Current Status of Fill Station Owned/Operated by Stathis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the nonsense comment related to the implied connection between using nitrox or getting a chamber ride. I have not seen any evidence that use of nitrox decreases your risk of DCS. Of course, it slows nitrogen loading which allows you to stay down longer before reaching your nitrogen limit but when dived to the limits your loading is the same. Of course, if you use nitrox and dive to air limits then your loading will be reduced but I don't know too many who do that. You would almost need to dive with two computers, one set to air and one set to nitrox.
Here is some anecdotal evidence for you about DCS. I've been running a liveaboard since 1998. Same liveaboard. During that time, we see about 500 customers per year, who complete in average 7500 dives. From 1998 to 2006, we charged an extra $10 per day for nitrox, some used it, some didn't. In 2006 we raised the price for the dive trip to include nitrox, so most everyone used it. From 1998 to 2006 I saw 4-8 cases of DCS per year, which meant we had to bring the trip home early. Since 2006 we've seen zero cases of the DCS, and one case of Immersion Pulmonary Edema, and suspect a second case, but both of those divers were on rebreathers.

Key word, anecdotal. I've been working as a DM last 8 years on the sister liveaboard where we have both air and nitrox, and I am not aware of bringing any trips home early for DCS. The Spree moved to Key West around 2008, maybe it was the change of venue?

I think the nonsense comment related to the implied connection between using nitrox or getting a chamber ride. I have not seen any evidence that use of nitrox decreases your risk of DCS. Of course, it slows nitrogen loading which allows you to stay down longer before reaching your nitrogen limit but when dived to the limits your loading is the same. Of course, if you use nitrox and dive to air limits then your loading will be reduced but I don't know too many who do that. You would almost need to dive with two computers, one set to air and one set to nitrox.

I agree with you somewhat, have mixed feelings whether it helps prevent or not. A large portion of the divers here are using aluminum 80's so they're somewhat limited but you still see the folks getting out of the ambulance. Last two I seen go into the hospital were from op's that use 80's - I overheard the one's problem and seen the second one on O2..... Being around the hospital - it tends to open your eyes as to what happens.

I see guides using 36 on first and second dives, get a guide that isn't paying attention, combined with a diver that isn't paying attention and there's a chance someone gets hurt. The divers not knowing and or paying attention is another thing entirely - you working on a LOB have probably overheard and seen the same things I have.

The destination diver can cause his/her own problems with the drinking, dehydration, health and even lack of knowledge. Anything to help tip that scale back even is good in my book.

Is it safer, maybe yes - it's the maybe part that makes me all for it. It definetly can make no difference whatsoever too..... I don't dive tomorrow but do the day after, I'll set one to 32 and one to air and post the profiles.......

Divers take themselves way too seriously. What is a distinguished dive exactly?

Nah - not at all. I wanna have fun is all, safely. I am very fortunate in the group I get to dive with - I get to do everything from 135 minute critter hunts (first dive was 128 minutes) to doing every swim thru in Punta Sur multiple ways on the same dive. I get to dive with my son, wife, family and friends - they all want to dive some different way and we're fortunate to be able to.

I live here now and sometimes I take those "normal" what all you vacation divers do dives for granted. Following the leader around the same old path is OK maybe every six months but not every week or every other week. A distinguished dive to me is when you go wow after or during the dive. Maybe it's the light different that day, maybe you found a pipe horse - cause I can't see em for nothin, whatever - but mostly involves diving the same site differently.

One of the things I really like about diving is seeing other peoples faces, hearing them talk at SI or just on the boat - when you see the wow in their eyes, it's sorta cool. That goes right along with keeping people safe, God forbid if the day ever comes that I have to drag someone into the boat give them O2 or worse yet CPR - this is supposed to be fun and exciting. If breathing some enriched air has even the slightest chance of keeping you safer - I'd like to see you using it.

Nothing really shows up but I'm referring to @BRT quote from @Wookie

I remember that quote from him - he's one that seems to have been here there and everywhere and I think I'll just take his word on that, hell, what's it hurt?

I agree with you somewhat, have mixed feelings whether it helps prevent or not. A large portion of the divers here are using aluminum 80's so they're somewhat limited but you still see the folks getting out of the ambulance. Last two I seen go into the hospital were from op's that use 80's - I overheard the one's problem and seen the second one on O2..... Being around the hospital - it tends to open your eyes as to what happens.

I see guides using 36 on first and second dives, get a guide that isn't paying attention, combined with a diver that isn't paying attention and there's a chance someone gets hurt. The divers not knowing and or paying attention is another thing entirely - you working on a LOB have probably overheard and seen the same things I have.

The destination diver can cause his/her own problems with the drinking, dehydration, health and even lack of knowledge. Anything to help tip that scale back even is good in my book.

Is it safer, maybe yes - it's the maybe part that makes me all for it. It definetly can make no difference whatsoever too..... I don't dive tomorrow but do the day after, I'll set one to 32 and one to air and post the profiles.......

Nah - not at all. I wanna have fun is all, safely. I am very fortunate in the group I get to dive with - I get to do everything from 135 minute critter hunts (first dive was 128 minutes) to doing every swim thru in Punta Sur multiple ways on the same dive. I get to dive with my son, wife, family and friends - they all want to dive some different way and we're fortunate to be able to.

I live here now and sometimes I take those "normal" what all you vacation divers do dives for granted. Following the leader around the same old path is OK maybe every six months but not every week or every other week. A distinguished dive to me is when you go wow after or during the dive. Maybe it's the light different that day, maybe you found a pipe horse - cause I can't see em for nothin, whatever - but mostly involves diving the same site differently.

One of the things I really like about diving is seeing other peoples faces, hearing them talk at SI or just on the boat - when you see the wow in their eyes, it's sorta cool. That goes right along with keeping people safe, God forbid if the day ever comes that I have to drag someone into the boat give them O2 or worse yet CPR - this is supposed to be fun and exciting. If breathing some enriched air has even the slightest chance of keeping you safer - I'd like to see you using it.

Nothing really shows up but I'm referring to @BRT quote from @Wookie

I remember that quote from him - he's one that seems to have been here there and everywhere and I think I'll just take his word on that, hell, what's it hurt?
It is hard for me to believe that staying further from NDL's could ever be bad and that is what we do with nitrox.

It is hard for me to believe that staying further from NDL's could ever be bad and that is what we do with nitrox.
Stay further from NDL by not getting in the water. Stay home and take up gardening.

Nitrox is for extending bottom time, but the voodoo gas has a cult following that claim it heals acne, etc.

Stay further from NDL by not getting in the water. Stay home and take up gardening.

Nitrox is for extending bottom time, but the voodoo gas has a cult following that claim it heals acne, etc.

Well it does firm up old wrinkly butts LOL

I guess if I stay home and garden I won't have to worry about carbon monoxide either.

Funny that I can post on this thread, but on some other threads - it tries to load, then fails. Some direct messages even fail.

No, "we" don't. When you say "we" are you talking about yourself? Because most people I know dive nitrox to extend bottom time and when you do that, if you've set your computer to your mix, you are approaching the same NDL and same nitrogen loading as when diving air.

No, "we" don't. When you say "we" are you talking about yourself? Because most people I know dive nitrox to extend bottom time and when you do that, if you've set your computer to your mix, you are approaching the same NDL and same nitrogen loading as when diving air.

We haven't had this argument on the Coz board in so long. I missed it. So if I dove air and was forced up by a lack of bottom time or instead I switched to nitrox and was forced up by a lack of gas with plenty of bottom time left, would that not indicated that on the second dive I ended with less nitrogen loading which would indicate a higher margin of safety?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom