer but added later) kept going off all throughout our trip. There was a "system" we had to follow to make sure it didn't go off while trying to get in or out of the car.

Dragon, did you rent a budget truck? We rented a little Yaris from them and the alarm system (not an alarm system from the car manufacturer but added later) kept going off all throughout our trip. There was a "system" we had to follow to make sure it didn't go off while trying to get in or out of the car.

My recommendation would be to rent from anyone BUT Budget! I had the same thing happen when I rented that Yaris. It would auto lock and then if you didn't have the key with you when you tried to open the door, of course the alarm would sound. It took 10 minutes each time to figure out how to not set off the alarm when locking the car ... what a pain in the tuckus. That car also later had a flat tire and a rattle that drove us crazy. They intentionally take the wheel hubcaps off the tires, so it makes the car easy for 'others' to spot. National, Hertz, Thrifty, Avis are all okay.

Flamingo
Flamingo Villa.com

Just got back from Curacao, stayed at Lodge Kura Hulanda and it was great! Had an upstairs suite with an awsome view ( room 208 ) Food was great, figure around $100.00 a day for 2 people for lunch and dinner. Breakfast buffet is $17.00 was ok, noting special. The diving doesn't get any easier than this!! Giant stride off the boat, do a 60 minute dive, 3 minute safety stop and the boat comes and picks you up. I thought the eating establishments outside of the Loge left a lot to be desired. Great place for lunch downtown is Bon Tapas.

We survived! Air Jamaica was slowwww on the way home 2 1/2 hours late. Sol Food is the place to eat! Not only are Sunshine and David great company, they are an endless source of information that will help you enjoy the island. I enjoyed several dives with David and also dragonhd (scubaboard member). David was a great guide on several shore dives, so we saw the best parts of reefs and never got lost to from the beaches. Very little signage on the island especially secondary roads.

Did I mention that all meals at Sol Food were GREAT!!!!!

I'll give detailed report later.

Today is first down time day from trip as we are still settling-in and unpacking, cleaning gear ect. The lodge is Very nice with lots of green and flowers, exceptional service. Please note that garden-view studio has no fridge or "kitchen" so you would have to eat out. Also it is a long walk from main area to the last studio and there was work going on to expand the site, so ask for the closest garden view. We upgraded to Ocean front suite 2nd floor with King bed; got manager to agree to $60 night plus tax for the room, retail $200 night for upgrade. The Lodge is a gated community, petty theft, auto break-in is a Big issue from what we were told; so, leave nothing in your car!
Tree house is accessed by a tree ladder, made of tree parts (not flat) so the steps are round, about eight I think to the trap door. I got photos from inside and outside the tent. I did notice several holes in screening up to the size of a quarter, Our bed was very firm and not a pillow top so not as nice as I would expect at this level of accommodations. OK, I'm spoiled with my bed at home latex mattress has no springs. Looked good inside, no "kitchen" bath was downstairs. stall one shower and stall two hopper and sink. Though stalls were closed the rest of the lower area is open; there was reading area on the upper deck. I'll try to get photos out soon.

We saved 25% off lodge rate and got the best airfare on cheapCaribbean.com
USE promo code "PROMO900214486" and save $50.00 dollars on your CheapCaribbean.com vacation!
Regards,
Jim (ffixxer)

$60 a night for oceanfront! How did you work that? I've been looking at heading back and staying there (more for other family members to have a nice beach and pool). I really don't want to stay in a garden room because it did look really far from the pool and beach. I've only seen garden room for as low as $140 a night. Did you have a great view?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom