Current State Of Rebreather Electronics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go with the JJ, new or old. It is better to be diving something similar to your buddies.

While a JJ isn't my first choice of rebreather, I'd also echo going with a JJ since that's what all your friends dive.

I am not especially experienced (on OC or CCR, really), but my rEvo has a Predator DiveCAN controller and I replaced the original HUD with a NERD2 (Fischer cable) and AI transmitters in place of the original SPGs. I REALLY like this setup.

I try to keep up with the other options on the market and I haven't heard of anything that I would prefer to a Shearwater wrist controller (Predator or Petrel) and NERD2 for HUD.

I think the X does integrate tank pressures into the Petrel controller (via DiveCAN, not wireless). That would be nice. But, if all your buddies dive JJs, that (and the other minor details about X vs JJ) does not seem like a good enough reason to buy an X over a JJ.

One thing I was surprised about is when I learned that the NERD with wet-mateable connector is proprietary to whatever unit you connect it to. There are a few that are interchangeable (I've heard). But, for example, the wet-mateable NERD for rEvo is not interchangeable with any other CCR. And there are other versions of the NERD that use that same DiveCAN-style connector that are definitely not interchangeable with each other or the rEvo.

On the other hand, the NERD with Fischer cable can be used with pretty much any CCR, I think. At least, any CCR that has a Fischer connection option available.

There are some interesting electronics being developed by Kevin Juergensen. If anyone is interested, DM me, and I can share some information.

I don't know of a single manufacturer using Kevin's stuff anymore. Everyone switched to Shearwater, and for good reason. Hell, even if I had a Mk15/.5/16 I'd pick up an AV1 over a Hammerhead.

Whatever he produces in the future is gonna have an uphill climb. At that point, why would the consumer want to take the risk when the gold standard in rebreather controllers is actually really good at what it does?

I don't know of a single manufacturer using Kevin's stuff anymore. Everyone switched to Shearwater, and for good reason. Hell, even if I had a Mk15/.5/16 I'd pick up an AV1 over a Hammerhead.

Whatever he produces in the future is gonna have an uphill climb. At that point, why would the consumer want to take the risk when the gold standard in rebreather controllers is actually really good at what it does?

I like to evaluate new technology for its merits.

Adoption is another matter. Shearwater has a long track record of a solid product and customer service second to none not just in the diving industry, but in all industries.

@wetb4igetinthewater does @JohnnyC 's response sound familiar to what I said in PM? I promise that he and I have not only never met, but did not talk about this prior to that message....

Like I said in there, as good as it looks on paper, and I'm sure it performs as well as it looks, the history of abysmal customer service from that company is enough to turn everyone off from adopting it, and I doubt any CCR manufacturers would switch over either....

@wetb4igetinthewater does @JohnnyC 's response sound familiar to what I said in PM? I promise that he and I have not only never met, but did not talk about this prior to that message....

Like I said in there, as good as it looks on paper, and I'm sure it performs as well as it looks, the history of abysmal customer service from that company is enough to turn everyone off from adopting it, and I doubt any CCR manufacturers would switch over either....

Tom,

I never suspected of any collusion. I "know" you and JohnnyC from here on SB, and I expect nothing but each of your own personal opinion based upon knowledge and experience.

But again, I'm always interested in what can be developed. The cost may or may not be there. The customer service may or may not be there. The promises may or may not be there. But I'm still curious. When it comes to OC diving, you can take my Shearwaters from my cold, dead fingers. But I'll still look at competitors.

@wetb4igetinthewater I'll be the first to say that Shearwater needs a legit competitor in this industry. Competition is good and frankly they have none and need it. Unfortunately JMI has bad history with much of it being recent with the Poseidon issues and I just don't think they're the ones to really compete in that market. OSTC is probably closest but their CEO has told me directly that they have no intention of distributing in the US at all. Divesoft is close but with no air integration I really don't see them going into the recreational market. Could change in a few years, but who knows. What you sent me looks amazing, and if they had a fischer cable, at a grand for a pair of them I'd bite for shits and giggles, but I need standalone computers like I need a hole in the head right now and with phantomware of upcoming upgrades to bore a hole into the side, it's not something I'll bit at quite yet.

@wetb4igetinthewater I'll be the first to say that Shearwater needs a legit competitor in this industry. Competition is good and frankly they have none and need it. Unfortunately JMI has bad history with much of it being recent with the Poseidon issues and I just don't think they're the ones to really compete in that market. OSTC is probably closest but their CEO has told me directly that they have no intention of distributing in the US at all. Divesoft is close but with no air integration I really don't see them going into the recreational market. Could change in a few years, but who knows. What you sent me looks amazing, and if they had a fischer cable, at a grand for a pair of them I'd bite for shits and giggles, but I need standalone computers like I need a hole in the head right now and with phantomware of upcoming upgrades to bore a hole into the side, it's not something I'll bit at quite yet.
Tom,

I’m just interested in the feature set and to see if people will say hey it would be nice if Shearwater added that feature . I haven’t entered into the rebreather market yet so I’m planning to . Just the upcoming baby arriving in November is making me hold off spending that kind of money . But I need to given the time I need for my project in Greece

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom